Hydraulic clutch kit for 1988 fxst

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017 | 12:55 AM
Adam76
|
Road Master
Default Hydraulic clutch kit for 1988 fxst

Hey guys,
Looking at the best way to get a real easy clutch pull on a [B]1988[B] Softail standard, and I thought there might be a hydraulic clutch kit out there...

I know of someone's mate who did one, but of course can't get any details. Also being a pre -1990 softail the clutch and trans set up is different and not a lot of options with these particular years?

Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-08-2017 | 03:20 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

The two most common things to do are to go with different levers or you can change the ramp.

Do you have arthritis or other medical issues?

Old 04-08-2017 | 08:42 AM
Adam76
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Prot
The two most common things to do are to go with different levers or you can change the ramp.

Do you have arthritis or other medical issues?
Yeah thanks, I knew about those two things but was looking for something even a little more effective in reducing lever effort... Yeah, busted left hand from an old injury.
Thanks

Old 04-08-2017 | 08:49 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Adam76
Yeah thanks, I knew about those two things but was looking for something even a little more effective in reducing lever effort... Yeah, busted left hand from an old injury.
Thanks
I bought an easy pull cable from barnett and a longer ramped clutch actuator (dont' know the real name) and it made a huge improvement on clutch operation for me.

Old 04-10-2017 | 10:46 AM
Evoken
Tourer

Just changed my factory cable from the 98 softail custom to a magnum braided cable. They have some type of silicone wrap on the cable itself, and boy did it make a difference. I've seen the clutch actuator thing that tex hill is talking about. It snaps in between your ramp and cable to change the angle and give more leverage.

Old 04-10-2017 | 04:07 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Don't put any faith in a hydraulic clutch, as from what I've read they don't provide a lighter clutch. The clutch itself has to have a given strength of spring to function, which will require similar effort at the lever, whether with a cable or hydraulic fluid.

Like Evoken I changed my original '90 clutch cable, in my case for a H-D Diamondback, with similar remarkable results. In fact it was so good I removed the easy-pull actuator (which Texas referred to, mine was a Mueller). The reason is simply that on our earlier clutches the lift is marginal, even for the stock clutch, and a darned nuisance when in traffic. Those easy-pull devices reduce lift at the clutch pressure plate, while reducing effort at the lever.

There are various devices to look into. One is the AIM variable clutch device, which uses bob-weights. As engine/vehicle speed increases the bob-weights apply increasing pressure on the clutch plates. It uses a lighter spring, which reduces lever effort. There are others, which may come to mind in time.

Last edited by grbrown; 04-10-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Expanded.
Old 04-10-2017 | 07:12 PM
Adam76
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Evoken
Just changed my factory cable from the 98 softail custom to a magnum braided cable. They have some type of silicone wrap on the cable itself, and boy did it make a difference. I've seen the clutch actuator thing that tex hill is talking about. It snaps in between your ramp and cable to change the angle and give more leverage.
Thanks man. Who makes the Magnum braided cables?
Cheers

Old 04-10-2017 | 07:15 PM
Adam76
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by grbrown
Don't put any faith in a hydraulic clutch, as from what I've read they don't provide a lighter clutch. The clutch itself has to have a given strength of spring to function, which will require similar effort at the lever, whether with a cable or hydraulic fluid.

Like Evoken I changed my original '90 clutch cable, in my case for a H-D Diamondback, with similar remarkable results. In fact it was so good I removed the easy-pull actuator (which Texas referred to, mine was a Mueller). The reason is simply that on our earlier clutches the lift is marginal, even for the stock clutch, and a darned nuisance when in traffic. Those easy-pull devices reduce lift at the clutch pressure plate, while reducing effort at the lever.

There are various devices to look into. One is the AIM variable clutch device, which uses bob-weights. As engine/vehicle speed increases the bob-weights apply increasing pressure on the clutch plates. It uses a lighter spring, which reduces lever effort. There are others, which may come to mind in time.
Thanks, it's a real shame they don't make VP clutch to fit pre-1990 softail..... a good cable seems like a good way to go though.
Cheers

Old 04-10-2017 | 07:17 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Thanks
Hydraulic clutch won't reduce the lever pull pressure, if anything you'll notice more. Least expensive route is add an Easy pull setup to the end of the cable inside the cover the cable goes into. Try that before you get busy spending the big bucks.

Another option is an Auto clutch, spendy but about the same as the hyd. setup.

Old 04-10-2017 | 07:59 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Thanks man. Who makes the Magnum braided cables?
Cheers
That would be Magnum.
https://www.magnumshielding.com/clutch-cables

Quick Reply: Hydraulic clutch kit for 1988 fxst