EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Bike Eating Speedometer Drive Units

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:18 AM
kukulkajason
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the quick replies and suggestions!

We have used the correct replacement drive units for H-D OEM part number 67101-96 (Drag part number 2210-0202 and Custom Chrome part number 26699)

I have just ordered another drive unit this time V-Twin part number 36-2453

We used the H-D OEM replacement part number 67054-98 for the cable

The techs believe the drive units are at fault as everything else in the system is new, routed correct and or functions properly

As far as we can tell from measurements and comparisons the wheel and spacers etc. are original and correct

The techs hooked the speedometer up to a drill and it works properly

The techs torqued the axle nut with less torque

I will read through all of your replies again with the techs later today to see if they missed anything and or to try some of your suggestions, thanks again!

Old 03-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

I went through a couple of drives on my '98 FLTRI, then found a service bulletin that called for a longer cable. No more problemo.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,322 Likes on 5,873 Posts

Originally Posted by larsfum
You've got something else going on there. It's not the drive unit causing the problems.

Originally Posted by kukulkajason
The techs believe the drive units are at fault as everything else in the system is new, routed correct and or functions properly

The techs hooked the speedometer up to a drill and it works properly

I have used lots of aftermarket speedo drives without any problems.

Looks like the problem is your "techs".

Hooking the cable to a drill proves nothing...if you can't turn it easily with your fingers...it is in a bind and the drive will be short lived.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:51 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,877 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
I went through a couple of drives on my '98 FLTRI, then found a service bulletin that called for a longer cable. No more problemo.
I didn't hear about a bulletin on mine. (may not apply to my 97 EG) Good info.

After 2 cables (1 HD 1 Aftermarket) and 2 drive units and some conversation with my Indy we ordered another cable from a different supplier. Got a hold of a drive from a friend. This was getting kind of costly.

The last cable was an 1 1/2 longer than the previous 2, for what ever the reason. And for what ever the reason I have 4K plus on the bike since.

Indy took care of me and all is well

WP

Old 03-02-2017, 05:29 PM
mr.precision
Tourer
Received 173 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Correction

Originally Posted by mr.precision
Just replaced the speedo drive unit and cable on my 1984 FLHTC. It's tricky to put in with all the chrome covers this scoot has (disc brake covers, caliper covers). Here's what I learned in doing this.
1. snug the axle nut and spin the wheel to ensure the tab from the drive is engaged in the slot. Sounds easy, but if not centered the drive is ruined the 1st time you ride.
2. proper axle nut torque - 55 ft-lbs is important. Don't over tighten.
3. Greasing your new cable is fine....but don't use heavy grease. I did and the thing howled like a pig stuck under a fence. After cleaning and using lithium grease, it is now quiet.
4. Since the cable housing has to screw into the speedo drive unit, mount the other end on the speedo, leave it slightly loose, route the cable and install the other end, then tighten the speedo end and install the instrument panel. Don't screw the cable housing into the drive unit too tight.
Went out for a 100 mile ride today. The noise returned shortly after leaving, so back to the house.
Turns out the problem was the speedometer. It's easy to take it out of the instrument cluster.... just two screws. Hooked up an old speedo cable to a power drill. The thing would howl. A few drops of oil fixed that. I put a little grease on the worm gears, tested it some more and no noise. Put the speedometer back in the cluster, hooked the cable up and snugged everything up.... then did the 100 mile ride. No noise whatsoever.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

What happened to the OP?

Old 03-03-2017, 06:45 PM
kukulkajason
6th Gear

Ordered another drive unit from V-Twin and currently awaiting for it to arrive and a chance to get my bike back to the shop and on the lift.

In the meantime we have been in talks with a a local indy shop that is having the exact same issue with one of their employees 97 FLH. They have been through 3 Drag units as verified by our Drag rep yesterday. They also opt for the Dakota Digital full setup with a rear wheel sensor

Old 03-04-2017, 08:27 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,877 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Just outta curiosity do you have the cable routed in front of the lower tree or behind it?

Have seen ones behind the lower tree and it caused problems.

WP

Old 03-05-2017, 10:38 AM
kukulkajason
6th Gear

I honestly do not remember how the cable was routed before i took it home on the last unit that worked to the end of the parking lot

Yesterday i ordered a salvaged drive unit from eBay for insurance

Once the bikes back to the shop and on a lift i will have more updates

Old 03-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Quick Reply: Bike Eating Speedometer Drive Units