EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Fuel Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:39 AM
bigpappa160
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fuel Leak

Hey everyone need help before I take bike in to Harley shop Sat. I have a 91 ultra classic. There was a recall for the carb so I took it in to get fixed. Picked bike up last thurs didn't see anything leaking when I got it home. Seeing it was cold Sunday I started bike and warmed it up for about 20-30 min. So I went out this Morning uncovered bike, turn turned fuel on and it fired up nice. Let it run for about 15-20 min turn bike off and noticed fuel dripping under bike around where the little cross beam is on frame so I cut fuel off. So I thought it might have been coming from overflow tube. Well, went back out there after about 25 min uncovered it and turned fuel on and it just started pouring from under bike. Any help on this? I couldn't see where the fuel was coming from

Old 01-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 2,014 Posts

Sounds like you have either a stuck float/float needle or some dirt or something caught under the float needle. I'd shut off the gas, remove the float bowl and have a look. Check the retaining wire that hooks the float needle to the tab on the float. These can spread open and get caught on the tab, causing the float/needle to stick open.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:18 AM
bigpappa160
Road Captain

Wouldn't this still be under warranty seeing the carb recall was dealing with the float needle that the Harley shop just finished with last week?

Old 01-12-2016, 01:49 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by bigpappa160
Wouldn't this still be under warranty seeing the carb recall was dealing with the float needle that the Harley shop just finished with last week?
I certainly would think so

Sounds like a call to the service dept is in order at the very least

It's called a come back

WP

Old 01-12-2016, 02:41 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain

Uncle G I did cut the fuel off, because as I went out the second time and turned the petcock on it just started leaking, right now fuel is cutoff.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:43 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain

WP50, I called the shop and told them I'm trailering the bike in Sat which is the only time I have. I forgot to ask them, but I will ask when I get there, which to me it should still be under warranty seeing I just got the bike from the carb recall last Thurs. Rode it home, started it Sunday and this morning. Only drove the bike 20 miles.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:30 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

why the 20-30 minute warm up? 5 minutes of warm up for a carb evo is plenty.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:50 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain

bagga, it might not have been 20-30 min warmup, I know I pulled out the choke cable started bike, let it run for about 2 min with full choke then I closed it and walked inside to get some stuff ready for work. After that I went back out and turned off bike and noticed that there were liquid dripping from under bike, so I touched it and smelled it and it was fuel, so Thats when I thought it migh have been some over flow from tube. Shut fuel off, Covered bike up and started getting ready for work, then I was like crap that's bothering me, so after I got ready for work I went out uncovered bike turned on fuel and it just started leaking like a faucet.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:34 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

If it was my problem, I would close the gas of course, dry everything well, get under there with a light and open gas valve and watch for it to leak and follow that to the highest point of origin.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:02 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigpappa160
Hey everyone need help before I take bike in to Harley shop Sat. I have a 91 ultra classic. There was a recall for the carb so I took it in to get fixed. Picked bike up last thurs didn't see anything leaking when I got it home. Seeing it was cold Sunday I started bike and warmed it up for about 20-30 min. So I went out this Morning uncovered bike, turn turned fuel on and it fired up nice. Let it run for about 15-20 min turn bike off and noticed fuel dripping under bike around where the little cross beam is on frame so I cut fuel off. So I thought it might have been coming from overflow tube. Well, went back out there after about 25 min uncovered it and turned fuel on and it just started pouring from under bike. Any help on this? I couldn't see where the fuel was coming from
if the carb is in fact a 91, it has the early round float with early dog ears that keep it... thing is, the pin that holds the float, over time, wears on the ears and the float sticks because it doesnt float evenly.... you need to upgrade carb to later model with a more 'even' floating carb float

Quick Reply: Fuel Leak