EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Charging problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015 | 06:57 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Dgaroutte
You may not agree with my method but I think everyone will agree on the outcome. I took everything apart and re-inspected and saw that a magnet was missing on the rotor. I spent 3 hours carefully trying to get the stator plug through the block before it tore. I knew that the old stator was not grounded and was producing some volts. So as not to be defeated I reinstalled it, added the new rotor buttoned it up. Everything tested to specs. I just returned from a ride down the coast in this 70 degree weather. Thanks to everyone!
Glad it all worked out!

That stator plug can be tough, and that is the reason I recommended the castor oil. It really does work better than just plain old oil or grease. Another product that works really well is this:

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...sealant-detail

I know it does not help you now, but maybe it will help out others. It can be picked up at Orielly's, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. The last stator plug I did, I used the permatex sealant on the rubber plug and it slid in easier than the castor oil. It is a urethane sealant that does not set up. It thickens a little out of the tube, but stays tacky and soft. Great gasket dressing and thread sealant as well. I used it to help prevent any leaking at the plug like the one I replaced and discovered it really may the plug install super easy.

I used a sealed rotor on my sporty and as far as charging goes, I could not tell a difference. I like the sealed rotors. No concerns over slipped magnets tearing things up. Again, glad your up and running. YD

Old 10-25-2015 | 07:50 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dgaroutte
I took everything apart and re-inspected and saw that a magnet was missing on the rotor.
Did you find the missing magnet?

Old 10-25-2015 | 08:16 PM
Dgaroutte
|
Advanced

I found the magnet. I tried every lube I could think of--that d@&$ plug would not go through the block. I looked at youtube and searched the internet and tried every trick--it wouldn't fit. I bought the bike almost three years ago and who knows when the stator and rotor were purchased. The bike sat for about eight years before I bought it. Maybe the rubber got hard. All I know is that it wouldn't fit. So far everything is working. I started her again this morning before I went to work.