Primary noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:16 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Khshockey44
Actually have the race puller/installer tool. I already prepared for the inner primary bearing and got the baker one that doesn't use the bearing race. I'm just not looking forward to spendin the money on the transmission bearings and stuff if that's what it is.
Like I said previously my tranny main bearing only made noise under power in 4th gear so I don't think that's your problem.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:50 AM
98FLHP
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Like I said previously my tranny main bearing only made noise under power in 4th gear so I don't think that's your problem.
Just bought a 96 RK that sounds like a supercharger spooling up under power in 4th. Somebodys garage toy with 15K miles.

No other noises, runs/rides great. Going it apart. Hopefully no slop in the transmission shaft. Anything else I should look for that might point to a bad trans bearing?

Last edited by 98FLHP; 03-13-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:36 AM
RedHogz
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You shouldn't have a worn shifter arm with only 15k on the clock. You sure someone didn't change the speedo head? THC is probably right about it not being the trans bearing, but....if you didn't change it and got her all back together and still had that whine, you'd prolly be tossing wrenches all over the garage.

Last edited by RedHogz; 03-12-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,911 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Yeah, I was gonna say that a worn shifter arm is more like 115K than 15K.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:53 AM
Khshockey44
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so I pulled it all apart. Looked at the bearing on the inner primary, didn't see anything but it sounded kinda gritty. so I pulled the race, and the bearing and replaced it with the Baker one. Pulled the pulley off and checked out the transmission main bearing and it all seemed good. put it all back together, fire it up and take her for a ride, and the noise was still there. start looking around, and just so happen to feel the final drive belt and its seems way loose. tighten it up some and now the noise is gone. ride it around a bit, and now the belt feels like it has gotten even tighter. I also noticed another noise. I was pulling up to park the other day and killed the motor and while rolling there sounded like a knock noise ever so often could this be from a belt being too tight? also does it make a difference if you adjust the belt when the bike is warm vs when its cold?

Old 03-26-2017, 07:37 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

so I pulled it all apart. Looked at the bearing on the inner primary, didn't see anything but it sounded kinda gritty. so I pulled the race, and the bearing and replaced it with the Baker one. Pulled the pulley off and checked out the transmission main bearing and it all seemed good. put it all back together, fire it up and take her for a ride, and the noise was still there. start looking around, and just so happen to feel the final drive belt and its seems way loose. tighten it up some and now the noise is gone. ride it around a bit, and now the belt feels like it has gotten even tighter. I also noticed another noise. I was pulling up to park the other day and killed the motor and while rolling there sounded like a knock noise ever so often could this be from a belt being too tight? also does it make a difference if you adjust the belt when the bike is warm vs when its cold?
Sounds like an alignment issue with belt,jack the rear and turn forward to see how it rides on the pullies,teeth make click sounds when cocked. Worth checking.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:41 AM
RedHogz
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The knock noise might be a weak compensating sprocket hammering around.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:48 PM
blumi
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

so I pulled it all apart. Looked at the bearing on the inner primary, didn't see anything but it sounded kinda gritty. so I pulled the race, and the bearing and replaced it with the Baker one.
Hello,
was it easy to remove the Bearing from the inner Primary?
Have you use a hydraulic press?

Cause i have tha same problem:
I have a noise coming from my primary. While I'm riding I don't hear anything but when I let off the throttle I'm hearing a whistle sound. As soon as I pull in the clutch, the whistle noise goes away.

My FLHTC has 125.000 km (77650mls)

I wanna change the Beariing and Seals and use the parts from J&P
wich one is the better choice?
All ***** Inner Primary Bearing and Seal Kit

or

JIMS Primary Bearing Upgrade ?

Make it sense to change the Chain Tensioner to the

J&P Cycles® Automatic Chain Tensioner ?

Old 04-05-2017, 02:44 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by blumi
Hello,
was it easy to remove the Bearing from the inner Primary?
Have you use a hydraulic press?

Cause i have tha same problem:
I have a noise coming from my primary. While I'm riding I don't hear anything but when I let off the throttle I'm hearing a whistle sound. As soon as I pull in the clutch, the whistle noise goes away.

My FLHTC has 125.000 km (77650mls)

I wanna change the Beariing and Seals and use the parts from J&P
wich one is the better choice?
All ***** Inner Primary Bearing and Seal Kit

or

JIMS Primary Bearing Upgrade ?

Make it sense to change the Chain Tensioner to the

J&P Cycles® Automatic Chain Tensioner ?
If you go all ***** this is the one to get. It's the same as the jims it's an upgraded double row sealed bearing. I used this one. You could probably buy a seal and double row sealed bearing separately and do it for even less but the kit isn't that bad.

http://www.allballsracing.com/harley...t/25-3102.html

The following users liked this post:
blumi (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 03:13 PM
blumi
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the information.
How long have you need for change it?
I think on a chilly saturday it should been made.
Do i need spechal tools?
My toolequpment isn't that bad, but i dont't own a hydraulic press, but different metalpices for drive in and out (brass, aluminium, steel ...)

Quick Reply: Primary noise