EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Final Evo Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:14 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,396 Likes on 3,609 Posts
Default Final Evo Build

After my second mishap with cranks I'm hoping this will be my last build for this motor. I won't be changing or modifying this build again and am confident it will last for a long long time.

I just picked up my motor yesterday from Hillside. Thanx Scott for taking time out of your personal time and meeting me on a Sunday to help me out. It was nice chatting with you again... Greatly appreciated. 600 miles round trip in 17 hours so I'm a little dopey today.

Anyways, started assembling the oil pump lines and filter mount. Lined up the motor to the trans with my Baker primary motor plate and got it all snugged down so the alignment is done. Tonight I'll be assembling the primary drive, charging system and starter. Once that's done I'll start assembling the rear head and adjust the pushrods setting the preload to .140" . Once that is done I'll be able to confirm my target compression of 10.3:1. (43* ivc). Special Cam I had Bob Wood grind for me...

J&E are the only piston manufacturer that could supply me with what I needed to get the motor up to 10.3:1. They are 30* angle top's and are .020" over bore putting the cylinder bore at 3.645". Couple that with my S&S 4 5/8” crank it's putting the displacement right at 96.5 cubic inches.... I'm pretty fortunate that the Cometic head gasket was just barley big enough for my bore....

For the heads, I had Scott supply me with a new set of heads that he worked up to stage III. A lot of the D shelf was remove to accommodate the 1.94" intake valve and a 1.65" exhaust. If you look closely you can see how the D shelf was also dished out for the Piston as well. With all the machining to the heads, the combustion chambers are now very big requiring the use of the 30* angle to pistons to get me to my target compression...

I didn't realize all the work that had to go into the heads to accommodate the 30* piston dome. Not only that, another thing I noticed was the small chamber around the entire combustion chamber, Scott said it was necessary and is precisely measured to get the proper combustion chamber size and will also aide in the fuel burn efficiency... and yes I did have compression releases installed... oh yes forgot to mention the AV&V valves and springs good to .650" of lift...

Check out the intake and exhaust ports, man this motor is going to breath well. He initially qouted 278 CFM... Not bad for a small block, eh?

I must say I'm really impressed with his work and am sure I'll be just as impressed with the power

I almost forgot to mention why I went this far with this build is because the left case main bearing sleeve was trashed due to a bad crank that was installed else where. Scott took care of the as well. He machined his own sleeve and mechanically fastened it to the case. Bullet proof now... I'm sure. Here's a couple pics of that as well..

That's about it for now I will update my progress as it goes....

Thanx again Scott.....

Old 05-08-2017, 11:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Thumbs up

Fascinating - look forward to seing more and hearing how well it runs.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,394 Likes on 2,751 Posts

Good luck

Old 05-08-2017, 12:44 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,673 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Holy crap! Those ports look amazing! Wow!!!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:20 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Architect
Good luck
Thanx, it'll get there eventually...

Originally Posted by grbrown
Fascinating - look forward to seing more and hearing how well it runs.
as I continue the work, i will post...

Originally Posted by 0maha
Holy crap! Those ports look amazing! Wow!!!
Yea Scott does do nice work. we'll see what the butt says.... All in good time....

Old 05-08-2017, 08:31 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Nice work !

I knew Scott was good, but haven't used his services, yet.
God willing one day I will.
I owe him a solid. He gave me some info of what I was trying to machine & was good enough to tell me a trade secret. Stand up guy, in my book.
I like how he Dutch keyed the sleeve in.
I've sleeved many a housing bore , using that technique.
It ain't moving!
Hope it all works out for ya.

Ride Safe,
Harold

Old 05-08-2017, 08:54 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 667 Posts

What intake manifold are you going to use? Did he port match the intake to the manifold for sealing? It looks amazing!

Old 05-09-2017, 06:25 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LowriderHarold
I knew Scott was good, but haven't used his services, yet.
God willing one day I will.
I owe him a solid. He gave me some info of what I was trying to machine & was good enough to tell me a trade secret. Stand up guy, in my book.
I like how he Dutch keyed the sleeve in.
I've sleeved many a housing bore , using that technique.
It ain't moving!
Hope it all works out for ya.

Ride Safe,
Harold
Yes he is. I've known him for quite some time now. I used to live up there. Nothing like cow country....

Originally Posted by misfitJason
What intake manifold are you going to use? Did he port match the intake to the manifold for sealing? It looks amazing!
Yea, it's the S&S E intake. Everything was port matched to 1.80". Should breath rather well....

Old 05-09-2017, 06:46 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

That's going to be sweet. Which bike is it going into?

Old 05-09-2017, 06:46 AM
jcsurf
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That work looks super clean!!! I cant wait to get my heads back from him. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Final Evo Build