EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Strange turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017 | 08:21 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

When this happens do you lose the rears too? I know it's hard to see but it matters. If the fronts completely stop working and the rears stay lit (rears are turn only and won't blink if TSM doesn't see the added load from the front) it's the ground to the forks. My 94 only uses chassis for ground. Shitty set-up that's why newer bikes now use a wire for ground for lighting.

Old 02-16-2017 | 04:08 PM
texashillcountry
|
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Update...

It finally warmed up enough for me to start messing with it again.
The turn signals don't work in the run and lights position and do work in the accessory position.
Horn works fine when the turn signals aren't working.
Rears act the same as the front.
Every ground I can find tests at less than 0.5 Ohms.

Not sure what to check next!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2017 | 04:11 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Surely what you just said means the ignition switch is bad?

Old 02-16-2017 | 04:13 PM
texashillcountry
|
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Surely what you just said means the ignition switch is bad?
I just put a new one on today thinking that might be the problem.

Old 02-16-2017 | 04:31 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I just put a new one on today thinking that might be the problem.
I been looking at you wiring and newer service manual wiring. Appears ignition switch does no grounding. Just power. Surely, since it will work one way and not the other, it hast to be power, not ground. If it's not the switch, it has to be the power maybe at the fuse connection. It's far enough off so the signal electronics will not fire. Know when I put a LED in just the back when I put a LED in my stoplight to take power off the brake light switch, that TSM box causes the signals to do strange things thinking a bulb is burnt out. If your voltage is low, it going to cause it to think there is more load on it. I am thinking, opposite what it should be looking for but it also could be checking for shorts to ground which may what it thinks is happening to protect itself and let you know it has a problem.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-16-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2017 | 04:45 PM
texashillcountry
|
Dirt don't hurt

I been looking at you wiring and newer service manual wiring. Appears ignition switch does no grounding. Just power. Surely, since it will work one way and not the other, it hast to be power, not ground. If it's not the switch, it has to be the power maybe at the fuse connection. It's far enough off so the signal electronics will not fire. Know when I put a LED in just the back when I put a LED in my stoplight to take power off the brake light switch, that TSM box causes the signals to do strange things thinking a bulb is burnt out. If your voltage is low, it going to cause it to think there is more load on it. I am thinking, opposite what it should be looking for but it also could be checking for shorts to ground which may what it thinks is happening to protect itself and let you know it has a problem.
Everywhere I check voltage (except battery) I'm getting about 11.8 volts.
Not a big drop but a drop.
I'm thinking it could be caused by corrosion in the wires themselves.
I'm thinking real hard about putting a new harness on it.
The bike already had the dreaded click which was an indicator of poor connections in the harness on my other bike.

Old 02-16-2017 | 05:26 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

Just 2 quick questions.
Does the Brake light work, with the front brake lever, in both the Accessory position & the Run/Ignition Position?
Do the 4 way flashers work in the Off - Acc - Run/Ign positions.
IIRC you can turn on the 4 way flashers with the Ignition switch in the Run/Ign position and then turn the switch to Off and the flashers will continue to work. Then to turn the flashers off again, you have to turn the Ign switch to Run/Ign and then press both turn signal switches.
Just asking questions, trying to come up with a reason.

Edit: The 4 way flashers might not work with the Ign switch in the Off position. I might have it confused with newer models.

Last edited by 14GuineaPig; 02-16-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2017 | 05:49 PM
texashillcountry
|
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
Just 2 quick questions.
Does the Brake light work, with the front brake lever, in both the Accessory position & the Run/Ignition Position?
Do the 4 way flashers work in the Off - Acc - Run/Ign positions.
IIRC you can turn on the 4 way flashers with the Ignition switch in the Run/Ign position and then turn the switch to Off and the flashers will continue to work. Then to turn the flashers off again, you have to turn the Ign switch to Run/Ign and then press both turn signal switches.
Just asking questions, trying to come up with a reason.

Edit: The 4 way flashers might not work with the Ign switch in the Off position. I might have it confused with newer models.
Nothing works in the OFF position.
4 ways work in accessory or ignition or lights positions.
Brake lights only work in ignition or lights positions.

I'm gonna change the other 2 thermal breakers just to see what happens if anything. Hell I've changed everything except the harness so why not right???

Old 02-16-2017 | 05:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

It's probably corrosion that has gotten between the wires and the crimp fittings. You surely need it clean coming off that ignition wire thru the fuse box and then to you signal box. I have see stran wires on bikes, boats and cars so bad, you can't even solider it after stripping with out flattening it and striking it repeatably with a blade.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-16-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2017 | 06:35 PM
texashillcountry
|
Dirt don't hurt

It's probably corrosion that has gotten between the wires and the crimp fittings. You surely need it clean coming off that ignition wire thru the fuse box and then to you signal box. I have see stran wires on bikes, boats and cars so bad, you can't even solider it after stripping with out flattening it and striking it repeatably with a blade.
My bike doesn't have a fuse box.
It's got thermal breakers instead of fuses.

I just ordered a new harness.
They're cheap enough for my bikes.

Quick Reply: Strange turn signal problem