EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Lifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Big Member
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty of guys have perfected their bad habits after 35 years of practise ...

My advice was stick with what he had (the devil you know), and then I explained the principles why.

In order of preference, what would have been your call?

His lifters, unknown lifters ... or, as I think he went and did, new lifters? I would re-cycled used parts, but he did not seem to know anything about their provenance.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 844 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Member
Plenty of guys have perfected their bad habits after 35 years of practise ...

My advice was stick with what he had (the devil you know), and then I explained the principles why.

In order of preference, what would have been your call?

His lifters, unknown lifters ... or, as I think he went and did, new lifters? I would re-cycled used parts, but he did not seem to know anything about their provenance.

If you read all my posts on the subject you won't need to make yourself look good by asking me dumbass questions........I answered in full with everything he needs to know in relation to the question he asked and more...now stop being an A-grade jerk-off, nobody is impressed...

Old 01-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Big Member
Banned

Hmmn ... I am sorry but the logic of your argument, re the new blocks, was misleading or incorrect.

I think it's better that people understand the underlying principles, and good practises first, and then learn how and where to bend them.

Have you worked under anyone ... or do you train people up?

Old 01-01-2016, 09:06 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Member
Hmmn ... I am sorry but the logic of your argument, re the new blocks, was misleading or incorrect.

I think it's better that people understand the underlying principles, and good practises first, and then learn how and where to bend them.

Have you worked under anyone ... or do you train people up?
Spanners never said anything about new blocks except that you usually don't use them.

He already gave the good practice in post 6.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:36 PM
apples402
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I was going to just watch this and the pistons thread with you (Luke, big member or whatever) debating or arguing with anything John or Spanners say. I will not chime in on your engineering, reasoning or logic but will say this, 2 years ago I did something bad to my motor....my fault. Spanners and John and the rest of the evo board helped me through the repairs and I did not feel judged or ridiculed, the advice was sound and best of all guess what it cost me?...........yup nothing. I do not post much but will defend these guys' honor and integrity, I don't know where you get off coming in and accusing John of anything, I have never seen him even solicit work for the shop on this forum, why would he or Spanners continue to post here? Maybe just maybe they are good guys who truly want to help, do you? just sayin....

Old 01-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by apples402
I was going to just watch this and the pistons thread with you (Luke, big member or whatever) debating or arguing with anything John or Spanners say. I will not chime in on your engineering, reasoning or logic but will say this, 2 years ago I did something bad to my motor....my fault. Spanners and John and the rest of the evo board helped me through the repairs and I did not feel judged or ridiculed, the advice was sound and best of all guess what it cost me?...........yup nothing. I do not post much but will defend these guys' honor and integrity, I don't know where you get off coming in and accusing John of anything, I have never seen him even solicit work for the shop on this forum, why would he or Spanners continue to post here? Maybe just maybe they are good guys who truly want to help, do you? just sayin....
Cheers Apples, you're one of the good guys....

Old 01-01-2016, 11:46 PM
apples402
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

thanks spanners. Ironically just as I read the post about being a good guy, a young lady in the bar called me an old pervert.....huh???maybe I shouldn't lick my eyebrows anymore?

Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

thanks spanners. Ironically just as I read the post about being a good guy, a young lady in the bar called me an old pervert.....huh???maybe I shouldn't lick my eyebrows anymore?
Well, I wouldn't judge for you looking at hot chicks......

Old 01-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Big Member
Banned

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
He already gave the good practice in post 6.
"it doesn't matter" does not help anyone understand why or when "it doesn't matter", and it is not good practise. It's practical in this case, as I said ... but it's not good practise.

Unless you understand the difference, you should not say that. It's not about BGFs.
I was going to just watch this and the pistons thread with you (Luke, big member or whatever) debating or arguing with anything John or Spanners say. I will not chime in on your engineering, reasoning or logic but will say this ....
I don't doubt that and I was not questioning it - everyone has some virtue just as every one screws up at some point, and every one get pulled up at some point. But, as I said before, I've seen plenty of guys with 35 years experience or more do and talk and try to feed others absolutely s****. In fact, it tends to be when you pull them up over, even innocently, that s**** exploded everywhere because their egos cannot cope with it.

As we all know, habits become ingrained and old guys with a sense of self importance are often the worst at that ... and there's a lot of floating around the H-D world.

I've been a consumer. I've been on the other side of the counter. I can see and pick people up on the subtlies, and I know how it goes. It's all just 99% ego. And 'egg shell' ones at that. I'm sick of it.

Why is it if you pick these people up on a single tiny thing they blow up to be an attack on their entire person ... or even nation?

My response to Spanners was my best Mr Spock impersonation (Leonard Nimoy died last year and I was thinking of him). In logic, there's a classical term for it. It's called "argument from authority". For "logical fallacy" insert 'bad consumer decision'.
Argument from authority or appeal to authority ...

A common form of argument which leads to a logical fallacy when used in scientific reasoning used to dismiss evidence even though authorities can come to wrong judgments through error, bias, dishonesty, or fall prey to groupthink.

An appeal to authority is not a generally reliable argument for establishing facts, as the truth or falsehood and reasonableness or unreasonableness of a belief is independent of the people who accept or reject it.
"We've always done it that way" ... is another perfect example (which killed many a motorcycle company, and almost did H-D).

Last edited by Big Member; 01-02-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:35 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,663 Posts

When the young ones can you an old pervert, you know you are doing it right.

Quick Reply: Lifter Question