EVO All Evo Model Discussion

$1200 S&S motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:33 PM
shimaze
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Arrow $1200 S&S motor

Is $1200 for a 1999 S&S 88" motor a good deal? This motor has not been ran for several years and has been sitting on the shelf in the back of the shop. The seller claims it is a 96", but a quick call to S&S with the serial number of A01295 revealed that is was one of many unassembled engines sent to the Gilroy Indian plant to be assembled. This motor came out of an Indian Scout.

The motor is not locked up as I was able to rotate the crankshaft. The motor is a bit dirty and needs to be cleaned. But other than that it looks OK. But you can't judge a book by it's cover, nor can you do the same for a motorcycle engine. But for $1200, I get a heavy duty engine with all the goodies?

My main question: Is this a good motor to have? I really had my heart set on a big ole'96"er, but will I do good with an 88"? I am not looking to win any races, but I do enjoy rolling on the throttle and hearing the carbureted Evolution motor roar! I will change the dismal 520 cam as suggested by S&S, but I am not sure what works best for this engine?

Next question: Has anyone ever used an 88" S&S motor from an Indian? I hear from a reputable source that the cylinders are out of round because of a !@#$ up by Indian when the engine was assembled. Apparently, Indian powder coated the cylinders prior to assembly. The bad thing was that they didn’t use torque plates and the 4000 heat distorted the cylinders. This causes blow by and the only remedy is boring the cylinders .010 over.

http://www.aardvarkcycle.com/cylinder_photo_page.html

Has anyone ever used this motor? And if so, was this cylinder distortion a problem for you? It is disappointing that this is that was supposed to be a $1200 big cube drop in replacement for my leaky 80”, but is going to cost at least $800 more than I was hoping to spend and it is going to be 8 cubes less than what I had my heart set on L

Advice/opinions/recommendations/ideas/comments …please!

Thanks, Shimaze

Old 01-30-2016, 03:23 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

An engine with a shaky history. And the shop told you it was the wrong size. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. What kind of shop is this?

If you need info on S &S engines let me know. My daughter's fiancee's parents both work for S&S. His mom is in sales, Dad's a mechanic. I actually haven't met his Dad yet, but could probably get his email for you.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:28 AM
shimaze
Tourer
Lightbulb Shakey

Yes, it is a bit shaky. This motor is not being sold by a shop. It is in the hands of an average DYI mechanic. He assumed all S&S motors were of the V96 variety that cost upwards of $5k. He advertised it as a new S&S 96" motor. I went to look at and I could tell that it didn't get used much, but it had been sitting for several years. I suspected there was a reason it was pulled out of a bike and laid to rest. He claimed his buddy bought it and put it in his chopper and then shortly thereafter wrecked it. And then they put it in another bike, and then they ultimately parted the bike out the second bike and never used it again.

I too thought that most S&S's were the 96", but I also knew of the 80" versions too. That is what I was afraid of getting and is why I called S&S. I never heard of an 88" S&S, but I vaguly remember that the Indians had a little bigger engines than Harley's and I remember they used the S&S motors.

Even at $1200 and in need of boring and new pistons, I think I am still good? Even if I have to rebuild it, I am better off putting money into the 88" S&S motor? And the guy Mark at the Indian website said he would give me $1200 it if I changed my mind. He said the Super stock heads alone cost $1000.

I may just put it in as is or I may pulled the top of the motor to have the cylinders checked for roundness? If it looks like it needs to much work, I could put it back on together and resell it. These days rebuildable Evo's seem t be going for a $1000? This 88" S&S should be a decent place to start an Evo build?

Thanks for your reply. As for offering to help me out with contacts to S&S, while I do appreciate it, everyone at S&S were very helpful!

Thanks, Shimaze

Old 01-30-2016, 05:32 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,476 Likes on 3,650 Posts

Obviously your looking at the price more than then the facts. Listen to the facts. I would say keep looking for what you want. Don't settle.... It always creates a bad taste in your mouth....

Old 01-30-2016, 08:28 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Obviously your looking at the price more than then the facts. Listen to the facts. I would say keep looking for what you want. Don't settle.... It always creates a bad taste in your mouth....

96" minimum with a 103" prefered

You'll just lose money on that 88"er JMO

Last edited by texashillcountry; 01-30-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:19 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,266 Likes on 5,864 Posts

Originally Posted by shimaze
My main question: Is this a good motor to have? I really had my heart set on a big ole'96"er,

If it is indeed an 88" it is already 3 5/8" bore... so all you need is a 4 5/8" crank and pistons to have a 96". That is another $1200 for a complete assembled crank. If you can assemble it yourself you could have an 96 for a descent price.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

According to Ebay, we can buy a secondhand 80" Evo for less then $2k, which is a datum for comparison, a new S&S 80" engine for less than $4k, or a new Ultima 107" for the same. So the question is, at what point does spending money on that old 88" cease to be economical? Around $2k I reckon, certainly no more than $3k.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:03 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,679 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I think if you visualise this thing as a basket of parts and not an engine, maybe it makes sense.

If the cases, the jugs (hopefully they have enough meat left to be rebored and trued) and the heads are usable, you've covered the $1200. Sell off the crank, rods and maybe the pistons and you'll be a little father ahead.

Without opening the motor you won't know what you are working with, so its just a pig in a poke.

If it was me, I'd make a real low ball offer and see what happens, with the understanding that I'm basically buying a head start on building a motor from scratch.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:17 PM
shimaze
Tourer

Thanks for all your replies. Tallying up the vote yields mixed results.

The up or down vote seems to reveal the point of view the matter is looked at. And everyone made very good points. It seems to me at this point it is a gamble, a roll of the dice. I could get an engine that is drop in ready or just a bunch of parts in which half need to be discarded and replaced. Mr. Brown, you are correct, at some point on the money scale, it tilts in favor of a new motor. And 0maha, your view as just a bunch of parts is wise & well founded. The S&S heads, case, and heavy crank are worth a couple of dollars too. This motor, although 8 blocks short of my destination, is closer to my goal than I was before.

I think I will do what Omaha suggested and offer him a low ball price of $800. The deal has to be renegotiated because I am not buying what I thought I was buying and likewise he is not selling what he thought he had.

*Tom, I believe the 88" has slightly shorter cylinders while the 96" has cylinders that are a bit taller? If that is true, there is no swapping the crank for the extra cubes.

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 01-30-2016, 01:30 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by shimaze
Thanks for all your replies. Tallying up the vote yields mixed results.

The up or down vote seems to reveal the point of view the matter is looked at. And everyone made very good points. It seems to me at this point it is a gamble, a roll of the dice. I could get an engine that is drop in ready or just a bunch of parts in which half need to be discarded and replaced. Mr. Brown, you are correct, at some point on the money scale, it tilts in favor of a new motor. And 0maha, your view as just a bunch of parts is wise & well founded. The S&S heads, case, and heavy crank are worth a couple of dollars too. This motor, although 8 blocks short of my destination, is closer to my goal than I was before.

I think I will do what Omaha suggested and offer him a low ball price of $800. The deal has to be renegotiated because I am not buying what I thought I was buying and likewise he is not selling what he thought he had.

*Tom, I believe the 88" has slightly shorter cylinders while the 96" has cylinders that are a bit taller? If that is true, there is no swapping the crank for the extra cubes.

Thanks for all the replies!
That is not true!!!!
88 rods are shorter with taller pistons.

Quick Reply: $1200 S&S motor