EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Check My CV Carb Jetting Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016 | 05:21 PM
89FLHTC
|
Supporter

OK. Thanks Yankee Dog. I'll keep an eye on it. Yes..I am having fun with my bike. I enjoy tinkering with it but sometimes it gets me in trouble . I do always come away learning something though.

Old 05-04-2016 | 05:42 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by 89FLHTC
OK. Thanks Yankee Dog. I'll keep an eye on it. Yes..I am having fun with my bike. I enjoy tinkering with it but sometimes it gets me in trouble . I do always come away learning something though.
That's all that matters!

Old 05-04-2016 | 05:51 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Just make sure you don't get any pre-ignition or spark knock, I had a battle with that last year after I switched to the Ultima igniton, so far no issues this year after a few changes. YD
Could you elaborate?

Old 05-04-2016 | 06:34 PM
89FLHTC
|
Supporter

What is a NOKG needle ? Came with the S&S CV Kit. Sportster taper?
Edit. I found it. No-hassle Keilin Jetting. Looks like it is specific to the jets I used so, I better change it. I already changed the emulsion tube.

Last edited by 89FLHTC; 05-04-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2016 | 10:06 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a 45 pilot and 180 main in my 99 Softail Custom with drag pipes and it runs fine. I do have small baffles or lollipops in the pipes. I get right at 50 MPG on average, but that may be from the fact that my bike is much lighter than yours. Mine had a 42 pilot when I got it and it was to lean. Helped a bunch when I went to the 45.

Old 05-05-2016 | 04:56 AM
Schex
Supporter

Originally Posted by 89FLHTC
I juts did the jetting today so, I dont know about the mileage yet. I have been getting around 32 mpg.

32 mpg with a CV? that's terrible, might be OK if you had 130hp.

A few things on those plugs don't look right, for one, there's no obvious timing indicator on the ground strap.

Get a new set of plugs, use a very little antiseize on the threads.

Go out and run at a steady 70mph for a few miles, pull clutch, hit kill switch and coast to a stop,
remove plugs and take pictures, post them up and lets see why your mileage sucks.

Last edited by Schex; 05-05-2016 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2016 | 06:39 AM
89FLHTC
|
Supporter

Originally Posted by Schex3x

A few things on those plugs don't look right, for one, there's no obvious timing indicator on the ground strap.

Go out and run at a steady 70mph for a few miles, pull clutch, hit kill switch and coast to a stop,
remove plugs and take pictures, post them up and lets see why your mileage sucks.
What do you mean by no timing indicator on the ground strap?? These are NGK plugs. Yes, the mileage has always sucked but, it is a heavy bike.

Old 05-05-2016 | 07:42 AM
Schex
Supporter

If I was getting 32, even two up, loaded full geezer mode, I'd be looking for a fuel leak or feeling the brake rotors for dragging brakes or something.

To get a true plug read, you have to take a "snapshot" of the range you want to check, hence chopping the motor and coasting to a stop without idling or deceleration.

Looking at the plugs you posted, front looks leaner, they both look rich, possibly an intake leak causing the jerking, and you masked it with bigger jets, I see some timing indication on the front, which looks to be correct, but looks cold, but with idling or enricher use, it's a guess.

Get some cheap stock champions (RN12YC if I remember correct)to do a read.

Old 05-05-2016 | 09:50 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Schex3x

The way I learned it, that ground strap indicates proper heat range of the plug and I can see the anneal line pretty close to where it is supposed to be, at the bend...

I look for the thin .020 ring around the electrode on the porcelain as well as the electrode tip for timing indicators...YD

Old 05-05-2016 | 10:10 AM
89FLHTC
|
Supporter

UPDATES:
I may have found the source of my poor fuel mileage. Here is the needle that was installed in my CV. Not sure who made it but, as you can see, it alos had 3 washers stacked under the head.

So, I installed the new NOKG needle without any washers, adjusted the mixture which is at 2 turns from seated and 100% of the jerking is GONE! Its never ran this good. No surging or anything even under the lightest throttle. WooHoo!
Here is the front plug (new) after 20 miles at 65 mph...

And the rear plug..........

I left the jets at 48/175. Im thinking I might could go a little smaller on the slow speed jet but hate to mess with it right now. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Check My CV Carb Jetting Please