EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Primary leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:32 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877
Pulled the cover. Found this all unscrewed. Went to tighten it and the c clip popped out and something shot across the floor. It's jammed the adjuster will not go in and the cable has about two inches of slack. I have no idea what went wrong. Something broke. So f-g annoyed. I guess I have to pull the trans cover and check the clutch cable on that side? Not even sure anymore. It was shifting and running just fine. Edit... I see what shot across the floor now. The clutch piece that holds the clip in. Mother F-r I give up. Anyone want a low rider.
Typical Harley bull ****. I love mine but I'm only going to have it until I can find gainful employment again.

EDIT: What's up with your clutch anyways? That doesn't look like a stock clutch.

Last edited by tmanbuckhunter; 09-23-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:48 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Primary leak?

Its stock. I've devoted so much time into repairing this thing and it just keeps letting me down. . I just picked a bad one I guess. Riding season is almost over here I'm screwed now. I'm not buying a new hub so I don't know what the plan is. I had one and I gave it away to be nice. Karma just gave me one up the a$$ I guess.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:05 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Its stock. I've devoted so much time into repairing this thing and it just keeps letting me down. . I just picked a bad one I guess. Riding season is almost over here I'm screwed now. I'm not buying a new hub so I don't know what the plan is. I had one and I gave it away to be nice. Karma just gave me one up the a$$ I guess.
I guess it's just older. I'm with you though.. get rid of that damn thing.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:57 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Primary leak?

I really am disappointed. I am beyond ready to sell it and walk away. Try again next spring I guess if I can sell it to someone willing to buy as is.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:05 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

I really am disappointed. I am beyond ready to sell it and walk away. Try again next spring I guess if I can sell it to someone willing to buy as is.
See if you can find a take off clutch hub at a decent price... it's cheaper than the hit you'll take with the bike non-operational.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:47 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

I still don't know what's wrong. I'm thinking something let go on the trans side with the cable. I pushed the slack back in all the way and the adjuster still won't screw in.

Looking at parts made me remember the outer hub bearing was spun and I peened and green loctited it so I'm going to have to replace the inner and outer to fix it. If I press it apart and back together again it's never going to hold up.

Last edited by br549A1; 09-24-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:32 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Pulled the trans side cover. The ramp was completely jammed but once freed it's good there's nothing busted. I got it all working and it appears that the adjuster just backed out and did so fast because I went from clutch working fine to no clutch in less than five minutes. It has worked five minutes prior to it letting go.

Question is will this clip move at all and rotate and is this enough bite for it to work with the piece broken? It works sitting still but if the clip rotates around to the opening area it will pop and not work. Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Primary leak?-photo627.jpg  
Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Pulled the trans side cover. The ramp was completely jammed but once freed it's good there's nothing busted. I got it all working and it appears that the adjuster just backed out and did so fast because I went from clutch working fine to no clutch in less than five minutes. It has worked five minutes prior to it letting go.

Question is will this clip move at all and rotate and is this enough bite for it to work with the piece broken? It works sitting still but if the clip rotates around to the opening area it will pop and not work. Thoughts?

If it backed out then you didn't have the jam nut on tight enough.
That snap ring doesn't look seated between the 1 and 2 o'clock position.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:00 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If it backed out then you didn't have the jam nut on tight enough.
That snap ring doesn't look seated between the 1 and 2 o'clock position.

Ya the snap ring is not seated properly and do you have the jam nut or just not put on yet

Dave

Old 09-24-2015, 09:18 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Doesn't look seated to me either but it won't go in any more. I will grab a new clip either way before I do anything. The nut is on now it wasn't when I took the photo. Maybe that's why it broke the lip. I bought that clip at the dealership last year it was brand new. If I get a new clip do you think it will stay in one spot?

Quick Reply: Primary leak?