EVO All Evo Model Discussion

94 dyna exhaust bracket

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 05:49 PM
ClifWideGlide
Tourer
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

I found my original one. The hole in the top rear isn't in the best of shape as it looks to have been cut too close to the edge and the bracket is compressed. I'm never going to use it as my race brace has its own bracket for the stock exhaust system. If you want it pm me and we can work it out for shipping cost.

Attached Thumbnails 94 dyna exhaust bracket-photo974.jpg   94 dyna exhaust bracket-photo207.jpg  
Old 05-06-2016, 07:39 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Reviving an old thread...this is the bracket (in the pic) that is mounted to the cam cover, and an exhaust support clamp/bracket on the header pipe is mounted to the bracket pictured in this thread.

My question is, does the exhaust support clamp (the one that kind of looks like an exhaust clamp but supports the front head pipe) get bolted on top of this bracket in the pic? Below the bracket? or in the middle?

In other words does the bracket in this thread fit in between the head pipe support clamp like a spacer or above or?

I am fixing the previous owners work and it seems with the bracket in the pic in between the support clamp (the way I found it on my bike), it causes mis-alignment of the pipes to the head by putting tension on it. It fits better for me if the clamp sits on top of the bracket in this thread. It is #16 in the diagram posted in this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...head-pipe.html

Sorry if it does not sound clear in my description...Ideally a pic of a stock front exhaust/headpipe at the support clamp and bracket would help me tremendously, but probably not to many stock exhaust systems left on dynas from 1994. YD

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 05-06-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:44 AM
darylnj
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default bracket

the bracket is in between the clamp.there is a bolt with an acorn nut the passes thru the hole in the bracket you see the nut from the top

The following users liked this post:
Yankee Dog (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 12:32 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by darylnj
the bracket is in between the clamp.there is a bolt with an acorn nut the passes thru the hole in the bracket you see the nut from the top
Thanks for the reply...unfortunately that's the way it was when I took it apart. When I install it that way, it puts tension on the pipe and causes misalignment. I have a wear mark in the pipe that shows a pretty deep groove from the misalignment over the years and the tension causes a slight leak to the front head/exhaust seal. That leak is why I took it apart to inspect.

Funny thing is, my factory manual calls for a round "spacer" to go somewhere in that bracket, however the parts diagrams I look at online show no such spacer. I can post a pic of the manual later this eve shower what they call a "spacer".

When I put the muffler clamp style bracket on the top of the cam cover bracket, everything fits together nicely. Everything mounts up at the heads, and the crossover with no tension at all. It's got me puzzled, I gues I can install and give it a try...YD

Old 05-06-2016, 05:32 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I had mine off and the only way it fit right was bracket in the middle. It was actually wrong when I bought it and putting tension on it

94 dyna exhaust bracket-photo357.jpg

Old 05-06-2016, 06:32 PM
darylnj
Cruiser
Default bracket

no spacer in my 93-94 parts manual diagram.that bike is a freak the first model. they changed some different things in 95
spoke to the motor company
1924 total fxds for 1994
483 black
79 cali black
1169 other colors
193 all colors cali

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
fxds.pdf (303.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 05-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the pic and the replies. I trusted my gut and installed it with the muffler clamp style bracket mounted on top of the cam cover bracket. In that position, everything mated up perfectly.

The pipes at the head, the crossover, and the rear mounting bracket. Everything just fit together so perfectly with no tension, no torque or tension on the pipes either. Crossover gasket was centered perfectly as well as the flanges that fit in the head.

Again everything was so neutral and fit together so well with the bracket mounted above like I described, I kept it that way. I tried multiple times to install it like in kp877's pic, but again, that put tension on the front pipe and made the crossover line up off centered and kind of wonky. I was afraid that tension would cause some leaks. I can't explain why it fits together better that way, but it is what it is. A buddy came by for a few and he agreed, go with what puts the least amount of stress on the joints.

It's all back together and I took it for a 25 mile ride. All seems good. Gonna re-torque everything after it cools, but the initial cigarette smoke test did not show any leaks. My decell popping in now just a slight burble now (cycle shacks mt-129) and that was one of the reasons I started looking for exhaust leaks in the first place.

EDIT: Darylnj, thanks for the pic. My manual is a 1993-1994 FXD factory manual and it does show a spacer. I will post the page later this eve. Interesting it is in the service manual but not in the microfiche or parts manuals. Also thanks for the numbers, I did not know they made so few of them. I enjoy the hell out of mine.

Thanks for the help! YD

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 05-06-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Here is the diagram in 1993-1994 Dyna glide manual (see #32 "spacer") :

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1994 fxds exhaust.pdf (353.3 KB, 115 views)
Old 05-07-2016, 06:14 PM
darylnj
Cruiser
Default bracket

right you are my service manual shows a spacer also, the picture i posted was from the parts manual no spacer.
my bike does not have a spacer and the bracket is not the one in the pictures.they used a couple of different brackets and set ups.
how about the rear bracket the bent piece of rod with the spacer and the crazy chrome washer take it apart and never get it back right.
i replaced mine with a solid steel bracket from a newer fxd like i said lots of first and last time parts on 94 fxds.
i love my bike also will never give it up my first and last harley.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:23 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Yes, that rear "bent rod" bracket is an interesting set up.

I did the same as you and picked up the same solid steel rear bracket at a swap meet. I went to install it when I had the pipes off just the other day, that's when I realized I needed the two double ended hex studs to mount it (instead of the bolts on there now), so back in the drawer it went. Did you pick up the studs or come up with another solution/compromise?

I priced out the studs yesterday...$15.00 for one stud? Need to see if I can source them from someplace else.

I enjoy the bike. I like how it handles with the 28 degree front rake. It just feels and handles good. I sit in it, instead of some bikes where you feel like you sit on it. I take 4 or 5 weekend trips a year, and one week long trip once a year. While they don't hold a ton of stuff, I like the quick on and off bags. Even managed to pick up an extra set of bags on craigslist last year in better shape than mine.

I also use a sissy bar bag for longer trips so not too bad. I leave the windscreen all the time but it is a replacement (same as original but thicker) from Baileys, I just like it...a lot less noise (I wear a helmet) with it on, and a lot less bugs to the face.

Again, I did not realize how few of them have been made for that year. Mine is the bright red/victory red combo. YD

Quick Reply: 94 dyna exhaust bracket