EVO All Evo Model Discussion

The Magnetti Morrelli

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:09 AM
Speedspeed
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The Magnetti Morrelli

I have a 99 RK..I always had a minor popping with the stock exhaust.I switched it up and thru on a set of Samnson True Duels,with straight pipes..Put on an A.N stage 1 Big Sucker..Followed by a Power Commander..We Adjusted The Power Commander 3 different Times..Just to find out I had a Exhaust leak in the rear Intake Manifold flange..After putting new Sensors for the F.I..We just cant get the Idle Correct..It starts up with a very low Idle.Kinda like a hot idle...then after riding it..it seems the idle creeps up just a little..kinda like a cold Idle..Would the Power commander be something I need to adjust??? just kinda at a lost right now

Old 04-11-2017, 12:09 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

A 99 RK would have a twin cam BUT I think they may have still used the MM FI system. Someone else will know.

what sensors did you replace?

My experience with that situation is your throttle position sensor needs to be set, both the hot and cold idles need to be checked and adjusted as well.

Could also be that your head temp sensor is bad. Do you have any fault codes showing?

carl

Old 04-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Speedspeed
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
A 99 RK would have a twin cam BUT I think they may have still used the MM FI system. Someone else will know.

what sensors did you replace?

My experience with that situation is your throttle position sensor needs to be set, both the hot and cold idles need to be checked and adjusted as well.

Could also be that your head temp sensor is bad. Do you have any fault codes showing?

carl

we put the Throttle Body Sensor and also the Stepper Motor

Old 04-11-2017, 01:39 PM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Could be the new Throttle position sensor is out of adjustment, Bad Engine Temperature Sensor or Bd Air Intake Temperature Sensor. The temp sensors can be checked with and ohms meter. There is a chart in the Factory Service Manual.

The following users liked this post:
Speedspeed (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 05:36 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,788 Likes on 891 Posts

Follow step by step on setting the TPS by the video sent to you so you know it is right. You need to know if the stepper motor is moving when turn on ignition power cold, if it doesn't move then you have a problem, start up idle should ramp up. EFI will still gain rpm's slightly when warmed up from cold with no fast idle working. don't know how many rpm's you are gaining.

If you installed a TPS it is still best to pull the ECM fuse for a reset and relearn situation, it is in the video at the end. Set it step by step by the video.

On the Power Commander question, they can only add or remove fuel and timing, doesn't have a direct ability to control idle, if you have to start adding fuel or removing fuel at idle using the PC3 with your set up, there is still a intake leak and only masking a base problem with PC3 fuel adjustments. At a cold start up the ECM locks using programmed parameters and then is released to the ECM map plus sensors when engine temperature rises, big picture is the PC3 cannot make changes in cold mode.

Now it is another possibilty for the idle to raise when the engine is getting warm because of a lean condition caused by intake leak, low fuel pressure or the PC3 is negative numbers at idle, your base engine canned map loaded from the Powercommander website is all it needs, if you start changing fuel settings by the buttons then you better know what canned map is loaded in the PC3 because the PC3 maps rarely change the fuel at idle and adding fuel once again is heading towards a base problem, not EFI.

Follow the video for TPS setting and clean the small holes inside of the plenom, know the TPS is set right, air ports are clean and move from there if a problem still exists

Last edited by 1997bagger; 04-11-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:43 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

HD went to Delphi FI in 2002, I think. Up until then the Twin Cams were MM.

Alan

Old 04-17-2017, 09:03 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 859 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedspeed
I have a 99 RK..I always had a minor popping with the stock exhaust.I switched it up and thru on a set of Samnson True Duels,with straight pipes..Put on an A.N stage 1 Big Sucker..Followed by a Power Commander..We Adjusted The Power Commander 3 different Times..Just to find out I had a Exhaust leak in the rear Intake Manifold flange..After putting new Sensors for the F.I..We just cant get the Idle Correct..It starts up with a very low Idle.Kinda like a hot idle...then after riding it..it seems the idle creeps up just a little..kinda like a cold Idle..Would the Power commander be something I need to adjust??? just kinda at a lost right now
OK, so you had minor popping with stock exhaust but it is unknown when it would occur..shift gears..when throttle was closed..random.
Not knowing cause....you then decided to change to very free flowing pipes and a free flow air filter.
You then added a power commander but we really do not know what you added..PCII PCIII ???
What map on power commander???
Then you adjusted the power commander but we do not know if you used the buttons only or if you went the correct route of using a computer for maps...if you played with the buttons with no idea of map installed then you are really working with useless information and adding to problems.
Then you learned you had an exhaust leak or an intake manifold leak?? which one?
Then sensors were added but we have no idea what sensors were added?
Now it has idle issues.