EVO All Evo Model Discussion

To start and let idle or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:47 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,467 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Nope, not everyone. In fact, most of us use a tender when we're not going to be able to ride for a few weeks or longer.

It does indeed cycle the battery. It let's it go down a little ways, then brings it back up.

They really do work great!
So I guess you really need to read the fine print to make sure you don't get a continuous charge.... Thanx...

Old 01-29-2016, 09:06 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

I think I'll RIDE Tomorrow to charge the battery, adjust the Ohlins, and clear the cobwebs........

OOPS, Sorry....... wrong section.......HOWDY EVO BRO's!

Old 01-30-2016, 11:42 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,467 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Yea yea.... I think the only Cob webs are in your head. So yea a ride would do it right...

Old 01-30-2016, 01:03 PM
tomfiii
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Try not to let idle for long period ,get on bike ,straighten it up and raise idle up 200 to 300 rpm until you feel heat in head and cylinder and then take it easy until it gets some miles on it.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:40 PM
Hephaestus
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for contributing to this post because this is a topic that my friends and I debate every year. I personally park mine and leave it untill spring.

In my area if we get 1 inch of snow, they throw down 2 inches of salt so my bikes stay in the garage the entire winter. My routine every fall is to fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer. I also put on the battery tender. My tender lights yellow if there is a fault or battery isnt taking a charge, flashes green while charging the battery, and goes to solid green and delivers a maintenance charge when it detects a full battery. Ive never had a battery fail before it was 6 years old so im sold on the tenders. Its also nice going out in the spring and pulling the bike cover off and hitting the starter button and never having a dead battery on initial startup.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:16 PM
dirtfarmer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't start mine unless its warm enough to go for a ride. Sometime days it's just better to just avoid going in the garage and seeing it sitting there because I know me, and I get to thinking I need to hear it run. I think tomorrow will be warm enough even with a 20mph south breeze.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:39 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,208 Likes on 5,849 Posts

I fire mine up a few times in the winter...just to keep it from sumping...I always keep the battery charged... but if I let it set too long it makes a mess in the floor...just crank it long enough to get the oil back in the tank...have an 84 that still has the 84 rings the MOTO company gave it..so must work OK.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:32 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,105 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Without a doubt the best place for different opinions and advice anywhere.

"If everyone did/thought the same thing we would all be driving black ford's"

Old 01-31-2016, 07:32 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I fire mine up a few times in the winter...just to keep it from sumping...I always keep the battery charged... but if I let it set too long it makes a mess in the floor...just crank it long enough to get the oil back in the tank...have an 84 that still has the 84 rings the MOTO company gave it..so must work OK.
Hey Tom,when your bike sumps,where does the oil start to drip from to make it to the floor ?
Mine has never done this....(I'm knocking on wood)

Old 01-31-2016, 07:41 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
First street bike I owned, I did that, too. After a couple of years the mufflers rotted out from the inside from all the acidic condensation from combustion in a cold motor.
Exactly what happened to my BMW R75/5. After having to buy a couple of new mufflers, you don't do that the following year.

All my junk is hooked to BatteryTenders over the winter: Harley FLHS, 76 Jeep CJ5, Checkmate 219 Persuarder (dual batteries), Xcursion pontoon (90hp Yamaha-ha), Husqvarna zero turn mower, etc, etc....

Quick Reply: To start and let idle or not