EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1989 Sportster Control Switch Swap to late

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:18 PM
WhereduGo?
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1989 Sportster Control Switch Swap to late

Is it possible to swap out the control switch housings and switches on an 1989 Sportster to that of a 1996- later control switch housings ? They both seem to be a 6 wire setup on both sides. We want to swap to the late style housings and switches on a 1989 sporty.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:30 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Sure it is.
Just keep track of what wire goes where as the color code will have changed.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:20 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Yes, as mentioned, you should have a wiring diagram for both years so you can match up the color differences. Labelling the wires makes life easier also.

Not sure if you plan on cut and splice or removing the pins from the mollex connector in the headlight (is better to remove the pins).

If you remove the pins, get a pin removal tool. Makes life easier, and radio shack has one. There are little tabs on the pins that slipping the pin tool over the pin compresses the tab, and the center button on the tool pushes the pin out of the connector. Also draw a pinout diagram of the male and female connectors so you put the correct wires back in the correct location.

On some of the pins in the connector are little metal strips that act as a jumper to connect two pins together. They are hard to see, but if you look inside the connector after disconnecting the halves you will see the metal strip jumper.

When putting the new wires/pins back into the connector the holes in the metal strips are now stretched or larger. It is best to try and reform the holes of the metal strips with a small screwdriver after you remove the old pin but before you push the new pin in place. The holes in the strip are punched holes, so the metal can be pushed back to make the hole grab the pin again after replacement. Sorry, hard to describe but you will know what I am talking about when you get into it.

If the new housing wires are cut, and you still want to use pins, let me know. I have the cross reference numbers for the replacement pins to get them from Mouser electronics for cheap...You can also make new jumper strips if the old ones get fubar'd during removal by using the little metal strip that the replacement pins come attached to. The replacement pins are mounted on a metal strip and you pull them off as you need them. That strip is perfect to use as a replacement. Or any thin copper, brass or tin (from a hobby shop) can be cut as replacements as well.

Don't forget silicone grease for the connector and for feeding any wires. YD

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 03-22-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Good advice from YD

BUT

Those molex connectors in the headlight bucket are a major, major PITA. The newer connectors are still not fun, but nothing like those. You can do it, but better be sure it is worth the effort to you. Understand the word patience.

I would also wonder can you just change the two piece switch assembly or do you have to change out everything. If everything how does compatibility work with your master cylinder, throttle assembly and clutch cable. Are they all compatible or you are really headed up a long hill for an appearance upgrade. That said, good luck.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:45 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Good advice from YD

BUT

Those molex connectors in the headlight bucket are a major, major PITA. The newer connectors are still not fun, but nothing like those. You can do it, but better be sure it is worth the effort to you. Understand the word patience.

I would also wonder can you just change the two piece switch assembly or do you have to change out everything. If everything how does compatibility work with your master cylinder, throttle assembly and clutch cable. Are they all compatible or you are really headed up a long hill for an appearance upgrade. That said, good luck.
Yes, I have wondered if the new switch housing will mate up to the old master cylinder and clutch perch...I don't know the answer but would like to know if someone has done it before and how it mates up (if at all).

The molex connector is not too hard if you take your time and make a sketch and or diagram along with using labels...before and during the take apart portion, better safe than sorry. It is time consuming so plan ahead so you can take your time. YD

Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 AM
WhereduGo?
Cruiser

Thanks guys for the info ! I am going to cut and solder everything then shrink tube it all. I just did all the de-pinning on my 16 road glide and it sure is a PITA, however this bike is kind of a rat bobber builder so cut and splice should do the trick just fime. I will locate a harley service wire diagram for both years and match it up properly.
I will be changing everything over to late style, Housings, switches, Master cylinder, clutch perch/lever. The only thing Im still unsure about is the throttle cables, If I update everything to late controls including the throttle assembly will the push/pull cables work the same ? I am thinking they should or would I have to swap the cable to an old style cable in the new throttle assembly.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:09 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by WhereduGo?
Thanks guys for the info ! I am going to cut and solder everything then shrink tube it all. I just did all the de-pinning on my 16 road glide and it sure is a PITA, however this bike is kind of a rat bobber builder so cut and splice should do the trick just fime. I will locate a harley service wire diagram for both years and match it up properly.
I will be changing everything over to late style, Housings, switches, Master cylinder, clutch perch/lever. The only thing Im still unsure about is the throttle cables, If I update everything to late controls including the throttle assembly will the push/pull cables work the same ? I am thinking they should or would I have to swap the cable to an old style cable in the new throttle assembly.
If sporties are like softails then you will need new cables.
The ends are different where they go into the handlebar housing.

The following users liked this post:
WhereduGo? (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:32 AM
WhereduGo?
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If sporties are like softails then you will need new cables.
The ends are different where they go into the handlebar housing.

Ok I was going to buy the late cables to go with the late throttle housing/ assembly, I was more wondering if the carb ends were the same so I can just switch over to a late style cable. Im going to call motion pro and see if they can tell me if the carb side is the same new vs old.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 2,014 Posts

I can't help but wonder WHY you're doing this. It seems like a lot of trouble for very little gain.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 AM
WhereduGo?
Cruiser

Well, when all the control switches are needing replacement on a bike, why not upgrade to newer better stuff. Also my friend wants upgraded controls, it shouldnt really be that big of a deal swapping to late sportster style controls. Especially since everything needs to be replaced anyway.