EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Carb bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:19 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by jurob
My RK is one of the bikes I used as an example for preferring efi over a carb. It is a stage 2 95cu with a power commander. With a canned tune it started and ran fantastic for me, for thousands of miles. Just that bike alone allows me whatever opinion I want.

Ace decided to attack me and also pm me because I prefer efi, ace, have you owned an efi Harley or any other efi bike?

I also prefer the tc over the evo, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it as I have owned more than 1 of each.
No attack a opinion. Don't know nothing about EFI. Have a carbed Evo that holds it's own against EFI TC's. Didn't PM you either maybe a member named Ace did?

Last edited by 1997bagger; 05-16-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:29 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,678 Likes on 1,665 Posts

For me, my carb'd Evo is my last line of defense against a technology-saturated world.

When I got back on two wheels a few years ago (after my lean time finally worked itself out), I thought long and hard about this. Too many computers in my life already. I decided that my bike would be the one thing that was still all analog.

Since then, we've seen the pressure the EPA is putting on the MoCo. Buy a new M8 and you can only get the tune that the EPA says you can have, or lose your warranty.

That just rubs me the wrong way.

I'm not anti-FI. I'm just pretty much an anarchist who is sick of every single thing getting regulated. I figure the best way to "resist" is to just not play along.

The following 4 users liked this post by 0maha:
81rat (05-17-2017), aces&8s (05-17-2017), Campy Roadie (05-24-2017), Yankee Dog (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 06:19 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,466 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
For me, my carb'd Evo is my last line of defense against a technology-saturated world.

When I got back on two wheels a few years ago (after my lean time finally worked itself out), I thought long and hard about this. Too many computers in my life already. I decided that my bike would be the one thing that was still all analog.

Since then, we've seen the pressure the EPA is putting on the MoCo. Buy a new M8 and you can only get the tune that the EPA says you can have, or lose your warranty.

That just rubs me the wrong way.

I'm not anti-FI. I'm just pretty much an anarchist who is sick of every single thing getting regulated. I figure the best way to "resist" is to just not play along.
Well said Omaha!!!!!!

Old 05-17-2017, 07:49 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
No attack a opinion. Don't know nothing about EFI. Have a carbed Evo that holds it's own against EFI TC's. Didn't PM you either maybe a member named Ace did?
Yea, Jurob personally PM me first. I answerd, " why would I want a headache." Then he post I PM him and attacked him. He does not know me at all or he would know when I go full pit bull it aint pretty. LMAO

Old 05-17-2017, 08:11 AM
DaddyFlip
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

What's cool to me about a carb bike is you do the tuning with small parts that are in your hands; you can see, touch, TASTE the tuning process - it's physical/mechanical. On FI bikes, the tuning takes place in a black box and/or on a screen. No doubt, FI is probably the better mousetrap, newer, more advanced, etc. Both bikes in my sig are carb bikes (the Kawi 750 has four carbs!). I had newer FI I-3 and I-4 bikes that I eventually traded or sold; for my bike dollar, I like older stuff.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:03 AM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aces&8s
Yea, Jurob personally PM me first. I answerd, " why would I want a headache." Then he post I PM him and attacked him. He does not know me at all or he would know when I go full pit bull it aint pretty. LMAO
Full pit Bull? What a tool! Internet bad ***!

I pm'd you first? What about this pm pit bull? "Please return to evo forum and explain to us your great injection wisdom"

Remember, you have never owned a fuel injected bike.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:33 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by jurob
Full pit Bull? What a tool! Internet bad ***!

I pm'd you first? What about this pm pit bull? "Please return to evo forum and explain to us your great injection wisdom"

Remember, you have never owned a fuel injected bike.
You need to lower the dose of your meds. I never told you I did not have a FI... I did have a FI and could not sell it quick enough.
If you have not figured out my side of the story yet its because of your reading comprehension skills.
I am a animal lover and don't believe in "attacking" dumb animals. So take your thin skinned cry baby azz back to your momma's basement and don't interrupt when grown ups are talking.

The following users liked this post:
81rat (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 05:59 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Smile

I crack myself up

Last edited by aces&8s; 05-17-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by aces&8s
I crack myself up
So you are Ace, I'll go on with life then.

I have mentioned before about the flat EFI idle that killed the Evo soul, went as far as removing the center divider of the plenom causing cylinder cross talk allowing the Evo idle. The downfall of the open divider was more air but the M&M ran out of fuel delivery to match the air for a 100 hp Evo. Since I had extensive back ground in EFI and being stubborn it was going to work, fought trying to control detonation with the M&M on the edge of fuel delivering even with red injectors finally giving in to a carb.

Tuned a CV carb with the same Wego system that I built the EFI map with on the same engine. Couldn't get the Afr"s under 14.5 roll on throttle with the EFI and the carb could easily flood it, got my 13.6 running down the road plus throttle roll on would pull back to 12.8 with the carb accell pump and clean back up to 13.6 which is safe with compression, a solid 13.2 wide open throttle was obtained. The engine with EFI would only run with the stroked Shovelhead buddies soon pulled away from them with a modded CV carb, the 45 Mikuni gave it even a little bit more.

Although I make my living with diagnostics of EFI on medium and large commercial engines, still can make a carb do what it takes for everyday riding. The aftermarket bored R1 carb works flawlessly on a 130" engine that are known to be finicky with street manors.

Still will stand by a carb is the answer on a Evo from having both on the same engine which was the 89". The 130" tamed with a carb drives the point

Last edited by 1997bagger; 05-17-2017 at 10:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
81rat (05-18-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 10:48 PM
98FLHP
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It's simple to me. I grew up with carbs and points. I know every which way to R&R, tweak, diagnose, repair, etc, even on the side of the road. They work for me. I feel comfortable with them.
I do enjoy electronic ignition, it's nice not to have to adjust/change points. I enjoy fuel injection on my truck. But my Evo Harley will stay carbed because that's the way I like it.
If you want FI on your ****, do it. I couldn't GAF less. It's yours, not mine.

Quick Reply: Carb bikes