EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Kickstart EVO

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:11 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Kickstart EVO

Been screwed, pushed my 80 flt a number of times. OK if you get some help. My present chopper is an 80in EVO kick only. Was a bitch until broken in, is now relatively easy to start.
4 spd, S+S E carb, Crane 356B cam. Been kickin' since I was a baby. Mine is not cosmetic.

I'd like to add some of my experiences with this bike. Have observed that the 12.5v static may not be enough to give good spark on kicking a newer engine. The bike would fire first hit if pushed, but you could kick all day and not get a poof. Turns out(no pun) that the rpm required for the alt to hit 14v was just over what the kicker would provide. A better coil might have helped, but breaking in the motor has solved that. Spinning more freely provides the power to fire it up with no problem now. You do find out who your real bro's are when you ride a kick only bike.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:40 PM
mjdart
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Here you go the 1985 Evolution Engine with Kick & Electric start

Old 09-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Locutions
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get the kick'r. Had one on my '85 softail (original factory installed), tried kickin it several times with no success...not really designed for kickin with the electric start (straight from the dealer). However, if you got one your right about it lookin cool.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:35 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I never got it..but I still want it, eventually. It will be awhile though. If it wasn't a bitch to kickstart (if it'd start within 5-6 kicks) i'd probably use it all the time if I had it.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Mokey
Intermediate

I contacted a guy on ebay who had installed several of the aftermarket kickers. He said the gears are crap and that the mainshaft keeps coming unscrewed. THe fix for the aftermarket kicker on a 5 speed is buy the $200 gear from Baker and then weld the mainshaft extension on instead of bolting it. After hearing that I figured I would have at least 600 bucks in a kicker and I just can't justify that right now

Old 09-08-2007, 09:26 AM
kiwidave2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the Crane Hi4, on 'kickstart' setting, you will not go wrong when you eventually add the kicker.

With the stock ignition.......it will rarely start on the pedal.

There is a lot of Korean/Taiwanese junk in bolt-on kicker kits.

Mokey is right. Baker. You get what you pay for.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:11 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 439 Likes on 248 Posts

ORIGINAL: michaelbarry

No, I never got it..but I still want it, eventually. It will be awhile though. If it wasn't a bitch to kickstart (if it'd start within 5-6 kicks) i'd probably use it all the time if I had it.
be prepared to have very limited selection of exhaust systems that work with an EVO kickstart. The ones you have in the picture will not work, nor will any that have the "S" bend on the rear pipe (which is almost all nowadays). There are some available that will work, but they are rather plain.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:13 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 439 Likes on 248 Posts

ORIGINAL: Locutions

Did you ever get the kick'r. Had one on my '85 softail (original factory installed), tried kickin it several times with no success...not really designed for kickin with the electric start (straight from the dealer). However, if you got one your right about it lookin cool.
My 85 FXWG will start on the kicker fairly easily.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:19 AM
blackpanhead53
Advanced
Default evo kickstart

will stock ignition work on a 1997 evo with 5 speed kickstart conversion kit .1985 evo came with kickstart aren't the ignitions the same

Old 11-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Ken Oaff
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOrider
I don't swear to this since this occured 25 years ago and I am only pulling this from my memory.

I believe it was in the fall of 1983 and I was at the Ford Dealership getting something done to my truck. A guy pulled up on a Softail and he came inside.....I asked him, "Is that the new Softail?" He said, yes it was.

I left and walked by the bike.....but I would almost swear it had the Shovelhead in it. I know it had the old ugly air cleaner on it and not the round one. That was the first Softail I ever saw...but all the others were EVO's though.

Supposedly, there never were any Shovelhead Softails. Perhaps, they made just a few before they switched to the EVO. This was in late 1983, before the EVO.

I might be mistaken.....but I KNOW it had the old ugly air cleaner cover.

harley made a few pre production evos in 83, rip from easy riders magazine ended up with one of them

Harley put a lot of road miles in on the evo to get it right from day 1, unlike the twin cams that were never right

the FXR and FLT frames were designed with the evo in mind , that's way they have lots of daylight above the rocker covers to accommodate the taller evo motors

Quick Reply: Kickstart EVO