To start and let idle or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:24 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,678 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by Kabear
No battery tender.

Start and idle bike every two weeks or so in the garage until the heads are warm to the touch or oil temp is 80*+ on the temp gauges.

Now everyone tell me I'm wrong.
Why do all that? What problem are you solving?

I'm kind of in the middle on all this. I never "prep" a bike for winter. I just park it when it gets cold and take it out here and there when we catch a warm day (like today, BTW).

Never any troubles.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:30 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

You could get a solar powered trickle charger like you see on car dashboards. They work great!

Old 01-29-2016, 03:51 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,432 Likes on 5,023 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy

I pull my battery every winter and bring it inside and put in on a bench or plywood. Never on concrete, I hear it can drain the charge. Has to do with the moisture in concrete.
There was a time when this was true, but the days of asphalt battery cases is long gone.

Storing a battery on concrete won`t affect the battery.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,432 Likes on 5,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Kabear
Now everyone tell me I'm wrong.
I couldn`t agree with you less...

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by following your advice...

Running the engine for a few minutes does nothing for the engine, it doesn`t burn off the condensation it has produced.

Originally Posted by 0maha
I never "prep" a bike for winter. I just park it when it gets cold and take it out here and there when we catch a warm day (like today, BTW).
That`s what I do, and every month or so I will connect the battery tender if it hasn`t been ridden (once the salt and other chemicals are down, the bike goes into hibernation).

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-29-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:25 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,467 Likes on 3,643 Posts

I see every one is staying away from the tender. Does it cycle the battery or does it just constantly trickle charge??

Old 01-29-2016, 04:32 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

I see every one is staying away from the tender. Does it cycle the battery or does it just constantly trickle charge??
There was a time when I had a battery charger and a separate trickle charger, may still have them somewhere. The first gave a steady high input suitable for a discharged battery, the second a low steady input suitable for a slightly discharged battery. Neither should be used constantly. A moderntender/minder is an electronic beasty with monitoring software that provides a charge to the battery on demand, so to speak. I have three of them. Do check when buying one that it makes clear that it does do that, as the decriptions I've seen for some of them are not clear.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,451 Likes on 2,779 Posts

I love my Battery Tender, never have a problem starting my bikes. All 4 are hooked up, yeh the 4 bike model. As far as winter, fuel stabilizer goes into the two Evo's they are not going out in the winter. Roadie has a very big wimp shield, that is what I am riding if I get a 40+ degree day and no road salt to be worried about. Flathead is in a different category as she is constantly getting worked on, but battery still on charger. No one ever, ever gets started unless they are going out for a ride. Better to let them hibernate then start and stop the motor, condensation, battery drain, all of that as far as I am concerned.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,923 Likes on 19,371 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Yup, you're wrong on several counts.....
I agree too :>(

Old 01-29-2016, 04:53 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 513 Posts

I have tenders on both my bikes. They work great. I average about 5 years out of a battery, and my bikes live in a shed with no heat in the winter and no cooling in the summer.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:46 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Nope, not everyone. In fact, most of us use a tender when we're not going to be able to ride for a few weeks or longer.

It does indeed cycle the battery. It let's it go down a little ways, then brings it back up.

They really do work great!

Quick Reply: To start and let idle or not