EVO All Evo Model Discussion

86 FLST suspension bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:38 AM
OldWheels
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 86 FLST suspension bolts

just had the front bolt on the suspension shock shear clean off…. lucky it didn't have me straight off as it was was hanging down facing the road surface. Anyone had this problem? is it a design weakness? I have ordered new bolts (not sure i want to risk the integrity of the others) The devil will trying to get the piece that's left in the farm out. Looks like the primary will have to come off to get to it. Joy.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Have 200,000 miles on my Softail and haven't had it happen yet (knock on wood). Fact is, any bolt can break given enough stress/time.

I do replace the bolts whenever I replace the shocks (on the fourth set now).

On the other hand, I HAVE had the left side lower tree pinch bold shear twice on me.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,224 Likes on 5,852 Posts

I still have the original bolts on my 84...on and off many times...had them chromed ,which some will say is a no-no...no problems. Almost certainly if the bolt broke, it is because it came loose and you did not catch it.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:08 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by OldWheels
just had the front bolt on the suspension shock shear clean off…. lucky it didn't have me straight off as it was was hanging down facing the road surface. Anyone had this problem? is it a design weakness? I have ordered new bolts (not sure i want to risk the integrity of the others) The devil will trying to get the piece that's left in the farm out. Looks like the primary will have to come off to get to it. Joy.
If you got aftermarket bolts be aware that they are just a little bit longer than the stock ones and you will have to add a washer to make up the difference.
If you don't you will break them too.

Take lots of pictures and keep us updated on your progress as I am very interested on how you get to the front ones.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:26 AM
Farm Shop
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Does your bike have the original remote reaevoir shocks on it?

I've broke 3 or four of those bolts and it was all because the PO put some aftermarket shocks on it that weren't designed for the early softails.

But with mine it was always a rear bolt so I could just pull the swingarm off.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,224 Likes on 5,852 Posts

Originally Posted by Farm Shop
I've broke 3 or four of those bolts and it was all because the PO put some aftermarket shocks on it that weren't designed for the early softails.
Good call...if someone put 89-99 shocks on it...they will hit the transmission mounting plate bolts at full suspension travel.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:23 PM
8ntsane
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced the bolts on my 87 and texas is right, the replacements are just a tad longer than stock. I'm not sure if the two bolts would butt together on the inside or not. I do recall machining off the excess before I installed them. But as Texas has said, a washer would do the trick as well. I still have the factory bolts, so if you want to know the measurement, just let me know.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:32 PM
OldWheels
Intermediate

Thanks guys… The plan is to get back into it tomorrow as I now have the the new bolts. Primary had to come off to get the sheared bolt out of the frame. I'll check and see if they are the stock shocks… I don't remember but a very useful bit of info Farm Shop… something that may not be that apparent when they are fitted. If they are they would have 44K miles on them so would be due for replacement anyway I guess. Will give a run down of the full outcome when we are done.
Cheers

Old 05-15-2016, 02:44 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,016 Likes on 17,913 Posts

I've repaired several of those with sheared bolts and always the guy was running the shocks too soft and bottoming out hard so check the preload or consider upgrading the shocks particularly if you and the little lady aren't so little.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:39 AM
OldWheels
Intermediate

So… it looks like there are later model shocks in there as the separate reservoirs are missing. Not sure where they would foul the frame though when in use? (Farm Shop)
Devil of a job getting to the two top bolts of the Inner Primary… looks like it would have been easier to have taken the oil tank off? Had to get that off to get a drill to sheared bolt.
All back together now although we will have to strip again as the inner primary seal is now leaking (dooh) we didn't have the gasket kit and needed to clear the bench….so we'll be back in there before the bike gets ridden anywhere!! Thanks for all the advise fellas.