EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Putting bike away for the winter.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015 | 10:28 PM
Ozark Joe
|
Road Warrior
Default Putting bike away for the winter.

Unfortunately due to the brake issue and lack of money with X-Mas coming up. I decided to heed everyone's advice and leave the bike in the garage for the winter. Kinda a pain in the *** cause its still ok weather right now for riding during the day. (Kinda annoyed I get the thing a few days ago, rode it only twice and now have to wait 2-4 months to ride again. Sorry for this ranting part.)

Anyhow getting to the point,someone mentioned I needed a battery tender to keep the battery alive thru the winter. I don't have one but have a 10/6/2 amp charger(its the Schumacher XC10 Walmart special). Is the good enough to pass or is the fact the trickle settings being 2 amp too much?

Also any tips on winterization would be helpful.

Old 11-06-2015 | 11:54 PM
envenum
1st Gear

any trickle charger will work as long as it has a float mode for when the battery is fully charged so that it doesn't over charge it. I recommend putting fuel stabile in the gas tank not one to keep the gas from fouling but what people don't understand is when gas fouls it eats away at your pump. if you are close to needing an oil change its best to go ahead and change all of them old oil is not good to just sit and could have water trapped in it. Also cover both exhausts to help keep mice from building nice homes.

Old 11-07-2015 | 02:59 AM
Ozark Joe
|
Road Warrior

Shouldn't the battery be disconnected while on the maintenance charger?

Old 11-07-2015 | 07:16 AM
envenum
1st Gear

It doesnt have to be. Only reason to disconnect is in event battery is overcharged. If fender had a float mode it won't matter.

Old 11-07-2015 | 07:32 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
Shouldn't the battery be disconnected while on the maintenance charger?
Battery tenders are quite inexpensive and when the included harness is installed on the battery, your battery can be conveniently left in the bike. A lot of riders who have these, plug em in whenever they're not riding. This habit is reported to extend battery life and whether or not this is strictly true,,, why not ?

Yuasa has quit making the YUA1201501. You may still find one on sale and they're excellent 5 phase units.

Old 11-07-2015 | 08:05 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

http://www.batterychargers.com/xc10/

If this is the one you have ,ya should be OK. Shows to have a float mode

That said I keep a small maintainer charger
Battery tender junior I believe. We ride most year round here so not used often , but has served me well. 3 bikes.
Ya can get them online pretty reasonable.

WP

Old 11-07-2015 | 09:15 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Joe unless you are absolutely sure your charger has a float mode then I suggest you pull the battery so that if your charger doesn't have a float mode and proceeds to blow up your battery from over charging it won't hurt anything else when it goes.

Or you could play it safe and get a battery tender like I told you in the first place.

Old 11-07-2015 | 09:53 AM
Schex
Supporter
Supporter

If you know the bike won't move for months, it only take a few minutes to at least disconnect the negative cable, eliminating any parasitic draw, and guarantee no damage to any electrical components.

Old 11-07-2015 | 11:03 AM
Ozark Joe
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Joe unless you are absolutely sure your charger has a float mode then I suggest you pull the battery so that if your charger doesn't have a float mode and proceeds to blow up your battery from over charging it won't hurt anything else when it goes.

Or you could play it safe and get a battery tender like I told you in the first place.
I understand what you said but cause I'm going to be already out a a half month pay cause the twisted foot, I'll have to make use with what I have. Since everyone said the charger I have does got a float mode I think it will be safe. The only thing concerned me is the last time I wintered a bike battery with that charger it was dead and dried out by the time spring came around. That could have been caused by not doing or not doing thing I should or shouldn't have done. All I did was left it the whole time on the charger.

Old 11-07-2015 | 11:10 AM
89FLHTC
Supporter

Put some brake pads on that thing and ride it!

Quick Reply: Putting bike away for the winter.