EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Charging problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015 | 08:13 PM
Dgaroutte
|
Advanced
Default Charging problems

Here is another charging problem that I need some advice on. 1997 Ultra Classic EFI stock. Even when the the battery is fully charged, I press the start button and get a click, usually the second or third push and she fires right up. After it has been started and warm first push and it fires. This has been an ongoing problem. The bike sat for about six weeks while I was in the states. I charged the battery to 12.8 volts, hit the start button a few times, fired up, but the bikes volt meter was reading 10. volts. The bikes voltmeter also reads 10. when the key is switched to on. I put my voltmeter across the battery and it read 12.7 volts, but 11.9 when the bike is running. I followed the sticky above and checked the stator first. It was not grounded and across the two terminals was .5. As I started the bike, the VAC was 9.6 at 1000 rpm at the stator connector. Does this verify that my stator is bad? I have a serious mental block when it comes to electrical problems, so I am hoping someone can shed light on the starting and charging problem. In addition, There were no problems prior to it sitting and I did clean all of the connections and ground wires and also did the same test with another fully charged battery. Thanks in advance--David

Old 10-20-2015 | 08:29 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Im not great at explaining this stuff but i just went through this . all the info is in this thread

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...d-battery.html

Good Luck

Dave

Old 10-20-2015 | 10:17 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Dgaroutte
Here is another charging problem that I need some advice on. 1997 Ultra Classic EFI stock. Even when the the battery is fully charged, I press the start button and get a click, usually the second or third push and she fires right up. After it has been started and warm first push and it fires. This has been an ongoing problem. The bike sat for about six weeks while I was in the states. I charged the battery to 12.8 volts, hit the start button a few times, fired up, but the bikes volt meter was reading 10. volts. The bikes voltmeter also reads 10. when the key is switched to on. I put my voltmeter across the battery and it read 12.7 volts, but 11.9 when the bike is running. I followed the sticky above and checked the stator first. It was not grounded and across the two terminals was .5. As I started the bike, the VAC was 9.6 at 1000 rpm at the stator connector. Does this verify that my stator is bad? I have a serious mental block when it comes to electrical problems, so I am hoping someone can shed light on the starting and charging problem. In addition, There were no problems prior to it sitting and I did clean all of the connections and ground wires and also did the same test with another fully charged battery. Thanks in advance--David
1 Paragraphs are your friend.
2 Sounds like you need to replace the charging system.

Old 10-21-2015 | 06:45 PM
Dgaroutte
|
Advanced

It's funny being told to use paragraphs because my daytime job is an English teacher. I should practice what I teach.
I figured I would need to replace my charging system. When I purchased the bike I got boxes upon boxes of parts. Included was a brand new charging system, regulator, stator and rotor. The reason I didn't install it was it doesn't appear as heavy duty as the original. Also, there are no identifying marks on it and there weren't any boxes, just wrapped in the original sealed plastic and packed in a generic box.
The PO said that all of the parts were ordered for an Ultra Classic Evo. Is there anyway to tell what I've got?

Old 10-21-2015 | 06:53 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

It's funny being told to use paragraphs because my daytime job is an English teacher. I should practice what I teach.
I figured I would need to replace my charging system. When I purchased the bike I got boxes upon boxes of parts. Included was a brand new charging system, regulator, stator and rotor. The reason I didn't install it was it doesn't appear as heavy duty as the original. Also, there are no identifying marks on it and there weren't any boxes, just wrapped in the original sealed plastic and packed in a generic box.
The PO said that all of the parts were ordered for an Ultra Classic Evo. Is there anyway to tell what I've got?
Got any pictures of the parts?

If it were me and I couldn't figure out where something came from then I wouldn't use it. I've had too many generic parts fail very quickly to even bother with them anymore.

FWIW I didn't tell you to use paragraphs I said they were your friend.
It is hard to follow a large block of text with all the facts jammed together.

Old 10-21-2015 | 07:08 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Is 9.6VAC all you get out of the stator? That is, if you have your helper rev it to 2500, are you getting 25-ish volts or something else? Your regulator needs to go, now if the stator and or rotor are bad is the question.

Old 10-21-2015 | 07:45 PM
Dgaroutte
|
Advanced

When I get off work today I will get my helper (wife) out to rev it up and see what happens. I'll also take some pictures of the parts and post them tomorrow. I have a feeling they came off of a known auction site.

Also, can someone shed some light on the clicking when I try to start it? It usually takes two or three times pushing the start button before it fires. The funny thing is that my Suzuki 125cc step through has started the same thing. Could this possibly be a relay problem?

I appreciate everyone's help here. Thanks

Old 10-21-2015 | 08:14 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

When I get off work today I will get my helper (wife) out to rev it up and see what happens. I'll also take some pictures of the parts and post them tomorrow. I have a feeling they came off of a known auction site.

Also, can someone shed some light on the clicking when I try to start it? It usually takes two or three times pushing the start button before it fires. The funny thing is that my Suzuki 125cc step through has started the same thing. Could this possibly be a relay problem?

I appreciate everyone's help here. Thanks
The possibility exists and it's real easy to check.
A new relay is about $6 if you just want to swap one out to see what happens.

Old 10-21-2015 | 08:54 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

If you have charging system issues, all other clicks are not to be concerned with. Get the thing charging first and the battery topped off. Then start worrying about The Dreaded Click.

Old 10-21-2015 | 09:30 PM
Harley-Davidson
Cruiser

Also, can someone shed some light on the clicking when I try to start it? It usually takes two or three times pushing the start button before it fires.
I assume you mean it clicks a few times before it will crank. Your '97 has a Nippondenso starter with the starter selenoid built into it. My '86 has a separate selenoid from the starter. But they work the same way.

Remove the starter and remove the cover on the selenoid chamber (below the motor) and you'll find two contact studs in there and a copper disc on a plunger that makes contact with the studs. You're going to find the motor side stud burned away due to arcing when it makes contact. So the disc moves but doesn't make good enough contact with the stud to turn on the power to the starter motor. It clicks right now and after several tries ***** the disc a bit and makes contact. But it won't after awhile because the arcing gets worse as the disc and stud head burns away.

H-D sells a starter repair kit for the Nip starter, part# 31604-91 that has a new plunger, studs and gasket for the selenoid chamber.

Quick Reply: Charging problems