pistons

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 02:03 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,460 Likes on 3,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
Yes, cast would do fine.

I was thinking being set for the next step up when the bug bites.

Been reading too many 98hotrodfatboy posts.
Aw schux, schex.....Obviously the bug bit you as well. Explains the111"er.....ain't it sweet...lol

Old 01-01-2016, 03:16 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks again John, very much appreciated, Crystal Clear except for putting something on the base gaskets.
Thanks for all your input and time.....

Old 01-01-2016, 03:53 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Aw schux, schex.....Obviously the bug bit you as well. Explains the111"er.....ain't it sweet...lol
Been ate up with it as long as I can remember,
I think the only thing I own that hasn't been fugged with is the leaf blower,,wait,,, yea the leaf blower is totally stock.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:40 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Been ate up with it as long as I can remember,
I think the only thing I own that hasn't been fugged with is the leaf blower,,wait,,, yea the leaf blower is totally stock.
I take it your hero is Tim Allen???
I remember one episode where he hooked up a chevy 350 to a garbage disposal!!!!

Old 01-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Big Member
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
you need ...
It's a shame you could not post without barbing it with insults, distractions and avoiding the substantive issues, John.

My response ... who do think make the V-Factor pistons Mid-USA sell, and why "need"? Did we established he actually needs them? You're taking out some German Malhes good enough to do 100,000 miles, and sticking in some Taiwanese items, as I mentioned above ... but at what price?

You're starting with a sloppy job, and then apply some expensive bandaids afterwards, just as I predicted ... "buy the Mikuni ... buy the ignition" ... at what price?

I'd say, "do the first part of the job properly and it'll make more power and run better all round". You may not need bandaid A and B, and you'll certainly beat them on the dyno. (John was honest about that).

As stripping, bore and cutting and reassembly (gaskets) are costly and time consuming ventures, Glide, or any other buyer, needs sit down and make two tables of alternative costs; and not be sucked into panic buying or slick sales.

The stripping, bore and cutting and reassembly are going to be the same; so what difference the 'budget bandaid tune', and the 'high quality tune'? I would say even an average rider could tell the difference in feel and performance.

There's no cut and paste in anything I've written. That's just more FUD salesmanship.

The way it works is that the EV27 is such a good money shot on its own, shops can get away without having done anything else (properly or skillfully) and still appear like miracle workers. Ditto bolting on a Mikuni.

• Don't buy anything until you know (you or someone has measured) what you've got.

--

On a happier note, I was looking at some of the available tooling suitable for home or enthusiast use and came across Lindy In-Head Piston Cutters. Remember what I wrote about fixing up a cutter using an old valve, or using clamps off a counter sinker to measure/machine the lift accurately enough ... well, an old school hotrodder has put it all together for you already. I really like their stuff (given we're using the same 5/16" valve stems, there's loads of stuff out there from the auto world).

By using the valve guides in the head as a jig, you can cut or enlarge your piston pockets exactly where you need them. Anyone who can hold a drill, could do it.

Last edited by Big Member; 01-01-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:01 PM
Big Member
Banned

Hey, I've got a really good hack that turns a leaf blower into a directional bike dryer ...! Keep your eyes open for an old broken vacuum cleaner with its hose still attached.

I am sure you can 2+2 the two together. All you need are the usual roll of duct tape and some rivets.

Or you can buy a Harley branded from John at $450.

Last edited by Big Member; 01-01-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:19 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 845 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Member
Hey, I've got a really good hack that turns a leaf blower into a directional bike dryer ...! Keep your eyes open for an old broken vacuum cleaner with its hose still attached.

I am sure you can 2+2 the two together. All you need are the usual roll of duct tape and some rivets.

Or you can buy a Harley branded from John at $450.
1: John wouldn't sell you Harley Branded crap you don't need....

2: I would tell you how much of a good bastard John is but I don't want to embarrass him on the forum....he TOTALLY KNOWS HIS ****!!!!

3: Stop being such a Big Dick...you ain't making any friends on here...just sayin'....

Old 01-01-2016, 05:37 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,855 Likes on 3,021 Posts

you posted this luckey luke

It's a shame you could not post without barbing it with insults, distractions and avoiding the substantive issues, John.

that is actually what the gogo broads say about my texts

Old 01-01-2016, 06:10 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Hope this ******* gets banned. Luke, unless you're a well known wrench (prove it now) buzz off!

Old 01-02-2016, 09:20 AM
Big Member
Banned

If it's a choice between accuracy and consumer commonsense, or joining you guys' circle jerk ... I'll take - and promote - accuracy and consumer commonsense. I've never sucked 50 or 60 year old d*** and I'm unlikely to start now.

I didn't start by lowering the conversation to name calling. I merely questioned some technical inaccuracy, or ommission.

It seems some people can't cope with that and prefer to make a grand kerfuffle, turning things into a personal issue which only distracts from more valuable conversation.

It turns out it was nothing to do with the clearances per se, nor scenario the original poster is/was concerned about (thinking about it, perhaps it more to do with issues relating to the quality of the early lifters ... which, if the OP also still has them, we would be better off discussing and bring into the equation at this point too).

See, I'm still thinking of the OP while you are thinking of your own selves and egos and turning this into a drama.

Spanners, have you actually followed this discussion from the beginning, or have you just joined now to fluff John up and give him a hand? Because I don't see any value in your contribution.

OK, back to the serious stuff ... what to spend, and how to make the best decision of how and where to spend it in order to get the best return. If you don't have a good plan from the beginning, it's easy to make bad decisions which will end up costing you more, to miss good opportunitues, or even lead you in a black hole.

Like I said, as the cost of the required services and consumables are the same and considerable which ever path you choose, it's worth making a couple of list, or sticking them into a simple one column spreadsheet, and seeing how they stack up.

On one hand, the cost between a 'pedestrian job', as John is suggesting, and a really good one may actually not be any different, or at least so little different that it would be pushing for; and, on the other hand, if you want to stick with a 'pedestrian job', then it should be possible to achieve it more cheaply ... without lining yourself for lost opportunities or even greater expenses later.

Those are the facts. They may not endear me to the circle jerk ... but they are based on good logic and methodology.

Quick Reply: pistons