EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1985 FXRS front turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:37 AM
CheefASRC
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig

Looking at the 1985 FXRS owner's manual bulb chart ... 4 of the same bulbs were used for the turn signals. No running light listed

sweet, thanks!

Old 03-10-2017, 07:38 AM
CheefASRC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RedHogz
Ehhh....Tach?...who needs a stinkin' tach.. *lol.
I hope this schematic helps.
Clicky:
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....5526&groupId=9

"file corrupted?"

thanks anywho

Old 03-10-2017, 10:19 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 531 Likes on 458 Posts

Try here & enter your VIN. You should be able to view the owner's manual.
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm

If you use the above link, BEFORE entering a VIN, click on the "Search" (top right of screen) and type "1986 wiring". You should see "Wiring Diagrams - 1986-1990 All Models" in the results box. Click on that and you can view wiring diagrams for 1986 FXR models. You can even zoom in & out on the diagrams ... help for the old eyes (don't ask how I know). I know you have a 1985, not a 1986, but they don't seem to offer the wiring diagrams for 1985 for some unknown reason.
The files seem to take a while to load .... several minutes at times. Also when you zoom in on a page it can become blurry. I found that if I wait a minute or so, the page will suddenly adjust and become very clear ... very helpful when looking at the wiring & trying to make out the wiring color markers.

The following users liked this post:
CheefASRC (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by CheefASRC
"file corrupted?"

thanks anywho
OK we have established that you have the correct number of wires.
Is the left signal still blinking slow or did that get fixed when I wasn't looking???

Old 03-10-2017, 12:11 PM
CheefASRC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
OK we have established that you have the correct number of wires.
Is the left signal still blinking slow or did that get fixed when I wasn't looking???

I am sure it does, I will be replacing the headlight bucket in the morning and checking the wires/flasher for damage, corrosion etc.

I am sure its still flashing slow. Thank for asking though!

Old 03-10-2017, 12:39 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

the stock 85 HD flasher is rectangular in shape. when mine went south i replaced it with an ordinary 552 auto flasher and it works great.

The following users liked this post:
CheefASRC (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 01:37 PM
CheefASRC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
Try here & enter your VIN. You should be able to view the owner's manual.
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm

If you use the above link, BEFORE entering a VIN, click on the "Search" (top right of screen) and type "1986 wiring". You should see "Wiring Diagrams - 1986-1990 All Models" in the results box. Click on that and you can view wiring diagrams for 1986 FXR models. You can even zoom in & out on the diagrams ... help for the old eyes (don't ask how I know). I know you have a 1985, not a 1986, but they don't seem to offer the wiring diagrams for 1985 for some unknown reason.
The files seem to take a while to load .... several minutes at times. Also when you zoom in on a page it can become blurry. I found that if I wait a minute or so, the page will suddenly adjust and become very clear ... very helpful when looking at the wiring & trying to make out the wiring color markers.

I tried that but, it is looking for a "SIP" login and password?

Old 03-10-2017, 01:37 PM
CheefASRC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bagga
the stock 85 HD flasher is rectangular in shape. when mine went south i replaced it with an ordinary 552 auto flasher and it works great.

Good to know! I will keep that in mind if it is determined the flasher has gone south..Thanks

Old 03-11-2017, 06:47 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,060 Likes on 1,188 Posts

A hot wire (orange) runs from the ignition to the blinker, the other wire from the blinker runs to the two handle bar switches, the split in the headlight bucked by jumper wire between two terminals in a connector.

As you have surmised this orange wire is the power for the front end of the bike including the tach, tach/speedo light, and instrument lights. (oil pressure, neutral)

The switches on the handle bar are ground switches, they ground the light bulbs in the blinkers to make them work, and if one works there is nothing wrong with the module.

The hot wires from the headlight to the lights are brown and purple I think purple is right. And the ground is under the module bracket that holds it in place.

Check and make sure that the handlebar is grounded and the light bucket is grounded, don't depend on the bolts for this task, even though then may work as such there is a grounding strap for the front end.

PS: color of wires may vary?

Old 03-13-2017, 06:02 AM
CheefASRC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Kabear
A hot wire (orange) runs from the ignition to the blinker, the other wire from the blinker runs to the two handle bar switches, the split in the headlight bucked by jumper wire between two terminals in a connector.

As you have surmised this orange wire is the power for the front end of the bike including the tach, tach/speedo light, and instrument lights. (oil pressure, neutral)

The switches on the handle bar are ground switches, they ground the light bulbs in the blinkers to make them work, and if one works there is nothing wrong with the module.

The hot wires from the headlight to the lights are brown and purple I think purple is right. And the ground is under the module bracket that holds it in place.

Check and make sure that the handlebar is grounded and the light bucket is grounded, don't depend on the bolts for this task, even though then may work as such there is a grounding strap for the front end.

PS: color of wires may vary?

OK so, I got the signals mounted and working fine now, but the damn tach is not working..me thinks there is yet another bad ground somewhere. Does the headlight bucket ground somewhere to the frame/fork or is it strictly bolt grounded from the housing?

Thx

Last edited by CheefASRC; 03-13-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Quick Reply: 1985 FXRS front turn signals