EVO All Evo Model Discussion

adding an audio system too much draw?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:36 AM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts
Default adding an audio system too much draw?

I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket Batwing this winter an adding a stereo an amp to replace my Memphis shades bullet fairing. I figure the radio without an amp wouldn't be loud enough to hear on the highway so an amp will be needed....my concern is overloading the electric system. If I go this route I will prob replace the H4 halogen with a plug in LED bulb that draws about half of what the halogen does. I know some touring bikes had radios but I don't know if they had an amp or if they came with a larger charging system. any input?

Old 08-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Larger charging system. There is a 32-amp upgrade that many people like. When you replace everything just remember two drops of red loctite.
When you get there you'll know what I'm blabbering about.
Tom

Old 08-21-2016, 09:38 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a 97 ultra with stock charging system 32amp?
I run a 300watt amp and push the stereo when I ride . I have never had a issue

Old 08-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,829 Likes on 6,707 Posts

Replace all of your lighting with LED's. I used custom dynamics for everything except the headlight and passing lamp. I went with truck lite for those three. It freed up some power and I can see and be seen better.

I also went with Sumax heavy duty battery cables. The stock ones are tiny in comparison.

I replaced my battery with a 720 cranking amp lithium ion battery. Stock is 300 cranking amp AGM battery.

My goals were different than yours but just mentioning these as improvements to the electrical system.

It seems like I remember some years or models having a higher output charging system than others but I can't remember the specifics about that.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:42 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I've been running an amp(lifier) since about 1990 on the stock 23 amp(ere) charging system. I currently have an Alpine 445u amp. I think I am speaker limited with the 4" speakers.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:51 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Would be worth asking this in the Audio section as well. But in my case with my '91 EG with stock 32 amp charging system, I have changed out the entire system with biketronics module, Alpine stereo, Cerwin Vega 600w amp and also added the 6.5" rear speaker pods (Infinity Kappa) in conjunction with the 4" fairing BT Titan speaks. No indicated issues whatsoever, my volt gauge shows no more draw now than it did before. Heads up now tho to run your Ground from amp all the way back to the battery and not on the trip tree somewhere. And make sure you absolutely have a good ground to frame at battery. I actually added an extra ground to mine, and also have a set of new Sumax battery cables to install just because. Just haven't gotten to it yet. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2016, 02:58 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I might suggest you try the stereo without an amp first, to see if you truly need an amplifier. I have an aftermarket Sony stereo in my '86 FXRD without an amp. I'm limited to 4" speakers in the FXRD fairing, so adding an amp seemed a waste of money. The stock head unit does pretty well on it's own. Given, that bike has a pretty quiet air pocket behind the faring, but I can her the stereo just fine at highway speeds. If you do decide to add an amp, I agree with the advice above on changing all your lights to LED equivalent. With a headlamp and 4 turn signals, you're probably saving between 6-9 amps going LED.
Good luck with your set-up

Old 08-22-2016, 03:07 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by omgtkk
I might suggest you try the stereo without an amp first, to see if you truly need an amplifier. I have an aftermarket Sony stereo in my '86 FXRD without an amp. I'm limited to 4" speakers in the FXRD fairing, so adding an amp seemed a waste of money. The stock head unit does pretty well on it's own. Given, that bike has a pretty quiet air pocket behind the faring, but I can her the stereo just fine at highway speeds. If you do decide to add an amp, I agree with the advice above on changing all your lights to LED equivalent. With a headlamp and 4 turn signals, you're probably saving between 6-9 amps going LED.
Good luck with your set-up
Might be the case with the stock mufflers. But with my Supertrapp or probably any aftermarket mufflers that are LOUD. An amp was indeed necessary.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:56 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

My super Trapp with 24 disc closed cap was quieter than stock. I couldn't stand it.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:58 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

thanks for the input.....My exhaust is loud when you get up into the rpm's but it isn't bad cruising, the wind noise is worse than the exhaust noise at 70.

I forgot about the audio section of the sight LOL. I'll have to do some reading in there.

Quick Reply: adding an audio system too much draw?