EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Putting bike away for the winter.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015 | 11:18 AM
Ozark Joe
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 89FLHTC
Put some brake pads on that thing and ride it!
If I had the money right now I would but I won't have it till Jan by the minimum. Unless someone slips me a temporary used set I ain't going no where. Hell,I don't think it safe to run it with just the left side working.

Old 11-07-2015 | 11:22 AM
89FLHTC
Supporter

Yeah I wouldn't run it with just one caliper working. I thought it looked like you just needed brake pads. They are cheap on eBay . If it has other problems, I guess it could get expensive .

Old 11-07-2015 | 11:24 AM
Ozark Joe
|
Road Warrior

Yeah I wouldn't run it with just one caliper working. I thought it looked like you just needed brake pads. They are cheap on eBay . If it has other problems, I guess it could get expensive .
It does only need pads unless another prob exist I wasn't aware of. I won't know for certain till I get the pads put on.

Old 11-07-2015 | 11:54 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
I understand what you said but cause I'm going to be already out a a half month pay cause the twisted foot, I'll have to make use with what I have. Since everyone said the charger I have does got a float mode I think it will be safe. The only thing concerned me is the last time I wintered a bike battery with that charger it was dead and dried out by the time spring came around. That could have been caused by not doing or not doing thing I should or shouldn't have done. All I did was left it the whole time on the charger.
Then I don't think that charger has a float mode.
It sounds like it kept trying to charge you battery and boiled off all the acid.

If you really want to use what you got I'd suggest you take out the battery and once a month put it on the 2 amp charge for an hour or two then disconnect it from the charger.

Just a suggestion.

Old 11-07-2015 | 01:47 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter

I use the cheapie Battery Tender Jr. from Walmart for $25.00 and it works great.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Te...arger/15779492

Old 11-07-2015 | 02:32 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

I use the cheapie Battery Tender Jr. from Walmart for $25.00 and it works great.
Those do very well and won't cook a battery

WP

Old 11-07-2015 | 02:44 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

I've been using a similar one of these from Walmart for years. I plug in each time I'm done riding. Calamity Joe it sounds like your other one doesn't have float mode if it cooked the battery.

For sure you need to get Sta-Bil and put it in the gas and I'd run the engine for a while to get some stabilized gas into the carb.

Old 11-07-2015 | 05:11 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

If I had the money right now I would but I won't have it till Jan by the minimum. Unless someone slips me a temporary used set I ain't going no where. Hell,I don't think it safe to run it with just the left side working.
If it would help, PM me your address and I'll send you the front pads off of my EG. It's going to be up on the stand for a while, and they are getting replaced anyway.

No promises about how much meat is left on them, but the fronts were working when I put her up.

Old 11-07-2015 | 06:41 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

...,someone mentioned I needed a battery tender to keep the battery alive thru the winter. I don't have one but have a 10/6/2 amp charger(its the Schumacher XC10 Walmart special). Is the good enough to pass or is the fact the trickle settings being 2 amp too much?

Also any tips on winterization would be helpful.
That charger isn't the best for leaving connected to the battery. You can use it to keep the charge on the battery by setting a schedule for plugging it in. If your battery is fairly new, I'd just slap the charger on it every 3-4 weeks. Otherwise get a BatteryTender. Those are designed to keep plugged in.

How do you store the bike? Inside a heated garage? Under a carport? I would try to keep the tires off the concrete/gravel/dirt. But if you can't you can't. Trust me, in the 22 years I've owned my HD, I've winterized it several different ways. And then a couple of years, I just parked it. Didn't seem to matter one way or the other.

Old 11-07-2015 | 06:50 PM
EZRider76
Cruiser
From: Aspen, Colorado-living in a trailer, 4 part time jobs & a 15 yr old HD

For sure you need to get Sta-Bil and put it in the gas and I'd run the engine for a while to get some stabilized gas into the carb.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that...mine's going into storage til May (Colorado Rockies)

Quick Reply: Putting bike away for the winter.