EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Transmission shifter shaft seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:19 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Transmission shifter shaft seal

Question for you guys: can the transmission shifter shaft seal on a 96 Road King be changed without removing the primary cases?
I noticed my shift lever was loose and when I checked it out there is some oil seepage in that area. The shaft did not appear to move just the lever. I have to get a new bolt to use as the one in it is kind of ragged up. I'll try to add a couple of pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission shifter shaft seal-photo772.jpg   Transmission shifter shaft seal-photo586.jpg  
Old 07-21-2016, 09:04 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

Yes, requires removal of primary,
But i would suggest you clean that area very very well with a de-greaser.
After you clean it, go ahead and clean it again.
Then let it dry.
Then sprinkle some baby powder in the area to clarify if there is a leak overnight.
Unless it is a bad leak then it might not be worth the time unless you are changing a belt ,the transmission shift lever a stator or something else in the area.
The picture does not look like a leak but maybe it is a very mild seepage.

Last edited by im; 07-22-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:13 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the reply. I didn't have time to clean it up last night but that is on the agenda. I hadn't thought of using baby powder, I'll give that a try after I get it cleaned up. I'm hoping the threads aren't buggered up on the shift lever.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:53 AM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 204 Posts

Man, I don't know if you can change the shifter shaft seal without taking off the inner primary. I would like to learn how that is done. Might save folks lots of grief.

I recently had to pull the inner primary and replaced several seals while it was off. One of them was the shifter shaft seal. I had to drill two small holes, screwed in 2 sheet metal screws and pulled the seal off. Then you have to seat the seal to a proper depth. I did this with the right sized socket, tapping it in slowly. Then you replace the washer, and new C-clip. Replace the shifter shaft and torqued the heck out of it with a new allen socket bolt.

I don't think I could have done that without the inner primary off.

Some pics of the work. 1. Pulling out the seal 2. Options for shifter shaft bolt. Went with the black one which was grade 8. Little to no play in shifter shaft now. 3. New C-clip (dark). Got a two pack at Lowes 5/16" diameter.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission shifter shaft seal-20160622_151606-1-.jpg   Transmission shifter shaft seal-20160622_173731-1-.jpg   Transmission shifter shaft seal-20160624_114516-1-.jpg  
Old 07-21-2016, 12:51 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks. I did not have much time to mess with it, it seemed like it would be tight getting everything off and back in without taking the primary off. I may just clean it up and see how it goes for now.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:48 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Post up a how to with the primary because mine is loose and I couldn't get it off. I tightened mine down with blue lock tight and a grade 8 bolt untill winter.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:27 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

I stopped by the dealer on the way home from work and picked up a new bolt. I talked to one of the guys there about the seal and he confirmed it couldn't be done without removing the primary cases.
BUT I did get out of there today for $1.13 for that new grade 8 bolt and now the shift lever is tighter than a tick's *** on a hound dog!!
I'll clean the area up this weekend and see how much seepage is going on.
Thanks for the help!

Old 07-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

As was said, be sure it's the seal. The shift adjuster screw and lock nut is right there, and mine tends to seep a bit of oil from the screw threads (and always has). Also, the vent for the transmission and primary is right above the shift lever area. That could also be a source of the oil you're seeing.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
As was said, be sure it's the seal. The shift adjuster screw and lock nut is right there, and mine tends to seep a bit of oil from the screw threads (and always has). Also, the vent for the transmission and primary is right above the shift lever area. That could also be a source of the oil you're seeing.
Thanks Uncle G! I did not realize the vents exited right there! I'm planning on cleaning up that area Saturday and see how it goes. I don't see any runs or drips of oil so whatever it is is just seeping right now.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:10 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default shifter shaft

If the shaft is loose and you don't know how to tighten it let us know

Quick Reply: Transmission shifter shaft seal