EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Props to Harley-Davidson LaCrosse, WI

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:42 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Props to Harley-Davidson LaCrosse, WI

I yanked my rear wheel off to change rear tire. Instead of changing it myself I opted to see how much to mount and balance from local shop. Called HD dealer 1st, and to my surprise only $38. I had rear tire already, not purchased from them. Dropped it off and they had it done inside the hour. I ran a couple errands and it was done, $38 out the door. Pretty cool, its on and done. Dunlop American Elite is brand I went with. Only because there's plenty of life left on the front Dunlop tire, Metzler 888's will be the next round of tires. Only had enough time to head down hwy and back a few miles, but so far so good. All total $190, $152 for tire, $38 mount and balance, and my labor. Worn tire had a weird wear pattern too. More wore on left side of tire than right, considerably. It'd been awfully squirrely lately, blamed it on an almost bald tire. It had to be misaligned. No cotter pin in axel nut either. PO had that tire put on before I bought it. So glad I went in and did this myself, now I know whats what.

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 09-17-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:17 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,422 Likes on 3,622 Posts

Curious, Did you check your rear wheel alignment? If so, what did you find?

Old 09-18-2015, 08:59 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Curious, Did you check your rear wheel alignment? If so, what did you find?
when I put wheel back on I did yes. What I found was the adjuster stud on the right side was spinning. So basically getting that side even to the belt side needed special attention. Both sides are even now. I didn't think to measure them before removing the wheel. Bike tracks true, I can ride no handed. Lol

Old 09-18-2015, 04:06 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I have flirted with alignment issues for a long time. Measure to this point or measure to that point. It always seemed to want to pull a little to the right. So I would then go to the road test and make an adjustment to the right side adjuster either front or back and would get it close but never truly on. what I've finally done to get it real close was when I had my primary totally removed I used a string to line up both front and rear pulley's and that seemed to work but it still pulled a little to the right but not all the time. So the only thing I can figure is that the crown of the road is causing the bike to veer to the right and not the actual wheel alignment.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:07 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I have flirted with alignment issues for a long time. Measure to this point or measure to that point. It always seemed to want to pull a little to the right. So I would then go to the road test and make an adjustment to the right side adjuster either front or back and would get it close but never truly on. what I've finally done to get it real close was when I had my primary totally removed I used a string to line up both front and rear pulley's and that seemed to work but it still pulled a little to the right but not all the time. So the only thing I can figure is that the crown of the road is causing the bike to veer to the right and not the actual wheel alignment.
Hard to find a truly level road. True test will come tomorrow, MN/WI flood run. Be putting on a couple hundred miles. Upgraded sound system today with a Biketronics system, Kenwood HU. That sounds pretty sweet too. It rained the whole evening so I couldn't get another test run in to check out the new tunes. Really looking FWD to getting in the wind tomorrow. Even tho I feel like I got hit by a truck right now. Took a cpl days a vacation just to put in some major work time on the Harley before the run. Worked harder at home than I do at work, just to have some serious me time tomorrow.

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 09-18-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:23 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Enjoy your run man, with the new tunes it should be sweet......