EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How do you trust a clutch cable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 11:34 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How do you trust a clutch cable?

So, when do you decide to replace an otherwise good clutch cable? Same with throttle cables? Just as preventative maintenance do you replace these?

Old 12-17-2015, 11:53 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 669 Posts

When they break or when the cable itself starts to look worn

Old 12-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,911 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Or gets hard to pull. They tend to break at the ends, usually the grip lever end for a clutch cable.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:40 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Anybody have a good recommendation for lubing the clutch cables? I have a tool I used for the throttle cables. But the clutch cable being bigger it will not work for that. I was also concerned about possible contamination of the trans fluid, if the lube used came out the cable end inside the trans.

I installed a new clutch cable last spring without adding any lube. I have a feeling it will come back to bit me if I don't do anything before next spring.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:49 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Just take the cable loose from the lever and put a few drops of Harley Lube on it. Harley lube is what my dealer uses on all cables and it comes in a nice little tube with a needle tip.

Last edited by 89FLHTC; 12-17-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,414 Likes on 5,014 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
I installed a new clutch cable last spring without adding any lube. I have a feeling it will come back to bit me if I don't do anything before next spring.
Some clutch cables do not get lubed. Barnett says not to lube their cables that have the teflon inner liner. I`ve had one of those on my bike for about 6 years now, no issues, but come to think of it, the original cable never got lubed and worked fine for 26 years. I only replaced it because it was so old...

Old 12-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,764 Likes on 2,016 Posts

I replace my cables when the hole in the "loop" end of the cable (at the clutch lever end) gets worn to an "egg" shape, making it hard to adjust the slack.

To lube the cable, I disconnect the cable, make a "funnel" of stiff paper and duct tape around the end of the cable housing, then pour about a tablespoon of transmission oil down the inside of the cable and let it sit while I do the rest of the 5K service.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 12-18-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I replaced my clutch cable a few years ago, after installing my S&S engine and stronger clutch spring. Darned clutch was a bit too heavy, so I looked at ways of reducing the strain on my wrist. A Clutchlite was just too critical on adjustment to be a suitable solution and I removed the cable to clean and lube it. It still wasn't very smooth, so I bought a Diamondback. What a transformation! Smoother and lighter and a great improvement.

As part of Hyacinth's extensive refurbishment (yes, I am making progress!) I have installed an AMP Ez-pull device at the clutch lever, which I hope will further reduce lever pull, for my creakin' ole wrist. Be aware that AMP has changed hands recently and have stopped making these, so if you fancy one move pdq, to pick up remaining stock. I bought mine on US Ebay.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:06 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,911 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Be careful with those ezpull things. I put one on the sportster, which installed on the throw out bearing end, and it burned up a clutch pack. There is not free lunch. They make the clutch pull easier because they don't move the clutch disengagement as much for a given lever pull.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Dr H, unfortunately there is a confusing array of 'EZ' stuff! The AMP thingy I have is a wart installed on the handlebar lever, not the clutch end. I agree entirely about the Clutchlite and others that fit at the business end, as they reduce clutch lift and can cause problems, not least simply getting adjustment correct.

Quick Reply: How do you trust a clutch cable?