EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Fuel line leak!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Rkahl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel line leak!

I have a 1996 tour glide that has a fuel line leak. Everything I have read says to replace the lines with lines from Goodridge. Does anyone know if these lines come with the check valve built in? I have been told that the check valves are obsolete and are not available. When I put these new lines on, can I remove the check valves that are screwed into the tank?

Old 03-31-2017, 07:39 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkahl
I have a 1996 tour glide that has a fuel line leak. Everything I have read says to replace the lines with lines from Goodridge. Does anyone know if these lines come with the check valve built in? I have been told that the check valves are obsolete and are not available. When I put these new lines on, can I remove the check valves that are screwed into the tank?
I take it you have a fuel injected bike correct?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:13 PM
Rkahl
1st Gear

That is correct

Old 03-31-2017, 08:40 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,796 Likes on 6,699 Posts
Old 03-31-2017, 09:34 PM
Rkahl
1st Gear

Thank you, very helpful website!

Old 04-01-2017, 08:43 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,788 Likes on 891 Posts

Check valves are part of sealing the tank fittings, you will know if the are not in there, she will be a leaker

Last edited by 1997bagger; 04-01-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:44 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

I know that Harley started offering Fuel Injection on touring bikes in 1995, but I did not know that they offered it on the Tour Glide since they would be discontinuing the model. Interesting.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:02 PM
Todd Kleinhans
Stage III

Originally Posted by Rkahl
I know this is old, but I'm having the same problem with 97 Electra glide w/efi. Took tank off to change intake gaskets (those still leak too) and now both in and out fuel line is leak. Replaced the tiny o-rings, the out check valve. It just gets worse. Back to this thread's original question: do the good ridge lines have check valves built in?

Old 10-18-2020, 08:14 AM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 568 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Kleinhans
I know this is old, but I'm having the same problem with 97 Electra glide w/efi. Took tank off to change intake gaskets (those still leak too) and now both in and out fuel line is leak. Replaced the tiny o-rings, the out check valve. It just gets worse. Back to this thread's original question: do the good ridge lines have check valves built in?

No, the check valves screws into the tank with their O rings to the smaller top threaded channels, then you have the hose fitting that screws up against the bottom of them them using the larger threaded channel on the bottom of the tank.
As for trick if you are getting the hose fitting leaking since the upper check valve O rings are not sealing, use teflon tape on the hose fitting as your threading it into the tank. Hence had this problem as I was trying to find a tool to pull the check valves to replace their O rings, then finally just ground down the back end of a tea spoon handle to make a wide enough tool to pull the check valves to replace their O rings (crescent wrench on the flat of the tea spoon to give me the needed torque).

The down side, until you do get the check valves to seal, fuel pump is going to make a little more noise since the fuel is making it way back past the check valves.

Check valves that install in the tank upper threaded channels of the bungs first for supply and return ( match the flow of the fuel, so two different ones), before the hose fitting is threaded in below them in the bungs larger threads, and what the top of the hose connector seals off against.

Last edited by Dano523; 10-18-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:16 AM
Todd Kleinhans
Stage III

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. I've had both check valves out and back in. The out- valve is new. No in-valves I could find anywhere. I think the valves are the problem. Although I've been messing with it so much I think the swivel under the nut is leaking now too. Goodridge lines are in my future. If there's no limit to the pookie I can put on those and the fuel line threads, I'll try teflon tape and whatever else to get a good seal. I like the spoon tool idea. I ground down an old can opener and used that. . . . Now I need to find the thread about why my intake gaskets are still letting air in after three tries. . . .

Quick Reply: Fuel line leak!