EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1985 FXRS-SP No Rear Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 06:31 AM
Rick5150
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 FXRS-SP No Rear Turn Signals

I bought the Turn Signal relocation kit for my bike and found that the single image and the wording did not match my skill level. Very little of it made sense and describing the procedure without images - even just showing images for each part name - was a head scratcher.

The assumption is that the turn signals were working before I started this project but I am not 100% certain of that.

As soon as I cut the wire on the left (clutch) side, there was a feeling of dread. I spliced a connector on and added the length of wire as described. Everything went fine until I completed the left side. I put on the turn signal and the front was flashing but the back was not - it was not lit at all. Nothing. Then I tried the right side and that one did not work either. I had not touched it at all at that point.

I took the left side apart again and assumed one of my connections was bad. I redid the connection and with the lights still apart, I tried the turn signals again. Nothing in the back. I removed the connector completely and holding the left turn signal in my hand, I touched the turn signal bulb wire directly to the wire I cut to rule out a shoddy connector. Still nothing on either side.

I have the manual and it does not look like much. Diagram shows a ground wire at the turn signal, but since there is only one wire, I figured it is just grounded to the frame? I am wondering if that is my problem. That would explain why nothing happened when I just held the turn signal in my hand with the wires twisted together. Would the ground on one side affect the other turn signal?

I am terrible with electrical troubleshooting but will try whatever I am capable of to get the rear turn signals up and running again. The first thing I am going to do is test the bike to be sure the turn signals are getting voltage. Then check (and replace) the bulbs if necessary. After that, I am stumped. I am 90% certain they were working before I started this project.

Last edited by Rick5150; 08-14-2016 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Added text with additional description
Old 08-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,338 Likes on 1,683 Posts

First thing to check is Grounding
If it is a Chiwanese "kit" it has Plastic Parts and you Must run a Ground Wire seperately...