Ol' Betsy takes a leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Baccerman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ol' Betsy takes a leak

Sorry about the title...
My 1995 FLHTC has 72000 miles on the clock and has never ever marked her spot on my garage floor. A couple of weeks ago I serviced the primary chaincase by adjusting the clutch, draining and refilling as directed in the service manual. I used HD formula primary fluid.
In addition I drained and refilled the transmission with Redline shock proof just to and maybe a tiny bit over the fill line on the dipstick(measured out quantity with a ratio-rite measuring cup to factory amount.
For the last few times Iv'e ridden it, there is a small drop of oil just under the place where the inner pri is bolted to the trans case. It does not stink like gear oil and is dark looking instead of pepto bismol pink.
my thought (and hope) is that the leak is through the bolt hole where the inner case is mounted to the trans just under the pulley.
If I clean the area good and just leave the bike sitting, no leak. Only this small amount after a ride.
If it doesnt leak any more than this, would it be a good idea to keep an eye on it or would you tear into it this winter after riding season.
Could I put a small amount of seal treatment (Lucas, etc) in the primary to see if it would stop or would that possibly be harmful to the clutch plates?

Old 08-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,410 Likes on 5,011 Posts

I wouldn`t touch it until riding season was over (if even then).

If you decide to pull the inner primary, you should replace all the seals on the inner primary and the transmission while the primary is off.

On the transmission: Shifter shaft seal, big oil seal, pulley spacer, quad seal, main drive gear to mainshaft seal.

On the inner primary: Inner primary seal, starter jackshaft seal.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

It's probably just your inner primary seal.
I wouldn't worry about it myself.
Just keep an eye on the level.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Ol' Betsy takes a leak

Have tried to snug down any cover bolts in that area?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Baccerman
Intermediate

well, took a closer look after my afternoon ride. Appears it is gear oil (pink and stinks) It never leaked until I put redline in. Has anyone tried anything for this short of a teardown?
I'm afraid its my mainshaft seal. Not leaking a lot yet but will probably get worse

Old 08-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Baccerman
Intermediate

Update on 'ol Betsy

Had some time this afternoon. Got a very powerful LED worklight and one of my old dental mirrors. Got her on my lift and started looking.
Seems that the transmission case is wet with fluid just behind and below the shifter shaft. I believe that the leak is running down the side of the tranny (got to be careful how you use that term these days) and leaking under the pulley. No evidence of fluid being slung around as it would be if leaking on the back of the pulley. Belt and pulley were dry also.
Had a well-regarded indy in town look at it and he agrees.
I'll get him to do it and replace all of the seals on the transmission and inner primary while he's in there. Although I've been in the primary before, time is an issue right now and we will take it in November-December after riding season when his shop is slow and he says he can cut me a deal on labor. Believe it or not this is only the second major repair after 20 years and 71000 miles. The other was when I had to replace the swingarm last spring due to a crack. Did that myself.
I plan to retire in a couple of years and will probably do a complete restoration on her when I have the time one winter. We consider the old evo a family heirloom. Lots of rides years ago in NC mountains and I carried my now 34 year old son to middle school a lot of mornings much to the horror of all the soccer moms.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Buckhorns
Intermediate

I use the red line transmission oil in my 98 Road King. Very good stuff. A couple of oil changes back, I over filled it ( just a little by reading the stick) ,and found that I had a trans leak, and after a lot of searching I found that it was coming from the trans breather hose. I drained a little fluid out , checked the fluid level, brought it up to proper level and have not had anymore leaks..Along with being one of the best Trans oils for Harleys, the pink color is a true indication of a leak from the transission.

Last edited by Buckhorns; 08-10-2015 at 08:44 PM.