EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 09:52 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Exhaust options

This will be a surprise to those of you that know me... curious about cutting my drags to add a slip on to improve performance, if that is even possible. As I am quite happy with the sound and performance.
But people are firm that I am losing performance even with power cones installed. I currently own three systems and buying another is not an option at the moment.
Reason for consideration is not to burn out my new valve job or do any other damage to my rebuild. Drags are 1-3/4" ...

Options and opinions please....

Last edited by glidein wide; 04-09-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Sure is. Just get a tape measure out. I might have some muffler u can try. Live in the middle of the state. Measure the pipes. Drags lately are a big income for cops on RT 1 lately.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:08 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,785 Likes on 890 Posts

If you are happy with the sound and performance of YOUR bike, the only option you have is say blow me. If you are having to drop gears with real world riding suffering then make a change. Just be careful with that Bumpandrun, he will have your bike down to frame designing a exhaust system.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 23,591 Likes on 7,755 Posts

I've always had great results with Cycle Shack slip-ons. Best bang for the buck exhaust there is.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:06 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,306 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Throw the damnable cones away and go back to riding...
Cones do Not Work...Wonder why No One uses 'em on a Drag Bike???

Old 04-10-2016, 08:07 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Racepres
Throw the damnable cones away and go back to riding...
Cones do Not Work...Wonder why No One uses 'em on a Drag Bike???
No I do not wonder why.... power cones are not ment for racing !!! I am not racing the bike, that is why I am using the power cones because they do help make a drag pipe streetable. Open drags are for WOT,everyone says that, so why is your advice to throw them out and run nothing. Even the thumb screw curve video shows improvement from s&s.
Power cones do help, I will not run drags without. So my question stands, any recommendations on a baffling to help things out or a slip on ?
What I would like to see is a before and after curve of adding a baffle inside my 1 3/4"pipes without cones, versus just cones.
Already seen curve with nothing at all. Is there such a link or a site to go to ?????

Old 04-10-2016, 09:48 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,785 Likes on 890 Posts

Found something with a variety of 1 3/4 straight baffles.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/harley-baffles

Old 04-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Son of PMS
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I gave my younger brother a hard time about the 2" Sampson drags on his FXWG for years. Finally convinced him to put baffles in. He noticed an immediate low end torque improvement. You might try baffles before cut your pipes, cost less than slip ons, keeps the drag pipe sound at lower volume, etc.
Another friend put 12" baffles in the 1 3/4" drags on his FXR, that bike is quieter than my FXD with stock looking Khrome Werks slip ons.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:51 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Found something with a variety of 1 3/4 straight baffles.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/harley-baffles
That's cool, thanks, I seen those 4" ones but they didn't say what diameters, I'm going to buy and try those 1-3/4"x4" mini baffles and see if any different. Curious if I should try them with or without the cones, maybe I will try both ways. Main goal is to not damage my exhaust valves. Haven't gotten any feedback if a baffle will help prevent damage. My plugs always look good and pipes are not coloring from excessive heat so I think things are good. Just trying to make improvements here if possible.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:13 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
That's cool, thanks, I seen those 4" ones but they didn't say what diameters, I'm going to buy and try those 1-3/4"x4" mini baffles and see if any different. Curious if I should try them with or without the cones, maybe I will try both ways. Main goal is to not damage my exhaust valves. Haven't gotten any feedback if a baffle will help prevent damage. My plugs always look good and pipes are not coloring from excessive heat so I think things are good. Just trying to make improvements here if possible.
At one point in time I had some fishtails that came without baffles.
I bought some 1 3/4" baffles that were in the Drag Specialties Catalog and they helped immensely.

If I recall they were like 12 or 14 inches long.

Quick Reply: Exhaust options