EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Has anyone replaced a radio light bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:39 PM
93 Bagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone replaced a radio light bulb?

I have a manual that only says contact your stealership for radio info, and have searched the forum here with no luck. So my question is: Has anyone here changed a light bulb in the face of an early 90's model Harley Davidson radio, and if so, how is it done? I can barely read the time on the LCD display.

This comes a day after tearing my fairing apart to install a pair of J&M speakers. I have lot's of pictures if someone would care to do a write up on that process. Not nearly as easy as removing 7 #27 torx head screws like the newer ones I might add.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:06 PM
93 Bagger
Cruiser
Default RE: Has anyone replaced a radio light bulb?

Anyone? I did it once on my old F150. I'm wondering if it's even possible.[sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 05-21-2007, 09:00 AM
onephsyco1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sorry to say I have not .
How do you like these speakers ?
pics , I would like to see
The earlier Ford radios were easy to replace . Then
they changed , You needed to send them out for repairs !

Jack

Old 05-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Oh, how I long for those days when all ya had to do was reach up behind the dash and replace the bulb...Bro, those days are long gone. The fuel gauge in my two week old Malibu SS wouldn't light up, so....The repair is to replace the entire cluster.

Probably the HD dealerships handle it the same way the auto dealerships do: They 'swap out' the radio. I had this issue with my 2002 Blazer where two of the 'program' buttons won't light up. Service department doesn't deal with radio repair, and that's what they consider this to be. So they pull and replace with a rebuild/reman.

Now if you're adventurous...Pull it out, take it apart, find the 'culprit', head to your local electronics store and pick up a replacement.

Or swap in a 'better' aftermarket radio...Which is what I'll probably do on my Blazer if it really starts to 'bug' me.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:57 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hackd

Oh, how I long for those days when all ya had to do was reach up behind the dash and replace the bulb...Bro, those days are long gone. The fuel gauge in my two week old Malibu SS wouldn't light up, so....The repair is to replace the entire cluster.

Probably the HD dealerships handle it the same way the auto dealerships do: They 'swap out' the radio. I had this issue with my 2002 Blazer where two of the 'program' buttons won't light up. Service department doesn't deal with radio repair, and that's what they consider this to be. So they pull and replace with a rebuild/reman.

Now if you're adventurous...Pull it out, take it apart, find the 'culprit', head to your local electronics store and pick up a replacement.

Or swap in a 'better' aftermarket radio...Which is what I'll probably do on my Blazer if it really starts to 'bug' me.
I totally agreeI might would dig into it myself.......might not be all that bad.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Good Luck, and take some pics. I'm certain that we'd all find them educational.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:34 PM
93 Bagger
Cruiser

The speakers are much better than stock, but then again my right speaker was making some bad noise at higher volumes. Nice big magnets on the J&M's compared to stock!

I may have to try changing the light some day. I am wondering now if nobody has done it on this forum, if it can be done at all. I would like an after market radio with a CD/MP3 so that may be the direction I end up going. Thanks for the replies! [sm=thanx.gif]