EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Question about evo sportster

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Not sure if it affects 1992 year, but do a search on sportster rotor magnets. Heads up whenever electrical/charging issues. Yd

Old 05-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

I wouldn't conclude it's a starter until I've seen how old the battery is. Those symptoms really sound like an old battery and possible bad cable connections.

X2 on checking the tires. Those will add cost to the deal.

Everything else should be normally fluid changes.

Really depends on what you value your TJ at. The Sportster isn't going to depreciate much from that $3000-$3250 price range over the next several years. But a rusting TJ will.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:22 AM
Evoken
Tourer
Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't necessarily value the tj very high, right now it is just holding the asphalt down in my driveway. Like I said I just don't drive it, I think we put 900 mi on it in the last 2 years. When it's nice we ride, when it's crappy we both have 4x4 vehicles. I have done a lot of work to it recently so there is value in that.

I don't have it advertised on the net, I don't want to deal with all the bozos, scammers, etc. The guy sounds interested and I've sent him a ton of photos of all the rust and whatnot. Someone interested in it for what it is could make it nice fairly easy, it's not in terrible shape.

He has the sporty priced at 2500 or trade for jeep, so all I can do is look at it while he looks at the jeep. Worst that can happen is we don't agree. Had a guy look at it about 6 weeks ago, same deal looking to trade a sporty. His was a turd, poorly bobbed and clearly lived outside. But since it had drag pipes on it he thought it was worth 5k, it was an old iron head. Bad paint, bad chrome, rough sounding engine. But it won a trophy 10 years ago!
Guys like that is why I don't have it posted on the net. It is what it is, I know what to look for mechanically and have been upfront with him. Time will tell, I just hope he is not a time waster.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

If he's got it listed for $2500, and it's a true 1200 with 15k miles, it is a very good deal. You got any pics of it?

Old 05-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Evoken
Tourer

Here are the pics he sent me. Don't look to bad.

Attached Thumbnails Question about evo sportster-00t0t_y5ixajgurc_600x450.jpg   Question about evo sportster-00i0i_4imolx7qubi_600x450.jpg  
Old 05-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,440 Likes on 2,773 Posts

A couple of thoughts, everything said previously is good info.

- not rock solid clue, but if the motor is stock, the 883 cylinders and heads will be silver, a 1200 will be black with polished fins. The bike is old, lots could have happened in 25 years, but it is a start
- Those starters are pretty bullet proof. My 1991 with 27k miles still has the original starter. I will definitely go battery first
- $3k is the ball park depending condition and running. If not running, $2.5k or so
- the bike in general is pretty bullet proof as long as it was not beaten to death. I let my 1991 sit for four years, then got her back on the road with about an hour worth of fussing. Then let sit again for three years, even less time and a new battery and she was back on the road. The obvious stuff needs to be dealt with, fluids and anything made of rubber

I just saw the pics, that is a 1200. I forgot about the black and silver wheels as well, 883 would have been all silver. Looks like a nice clean bike.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Evoken
I see a bone stock 1200 with the following exceptions, none of which are a negative:

- front highway bars/crash bars
- windshield
- saddle bags
- slip on mufflers
- sissy bar
- chrome belt guard

Good find, I would get it if it does everything it is supposed to do, being start, stop go down the road etc.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Not bone stock, but pretty much. Here is my 1991 1200 from about 7 years ago for your reference. Bars and pipes changed, 883 solo seat and S&S carb.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Evoken
I'd be tempted at $2500 to get it, clean it up a bit, and flip it. Or just keep it for an around town bike.

Really wonder why he has it price that low? Probably just wants to get rid of it, and that makes for a good deal, if it doesn't have any hidden surprises.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Evoken
Tourer

All good info, thanks guys. Hopefully this guy is legit. I'm pretty good with my hands and grew up poor so I buy a lot of used/broken stuff. Have a small farm so I buy used equipment, tractors and the like. More than once however I've had to deal with guys that think they are car salesmen. Advertise at a low price and when you look at something it's " well I got someone that offered me x$ more" " I really need to get this out of it". I'm sure you know the type being evo guys. I'm busy so I hate guys like that just wasting my time.

Quick Reply: Question about evo sportster