EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Will 93 later bags fit 90 EG

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 11:27 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I believe you have to use the later mount too...or at least do some drilling...and you have to move the battery.
That's correct.

One of my "someday/maybe" projects is to replace my bags with '14+ "OneTouch" style bags.

From my limited looking into this, there are two big issues:

- Figure out a way to relocate the battery. My plan is to fab up some sort of battery holder that will fit in the space inside the frame, under the seat, and convert to one of the new (and much smaller) Lithium Iron batteries.

- Some pretty complete re-engineering of the brackets and such, particularly on the right side of the bike. The current bracket/crash bar thing is integral with the battery tray, so all that has to get redesigned, probably involving welding a tang to the frame and fabbing a right side crash bar that's a mirror image of the one on the left.

There are also the questions of whether or not the support bar under the bag will fit into the channel on the new bags, and whether that has to be re-engineered as well. I don't think the two bars that wrap around the bags will fit at all, so my intention is to just eliminate them entirely.

Then there is the question of whether the lid of the new bag will clear the seat bracket, so potentially that will need to be modified as well.

After all that, the panel that covers the oil bag will still need to be trimmed back.

One alternative to all that that I've given some thought to is to eliminate all the bars and brackets completely, and have the bags just hang from the two mounting bolts. That would certainly make this a much easier project, but I'm not so sure it's good idea. I don't know how much strength is provided by the bar that runs under the bag.

All of which is to say, it is likely that the mounting holes on the bags don't line up with the frame, so you'll have to drill new holes in the bags, but that is the least of your troubles.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by back again
I should have been a little clearer with question.
Will the whole 93 and later bags bolt up to the frame mounts? Thanks
Sort of! As Tom points out the battery has to be relocated, which I have put under the seat, alongside the oilbag. Others have replaced the transmission for the later type, to do away with the oilbag.

The later bags are intended to be mounted further away from the frame than the earlier bikes are. What I have done with my bike and the later bags is to use the rear mounting, as per the old bags, but I had to make a simple bracket to support the front of each bag. I simply cut away the battery on my r/h crashbar.

Here is my thread on fitting those bags, although I see I really should finish writing it up! You should still find some ueful info there.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

Why not just go with the lid listed by JP ... Paint it and be done. A word of advice. Many have used a "hitch pin" on the front tongue. It ensures that the front will not come open and allow the bag lid to fly in the breeze.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Further to 0maha's reply above, some of his points are covered above and in my thread, via the link. In addition:
  • The later bags fit the old bag-rails, after cutting back the battery tray,
  • I don't have the wrap-around rails, so can't comment, although I do show both bags beside each other, to indicate their different sizes,
  • I modified the seat handle (well my brother did), but it did require a red and black wrench (oxy-acetylene!),
  • I have Police bags and have raised the tourpak to provide clearance for the lids.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:00 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Why not just go with the lid listed by JP ... Paint it and be done. A word of advice. Many have used a "hitch pin" on the front tongue. It ensures that the front will not come open and allow the bag lid to fly in the breeze.
I hired a Tour Glide back in the '80s while visiting Florida and suffered that embarrassment. Didn't see the lid go and had to return the bike without it, although I'm pleased to say I wasn't charged. In the case of my FLHS, despite having owned it from new I have never had any problems with the lids, indeed only learned about using hitch pins many years after buying it. The benefits of having the internet and HDF, eh?!

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (06-05-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 08:08 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,337 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Neighbor went the JP lid route . Thanks for all the responses everyone.