EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016 | 08:03 AM
92Fatty
Road Master

You are a patient ****!! I need to find a cake to post up for successful project.

Old 04-26-2016 | 08:58 AM
texashillcountry
|
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
if you use only 14G black wire this time and do a late model FLHTCU with a side car you will never complain again about wiring

the tools help and they sent you the wrong harness BTW
Do you have a source for the correct one???

Everything else was right except for the 12 pin connectors.
Well that and the fact they left off the neutral light connection.

Old 04-27-2016 | 09:31 AM
Codyyy
Intermediate

I was directed here from another member, I thought I posted my thread in the right forum but forgot there was an EVO forum too... oops.
Anyway, are you having problems with these connectors?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...4-problem.html

I have 6+ months into this wiring project. Bruce Linsday makes the correct main harness for my '94 FLSTC however he puts those 3 connectors on that just "float" around in the frame. I am not sure if this will affect it but I assume the vibrations for connectors at that place would cause a problem.
I bought a main harness from GoodOldMotorcyclePartsCompany I believe. They stock the Bruce Linsday harness. I realized I would need every other wire on the bike, so I bought a complete wiring kit from V-Twin. V-Twin does not seem to make the correct main harness. The relay wiring is slightly different, not a big deal but the wiring for the main circuit breaker is too short. My circuit breaker is located behind the mud flap. Also, some of the colors of the wires are different.
I have bought p/n 72276-74 from two different places. Harley gave me the wrong side altogether, and a place on eBay has a picture of the exact ones I want with the correct prongs however when I got them they were the same as what is already on my new harness. I suspect Harley superseded this p/n and decided that it works.

Old 04-27-2016 | 02:37 PM
texashillcountry
|
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Codyyy
I was directed here from another member, I thought I posted my thread in the right forum but forgot there was an EVO forum too... oops.
Anyway, are you having problems with these connectors?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...4-problem.html

I have 6+ months into this wiring project. Bruce Linsday makes the correct main harness for my '94 FLSTC however he puts those 3 connectors on that just "float" around in the frame. I am not sure if this will affect it but I assume the vibrations for connectors at that place would cause a problem.
I bought a main harness from GoodOldMotorcyclePartsCompany I believe. They stock the Bruce Linsday harness. I realized I would need every other wire on the bike, so I bought a complete wiring kit from V-Twin. V-Twin does not seem to make the correct main harness. The relay wiring is slightly different, not a big deal but the wiring for the main circuit breaker is too short. My circuit breaker is located behind the mud flap. Also, some of the colors of the wires are different.
I have bought p/n 72276-74 from two different places. Harley gave me the wrong side altogether, and a place on eBay has a picture of the exact ones I want with the correct prongs however when I got them they were the same as what is already on my new harness. I suspect Harley superseded this p/n and decided that it works.
Yep those were the connectors that came on the J&P harness.
I just went with the old connectors and everything else fit fine.

Old 04-28-2016 | 10:52 AM
texashillcountry
|
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Thanks for the idea though.

I went and looked in Amazon and found this
Amazon.com: Jonard R-5926 Pin Extractor, 16-20 Contact Size, 3" Length: Industrial & Scientific

Which looks a lot like what I need!!
I got the tool in yesterday and tried it out on a blank connector.
It worked well.
Instead of having to look for the tab that holds the pin in place all you have to do is put the tool on the pin, wiggle it in all 4 directions and push the plunger and whamo the pin comes out!!!
DAMN it would have made the job so much faster!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2016 | 08:36 PM
Codyyy
Intermediate

I ended up going to the local hobby store with one of the connectors and bought some small aircraft aluminum round tubing, cut it down and used a small phillips screwdriver to push the connector. If I would have found that tool sooner I probably would have bought it. BTW, if you need the special crimper, they have cheap ones here that work really well. P/N ECT39 I think, use "D" for the crimp part itself and "C" for the strain relief.
http://www.cycleterminal.com/crimp-tools.html

Old 04-28-2016 | 08:57 PM
texashillcountry
|
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Codyyy
I ended up going to the local hobby store with one of the connectors and bought some small aircraft aluminum round tubing, cut it down and used a small phillips screwdriver to push the connector. If I would have found that tool sooner I probably would have bought it. BTW, if you need the special crimper, they have cheap ones here that work really well. P/N ECT39 I think, use "D" for the crimp part itself and "C" for the strain relief.
http://www.cycleterminal.com/crimp-tools.html
Thanks for the link but I bought one years ago when I put 16" apes on my bike.
The one I have just has different sizes for different size wires I don't know anything about D for crimp or C for strain relief.

FWIW the aftermarket pins aren't worth a damn without solder.