EVO All Evo Model Discussion

'95 FXDWG - Eerie Random Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:40 PM
happyhab
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '95 FXDWG - Eerie Random Engine Noise

This is one of those sounds that makes you wonder if your bike is going to be sitting in the shop torn down all summer.

It popped up a couple rides ago and when I was on the bike at low speeds or just at idle it was sounding more like a tiny little muffled backfire, cough, sputter, and I never thought much of it. Kinda like a small engine that doesn't idle quite right and has a little sputter every now and then.

However, after a little ride last night and a secondary fuel issue, we were down low beside the bike, right side, at idle, and I could here a totally random sound that that was definitely metallic and sounded like a screw being tossed around and scrubbing or binding every now and then. Definitely coming from the bottom end.

My chain is properly tensioned and I have to say that this bike was definitely loved and babied, it's gorgeous.

The bike has 28,000 kms.

Attached Thumbnails '95 FXDWG - Eerie Random Engine Noise-dyna.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 06:38 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by happyhab
This is one of those sounds that makes you wonder if your bike is going to be sitting in the shop torn down all summer.

It popped up a couple rides ago and when I was on the bike at low speeds or just at idle it was sounding more like a tiny little muffled backfire, cough, sputter, and I never thought much of it. Kinda like a small engine that doesn't idle quite right and has a little sputter every now and then.

However, after a little ride last night and a secondary fuel issue, we were down low beside the bike, right side, at idle, and I could here a totally random sound that that was definitely metallic and sounded like a screw being tossed around and scrubbing or binding every now and then. Definitely coming from the bottom end.

My chain is properly tensioned and I have to say that this bike was definitely loved and babied, it's gorgeous.

The bike has 28,000 kms.
I'd say it's time to pull the cam cover off and have a look!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:46 PM
happyhab
Cruiser

It sounds a bit like this:

Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Sound not working on my computer.
Sorry.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:45 PM
Gearhead88
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

It's gonna be a bad cam bearing or a bad cam follower.

That's what I'm going with .

Either of those can be quite destructive , have it checked out .

Let us know what it winds up being

Old 05-25-2016, 12:15 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,727 Likes on 8,018 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I'd say it's time to pull the cam cover off and have a look!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep. 95 had the INA cam bearing & the "A" style small axle lifters & both are prone to fail.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:38 AM
happyhab
Cruiser

I find it a little ironic that after doing a lot of research and soul searching about about whether to buy an EVO or 2000+ bike, I'm getting saddled with the 'known' EVO issue (potentially) almost immediately. Lol.

Anyhow, I am grateful to have enough sense to hear something that isn't right before it does a lot more damage. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have a little more inspection completed and will post an update.

In the meantime I will have a look online and in my manual to best understand the right plan of attack for diagnosing potential cam bearing or follower issue, and maybe failed lifters too.

If there are some threads that you can point me too that would be helpful.

Thanks again guys.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:59 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,476 Likes on 3,650 Posts

To me the sound is more prevalent in the rocker box. Get some wrenches and a manual and have a go...The sound could be traveling up the pushrod tube from a bad lifter or cam.. But I would say definitely in the valve train.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:06 AM
happyhab
Cruiser

Agreed. I do have the manual and a fairly open evening, so will be doing some research tonight and hopefully someone will post a link or two that might also aid in a game plan. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2016, 07:25 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by happyhab
I find it a little ironic that after doing a lot of research and soul searching about about whether to buy an EVO or 2000+ bike, I'm getting saddled with the 'known' EVO issue (potentially) almost immediately. Lol.

Anyhow, I am grateful to have enough sense to hear something that isn't right before it does a lot more damage. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have a little more inspection completed and will post an update.

In the meantime I will have a look online and in my manual to best understand the right plan of attack for diagnosing potential cam bearing or follower issue, and maybe failed lifters too.

If there are some threads that you can point me too that would be helpful.

Thanks again guys.
Your bike doesn't have followers.

Quick Reply: '95 FXDWG - Eerie Random Engine Noise