EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ol Betsy takes a leak Part II

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015 | 07:54 PM
Baccerman
|
Intermediate
Default Ol Betsy takes a leak Part II

Got my 95 FLH back from the dealer shop last week from having a transmission fluid leak fixed. The tech said it was definitely the shifter shaft. $250 some odd bucks later she was supposedly fixed.
Rode the bike about an hour today (first chance since getting her home due to monsoon). She is leaking more than before. Trans fluid on inner primary below rear pulley.
My opinion is that the trans output seal or the seal between the inner and outer shaft is leaking.
My thought is that all of that should have been checked and probably replaced as a matter of course while everything in the primary was apart. I waited practically all summer to get this done (shop busy) and it rips me to think I may have to sit out the fall mountain ride we do this time of year.
I'm taking it back tomorrow or Thursday and getting them to look at it. I feel that they owe me to fix it properly, and promptly. I don't mind paying for additional seals etc and some additional labor but I definitely don't think I should pay the whole tab for the teardown and reassembly and dont think I should have to get at the back of the line again. Just asking them to make it right.
I am a regular customer and bought a new bike (Dyna Low) from them in June. Am I being unreasonable?

Old 10-06-2015 | 08:19 PM
Saskrider
Intermediate

To me, I have no problem spending the necessary cash to have an item fixed properly, anything substandard pisses me off, you have every right to the proper fix, not on your dime, another item that would bother me is the amount of oil that ended up on the drive belt, the oil on the belt will collect dust, road grime etc..and shorten it's life.

Old 10-06-2015 | 09:07 PM
Baccerman
|
Intermediate

Believe it or not there is no sign of oil on belt guard or belt. Oil is leaking down back of pulley area on trans case. Cant see any leak from shifter shaft with scope. Not a lot but is does leave its spot after getting warm from a ride.
I'm sure they will do the right thing. I would have had no problem whatever they would have replaced while they had her apart. Funny thing was that they stressed that all seals would be replaced while in there. No mention of output seal or square seal on parts list. No charge for primary or trans fluid, evidently they saved and reused fluid.
Will get this sorted out. I hate to buy tools to change out output shaft seals etc but will do it before I pay again for what should have been done. Rear pully should have been removed and both seals replaced.
Will know more tomorrow or Thursday. Glad I paid with my credit card...

Old 10-06-2015 | 09:24 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Your not being unreasonable at all. If it's only a drip do the ride . I know what you mean about fall riding. Nothing like it. But before you do anything take a minute to see where the fluid level is... Good luck man...

Old 10-07-2015 | 09:15 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

$250 seems like a pretty small charge for removing the primary and replacing a bunch of seals/gaskets like they said they would. My guess is that they didn't get in there like they should have and yeah I think they should have pulled the pulley off as well.

Carl

Old 10-07-2015 | 10:36 AM
whiskey girl
Tourer

You're not being unreasonable. They were paid to do a job and should do it right. Call them up, explain the problem and get a hard number on the time frame to fix it. If it's not leaking bad, go on the ride and have it taken care of when you get back.

Old 10-07-2015 | 07:25 PM
Baccerman
|
Intermediate
Smile

Hi y'all
Took my 95 FLH back to my dealer's shop. Showed leak to service manager.
I'll have to admit they stood tall and agreed to redo the job this week.
Tech said that he didnt replace output shaft seal because he was sure that only leak was at shifter shaft seal. Trouble was that oil from shifter seal and final drive seal ends up in same place when it leaks.
I offered to pay for new parts (gaskets etc) if they would eat the tear-down and assembly labor. Service manager said he would take care of it, that 25 years as a customer meant something to the company.
Top tech in company is scheduled to get on it Friday AM.
More than I could ask for. Probably helps that I just bought a new bike a couple of months ago and a couple of the guys are lodge brothers with me.
Ill take it any day after some of the stories I've read here.
PS Mountain ride aint happening because of work/family stuff. Put it off a couple weeks until things sort out'

Old 10-13-2015 | 07:34 PM
Baccerman
|
Intermediate

Update:
Took my fiber optic camera to the shop. Looked up behind trans sprocket.. there was the leak. (Harbor Fright owes me commission on sale of several cameras..all the techs want one)
What happened was the race walked down the shaft toward the trans and ate the output shaft seal. Had to split it because they couldn't get the tool to fit past the race to pull it off the shaft.
Paying additional parts and labor just to replace race and seal. They are eating assembly and reassembly of primary and contents and gaskets, etc.
She'll be ready Thursday. Asked the tech to ride her home to lunch (7-8 miles) to make sure she stays dry when the motor and trans get hot.

Last edited by Baccerman; 10-13-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2015 | 07:45 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Baccerman
Update:
Took my fiber optic camera to the shop. Looked up behind trans sprocket.. there was the leak. (Harbor Fright owes me commission on sale of several cameras..all the techs want one)
What happened was the race walked down the shaft toward the trans and ate the output shaft seal. Had to split it because they couldn't get the tool to fit past the race to pull it off the shaft.
Paying additional parts and labor just to replace race and seal. They are eating assembly and reassembly of primary and contents and gaskets, etc.
She'll be ready Thursday. Asked the tech to ride her home to lunch (7-8 miles) to make sure she stays dry when the motor and trans get hot.
Good to hear some businesses stand behind their service. Good for you man...

Old 10-13-2015 | 07:52 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

That is what has happened on my bike... I'm not in any hurry to fix it because I don't want to cut the old race off, OR, take off the nylex nut on the mainshaft and tap the mainshaft out a little to get the tool on there to pull it off. I don't mind the drips...

Quick Reply: Ol Betsy takes a leak Part II