Primary leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877
Doesn't look seated to me either but it won't go in any more. I will grab a new clip either way before I do anything. The nut is on now it wasn't when I took the photo. Maybe that's why it broke the lip. I bought that clip at the dealership last year it was brand new. If I get a new clip do you think it will stay in one spot?
Before you buy a new clip run a pick around the groove to make sure there isn't something in there keeping the clip from going into place.

Even if that clip rotated I don't think it will cause a problem.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:57 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 558 Posts

Doesn't look seated to me either but it won't go in any more. I will grab a new clip either way before I do anything. The nut is on now it wasn't when I took the photo. Maybe that's why it broke the lip. I bought that clip at the dealership last year it was brand new. If I get a new clip do you think it will stay in one spot?

I would think the slot is damaged where the clip wont fit or crud in it , if you could get the clip in properly i would run it but be looking for a deal on a new one

Dave

Old 09-25-2015, 05:09 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok couple things. I've always suspected the fit of the ring but I never had an issue and bought an OEM one so assumed I was overthinking. Watch this video. The clip groove is fine it's the clip that doesn't fit tight around it. If the opening tab area of the clip is positioned over the broken hub portion, the clip pops out on one side when I pull the clutch lever. There seems to be all of the pressure pushing on the opening areas of the clip. Here's the video and a picture of what happens when I pull the clutch and the clip isn't rotated away from the broken area. I don't get it unless I got a bad retaining ring I bought 37909-90 think they are all the same

Attached Thumbnails Primary leak?-photo630.jpg  
Old 09-25-2015, 06:00 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Ok couple things. I've always suspected the fit of the ring but I never had an issue and bought an OEM one so assumed I was overthinking. Watch this video. The clip groove is fine it's the clip that doesn't fit tight around it. If the opening tab area of the clip is positioned over the broken hub portion, the clip pops out on one side when I pull the clutch lever. There seems to be all of the pressure pushing on the opening areas of the clip. Here's the video and a picture of what happens when I pull the clutch and the clip isn't rotated away from the broken area. I don't get it unless I got a bad retaining ring I bought 37909-90 think they are all the same

clip on hub video
Yeah that ain't right.
You shouldn't be able to shift the snap ring around like that.
Either you got the wrong size or you compressed it too much when you installed it.
You can try expanding it but I think getting a new one is a better idea.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:46 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Par for the course I guess. Not sure that anything has gone correctly for this bike. I bought the clip at the local HD dealer. I ordered one online in the package this time instead so maybe the dealer sold me a aftermarket one? Not sure but I'll compare them when it comes in. All the pressure is on the opening of the clip because it's not seating. I wonder if the new one doesn't seat right I could cut a small piece off the old one and have it welded to the other one to close the gap and keep it seated but I'm hoping the new one fits properly and I don't have to consider this hack.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:30 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Par for the course I guess. Not sure that anything has gone correctly for this bike. I bought the clip at the local HD dealer. I ordered one online in the package this time instead so maybe the dealer sold me a aftermarket one? Not sure but I'll compare them when it comes in. All the pressure is on the opening of the clip because it's not seating. I wonder if the new one doesn't seat right I could cut a small piece off the old one and have it welded to the other one to close the gap and keep it seated but I'm hoping the new one fits properly and I don't have to consider this hack.
Before you do that I'd suggest you put some snap ring pliers on it and instead of trying to collapse it try to expand the opening.
Maybe you can stretch the snap ring out so that it will fit.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:15 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I would put some heat on the snap ring before I tried that, because it doesn't look heat treated unless it's just galvanized. If it heat treated I wouldn't try bending it all, even with heat. You go re-arranging the grain structure of that snap ring and you may find yourself in an even bigger bind.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:33 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm going to be holding that front brake extra tight at intersections now waiting for it to pop at the worst possible time.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:21 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm going to be holding that front brake extra tight at intersections now waiting for it to pop at the worst possible time.
Might as well put a suicide clutch on it if you're that worried. You didn't loose a lot of metal there... put the right sized snap ring in it and see what happens. It will probably be fine.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:11 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
I would put some heat on the snap ring before I tried that, because it doesn't look heat treated unless it's just galvanized. If it heat treated I wouldn't try bending it all, even with heat. You go re-arranging the grain structure of that snap ring and you may find yourself in an even bigger bind.
I'm fairly certain it is made out of spring steel.

kp877 you might want to read this
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...nnealed-76439/

Quick Reply: Primary leak?