EVO All Evo Model Discussion

what octane fuel to run ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:53 PM
beakerztoyz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what octane fuel to run ?

Hi guys I'm not new here but it's been a while. I have a 1995 springer softail it has the stock motor in it with an Andrews EV 46 cam, python pipes and K&N air filter.

My question for you guys is what octane fuel do you run in your basically stock motors like this ? here we have 87, 89 and 91 octane to choose from. I've always run the highest octane choice in my springer because I was led to believe that they had less (or no) ethanol in them and have heard that Evo's hate corn fuel.

I've always heard that running a fuel with more octane in a lower compression engine wasn't bad for it, it wouldn't gain you any power or anything but it wasn't bad for it, Some recent reading made me wonder if it is actually bad to run higher grade fuels in low compression motors or if it in fact will cause them to run worse. also would this change situationally ? would a motor like mine be hurt by higher octane out on the flat prairie but benefit from it up in the western mountains ?

So any advice on what to run ? thanks

Old 04-10-2017, 09:59 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I run premium because when I ran regular the motor would diesel when I shut it off.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 PM
quackattack
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beakerztoyz
Hi guys I'm not new here but it's been a while. I have a 1995 springer softail it has the stock motor in it with an Andrews EV 46 cam, python pipes and K&N air filter.

My question for you guys is what octane fuel do you run in your basically stock motors like this ? here we have 87, 89 and 91 octane to choose from. I've always run the highest octane choice in my springer because I was led to believe that they had less (or no) ethanol in them and have heard that Evo's hate corn fuel.

I've always heard that running a fuel with more octane in a lower compression engine wasn't bad for it, it wouldn't gain you any power or anything but it wasn't bad for it, Some recent reading made me wonder if it is actually bad to run higher grade fuels in low compression motors or if it in fact will cause them to run worse. also would this change situationally ? would a motor like mine be hurt by higher octane out on the flat prairie but benefit from it up in the western mountains ?

So any advice on what to run ? thanks
I too have been led to believe you have to run high octane fuel in a Harley. Actually I've been told in ALL motorcycles. However, in my Honda Rebel's manual, it states must have a minimal of 85 octane. In all 4 Harleys I have owned, I still run either 91 or 93 octane. I feel that the higher octane keeps pinging to a minimal. I have noticed higher octane burns a bit hotter in my motorcycles. Perhaps someone with better info might chime in.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:18 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I run the best I can get. I have ethanol around me so I'm usually replacing fuel hoses every 3 years. I've had to make sure the carb was built to handle it too. The good news is most rebuild kits are made to withstand ethanol, but that **** still will burn through some seals. Just rebuilt the 2 bbl on the car with a kit for ethanol.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:27 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by quackattack
In all 4 Harleys I have owned, I still run either 91 or 93 octane. Perhaps someone with better info might chime in.
My 93 owner's manual says it'll run on 87 octane, 10% ethanol max. IIRC the stock compression ratio is like 8-8.5.

That being said, I've always run either 91 or 93 octane. All the stations in MI are required to sell 10% ethanol mix. Only a few stations have 'pure gas'. I buy 5 gallons of it ($3.99 a gallon), and run that in my outboard and small engines.

Nothing against the farmers, but there are better uses for corn than making a political statement...

Old 04-10-2017, 11:36 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Compared to sugar cane which is almost as efficient as gas, corn based ethanol is awful. I remember motor trend saying the e85 cars would lose a few mpg because the higher ethanol content. What's ****ed up is the more corn used for ethanol, the higher the cost of corn based livestock feeds and other corn based goods.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

AMA has been fighting the EPA 15% proposal. Most motorcycle, outboard, small engine manufactures void warranties if 15% ethanol mix gasoline is used. Guberment looking out for us again...

Old 04-11-2017, 01:43 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,795 Likes on 6,698 Posts

High octane won't hurt it and in the summer can help you. Since the tank is only five to six gallons, price difference is minimal.

I am running high compression so I have to run 91 or higher, but even when I was stock, I always ran 91 or higher on all the bikes I ever had.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:26 AM
Evoken
Tourer
Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

I am under the impression that higher octane fuel is less volatile. What I mean to say is that it can compress more before detonation. High test is said to give a "slow burn" compared to lower octane. That is why you get slightly better fuel economy from it as well.
As far as ethanol is concerned, it sucks. My pickup will run e85 and it is a joke. Truck runs like crap and fuel economy is less than half of dino juice. Companies like Lucas make an ethanol treatment that I run in all of my 2 stroke engines and it does seem to help them run better. I've never tried this stuff in the Harleys but it may help if your concerned with ethanol.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:00 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Truth be known, is that EV-46 in that untouched stock engine, actually has less ccp than an OEM cam.
87 or 93 wouldn't make much difference in it's performance.
Put that compression at 10.0, to correctly support that cam, and then, 91-93 would be the ticket.
Scott

The following users liked this post:
Hackd (04-11-2017)

Quick Reply: what octane fuel to run ?