EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Misfiring 1992 FXDC

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 11:46 AM
monchidog
HDF Community Team
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

guys, so i took the whole bracket off to get the VOES on to the bench and did and OHMs test and sucked on it....it didnt do what its supposed to so i guess its broken but now I'm wondering if I'm sucking hard enough. I think Im going to order one anyway.

On the point of getting it off the bracket, here's a photo so you can see the "lock washer" that I dont know how to remove...unless just break it? and a photo of where its connected on the engine bracket.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:35 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Try putting some WD-40 around it then us a flat bladed screw driver and pry behind it and just walk it off. Like pry on one side then go 180 and pry on that side.

I have a cheap vacuum test kit from Harbor freight that I use to create vacuum, but I know you don't have such a thing over there.

Here are some on Ebay

The following users liked this post:
monchidog (10-29-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 08:33 AM
monchidog
HDF Community Team

Hi Guys, everything here takes a long time but I thought you'd be interested in an update. I gave up after testing without the VOES and it making no difference so I sent it a reputable custom garage, I just need it working. When they started it they almost immediately figured it was a stuck valve seat so they did some compression tests and found it to be a problem in the rear cylinder.
On opening it up they found this......the previous garage/owner I bought it from had put either the wrong piston rings or have been put on wrongly or wrongly gapped, either way they have totally scratched up my cylinders so there is a compression problem - even i can see this would be a problem. Damn and Blast!
So I've asked them to give me a quote on fixing this by replacing the 2 cylinders and rings, I think they can still use the original pistons. Funnily enough I thought the top of the pistons would be in a worse condition, they look quite clean.
They are looking at honing the cylinders or replacing...any comments from you guys on preference or cheapness - sadly i cant afford to go for the increase cylinder size which would make sense now...Christmas is coming etc.
Well, thats where we are, I'll keep you posted if there's interest.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:25 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately this is one of those things about buying a used older bike. You just never know what has been done. Mine had about 500 miles since the top end had been rebuilt and although I have never dealt with the shop that did the work a few of my buddies have and said the guy is top notch. Haven't had any issues other then electrical with it.

Neither the cylinder or piston look good. I think you're are going to have to either bore the cylinder or get a new jug. But when I was over there it amazed me at what some of those shops could do fix something and get you back on the road is short order. But I was also riding a Bultaco back then. Maybe christmas will come early and you can do the whole top end. Good Luck!

Old 04-07-2017, 08:43 AM
monchidog
HDF Community Team

Ok so some months on from the last update (took 4 months to re bore my cylinders!). Everything is now back together and working well. They found the root cause of the problem which was a lack of oil circulating. They found that when they put it all back together there was still no oil going round so on taking the oil pump apart they found that the "simple" Woodruff Key at the end of the oil pump axle had been put in wrongly and was now missing and parts of it seemed to be in the passages. So a simple cheap mistake from the previous owner cost me an additional €2,000 of trouble.

Oh well, 6 months on and now I hope to start enjoying her and sorting out all the other aesthetic bits! No doubt I'll be back with questions soon. Thanks guys.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:36 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by monchidog
Ok so some months on from the last update (took 4 months to re bore my cylinders!). Everything is now back together and working well. They found the root cause of the problem which was a lack of oil circulating. They found that when they put it all back together there was still no oil going round so on taking the oil pump apart they found that the "simple" Woodruff Key at the end of the oil pump axle had been put in wrongly and was now missing and parts of it seemed to be in the passages. So a simple cheap mistake from the previous owner cost me an additional €2,000 of trouble.

Oh well, 6 months on and now I hope to start enjoying her and sorting out all the other aesthetic bits! No doubt I'll be back with questions soon. Thanks guys.
Glad you got it figured out.
Ride safe.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Thanks for coming back with the resolution.
Some don't bother.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:43 PM
apples402
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Glad you sorted it out. Thanks for the update,

Old 04-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 255 Likes on 177 Posts

Glad it's back together.