EVO All Evo Model Discussion

$26 sloppy shifter fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:34 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default $26 sloppy shifter fix

well, maybe a touch more (as you might need to pull the inner primary depending on you situation)

while doing the rest of my work, decided to ask an old salt @ the stealership about the bushings for the front shifter shaft.

shifter shaft is $18
shifter shaft bushings (x2) are $4.50/ea

if youre arent completely demolished like mine were, you can use a new bushing to knock BOTH bushings out the back (theres enough room to let them fall out with the inner primary on the bike)...knock both old bushings out the back and tap the new one in til it JUST pokes out the back. knock the new front is JUST shy of flush (book spec is 10thou protruding), pre-grease everything, knock the new shaft in, reattach shifter and linkages and ENJOY

seriously, its night and day. ALL the slop in the shift linkage is gone. I regreased everything, and the rest of it will go back together tomorrow (need a new pawl shaft circlip, bent the one I had taking it off), and it can come back together

bushings - 33713-85B x2

shaft - 33709-82A

The following users liked this post:
flhchaz (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 07:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Having had my '90 primary stripped recently, to put in my DD6, I had those bushings and shaft changed as well. May even get to try them on the road one day.....

Old 05-10-2016, 09:02 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

If you haven't done it yet install a set of heim joints for the linkage connection. Absolutely tightens everything up.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:33 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I need to tackle this project on my 1993 Fatboy. There's a lot of slop in my shift lever. 96K miles on the bike and I've never changed this bushing.
Bushing part number is: 33714-90B, MSRP: $4.49 each, need 2
While I'm in there, I'll also replace the (2) O-Rings, 11191, $0.99 each

How do I remove and install the new bushings? I know post #1 says to knock the old ones out with the new ones. Is that the recommended method?
Is there a tool available? I know Jims makes a tool to deal with the bushings in a FLH, Jims #5518
I guess I'm looking for a similar tool (or method) that I can use.

Here's a video showing the Jim's tool in use

One additional question: Why is a brass faced hammer recommended? I've seen this before mentioned in the past as the tool to use when hitting a punch. Is it because the brass is a soft metal and won't damage a punch/anvil?

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 05-05-2018 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Additional question added
Old 05-05-2018, 10:39 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
One additional question: Why is a brass faced hammer recommended? I've seen this before mentioned in the past as the tool to use when hitting a punch. Is it because the brass is a soft metal and won't damage a punch/anvil?
A hardened hammer face against a hardened punch can send a hardened little dagger flying... into eyes typically. It can also generate a spark at the same time.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following users liked this post:
LQQK_OUT (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 10:41 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashone
If you haven't done it yet install a set of heim joints for the linkage connection. Absolutely tightens everything up.
^^^^This^^^^

I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2018, 11:01 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I have the heim joints on my shift linkage.
I know I can install the new bushings using a bolt, nut and a couple of washers.
I'm still at a loss as to how to remove the installed old bushings.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:31 AM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

i have a handful of punches that i've collected/made over the year, and even wit those, it was a MOTHER****ER to get the old bushings out. i actually had my inner primary off at the time, so I took a hacksaw blade (narrow enough to fit through) and made a slot down each side of the bushing, and used a small awl to bend the old bushing in towards itself. a dedicated tool would have been nice, but it'd likely be a 1-and-done job for me, so didnt feel like spending the money.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 865 Posts

Can't speak very highly regarding all the pinch bolts everywhere on the shifter either. Tend to loosen up over time. Use loctite on all of them.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:14 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

Everybody make a note to hit the zerk fiting on the shifter shaft and the rear brake shaft with grease every time you change your oil.

Like I do.

carl

Quick Reply: $26 sloppy shifter fix