EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Lifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:25 PM
johnod
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Lifter Question

Bought some used cams, which came with used lifters, does it matter if lifter is not reinstalled on the same cam lobe it was originally on?

Thanks

Old 12-31-2015, 02:28 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,130 Likes on 5,827 Posts

Not important on a roller lifter...that is a flat tappet thing...BUT...new lifters are cheap insurance for a long running motor...lost count of how many motors I have seen taken out by a lifter coming apart.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:14 PM
Big Member
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What usually recommended is to use lifters according to their places in the lifter blocks, i.e. same lifter in the same hole it came out of. So how old are your own?

"The devil you know is better than the devil you don't".

I'd say if your old ones are fine, stick with them unless you know for sure these are far better quality and/or new(er).

Old 12-31-2015, 03:20 PM
johnod
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Tom , that's pretty much what I figured.
Big, I did not know that, about the lifter blocks, so big thanks for that.

Decided to just buy some new Gaterman lifters, and be safe.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:23 PM
Big Member
Banned

Thanks. It's no big deal, it's just basic engineering good practise. Each element wears slightly so best keep it where it has worn ... if within limits and not replacing.

When you take anything apart, best mark them and put back in the same place.

In real world terms it's not likely to destroy your engine. To illustrate, the principle is, e.g. if you have one part that wears to the left before settling and you replace it with one that wears to the right, then you'll end up with double the tolerance. One piece might be a few thou smaller, another a few thou larger - within tolerances - and so you want them to fit back in the same place otherwise they might end up a little tight or too loose.

What were you concerned about ... the rollers on the tips off lifters being absolutely parallel on the lobes of camshaft, or wear or the rollers' axle?

How many miles are you talking about?

Old 12-31-2015, 08:37 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 844 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Member
What usually recommended is to use lifters according to their places in the lifter blocks, i.e. same lifter in the same hole it came out of. So how old are your own?

"The devil you know is better than the devil you don't".

I'd say if your old ones are fine, stick with them unless you know for sure these are far better quality and/or new(er).
It doesn't matter in the slightest because when you put new lifters in you don't use new lifter blocks....so the correct answer is that it doesn't matter....what does matter is that you know how many miles are on the used lifters and if nobody can tell you then use new ones.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Big Member
Banned

Originally Posted by Spanners39
....so the correct answer is that it doesn't matter....
No, the 'correct' answer is as I stated it.

It's in Harley-Davidson's factory service manual ... as it says, "To preserve existing wear patterns".

(P. 245 [3-31] and 251 [3-37] of the digital version I have. It is a basic engineering principle ... "things go back in where they came from").

Personally, I'd agree with you if you had said, "it's no big thing to lose sleep over if you don't" (we all make mistakes) ... but it's better that folks at least know what good practice is first, and establish good habits (and RTFM), rather than encourage them to be sloppy. Because another day it may well matter.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson
Remove the hydraulic lifters. Tag lifters as they are removed, so that they can be installed in their original locations. Also take note of their orientation (by observing location of the oil hole) to be able to discern front from rear at time of installation.
25. Install the hydraulic lifters in the crankcase bores with the flats facing forward and rearward. To preserve existing wear patterns, orientation of the oil hole (inboard or outboard) should have been noted during disassembly. To avoid damage, do not drop lifters onto cam lobes.

Last edited by Big Member; 01-01-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,764 Likes on 2,016 Posts

It's in Harley-Davidson's factory service manual ... as it says, "To preserve existing wear patterns".

(P. 245 [3-31] and 251 [3-37] of the digital version I have. It is a basic engineering principle ... "things go back in where they came from").

Personally, I'd agree with you if you had said, "it's no big thing to lose sleep over if you don't" (we all make mistakes) ... but it's better that folks at least know what good practice is first, and establish good habits (and RTFM), rather than encourage them to be sloppy. Because another day it may well matter.

Good practice, yes, but it's nowhere to be found in the '94 H-D service manual I have (I just looked-again). I guess if it WAS that critical, I'd be boned if I put new lifters in the existing lifter blocks, even though I've done just that a half dozen times to this motor.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:06 PM
Big Member
Banned

I will accept that. The digital one I have is from 1999, and I was too lazy to get up and dig out the old paper one to check.

But, no, it's not the same as when putting in new parts.

When putting back worn parts you have two potentially worn elements that have worn together; one might have worn loose, another still be tight etc.

When putting in new parts, other protocols apply, e.g. measuring tolerances, looking for surface damage and wear, cleaning up rough surfaces etc.

I am sure the instructions/manuals say that too.

One would hope that new parts were perfectly to spec ... but we all know that does not always happen, especially at the cheapo of the market.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 844 Likes on 453 Posts

What would I know about it, I've only been fixing Harleys for 35 years....the wear in low-mileage used lifters is insignificant and as I said earlier, you can put new ones into used lifter blocks...yes things do go back where they came from BUT!!!! he was asking about fitting used lifters from another bike....in which case it doesn't matter where they go....if you are going to challenge people on here you really oughta stick to the question that is actually being asked....

Quick Reply: Lifter Question