EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo Crate Motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009 | 09:01 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Thats a good question. Do us Dyna guys have to worry about that or are they all the same motor mounts. Cause the deals for brand new 80 inch Evo's are all over the place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...item4cec8acbd1

Old 12-15-2009 | 05:57 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by pococj
What are your thoughts/experience with that change? What are good options for case repair in this latest design?
It's all good actually. The later cases lend themselves to being bored for 3 5/8" whereas (especially) the 92 - 95 cases were so thin in that area, doing a big bore will destroy them often as not. (I'd never go big bore on any of them, but just my opinion) I use the newer pinion race/bearing in everything. But they require thorough and meticulous cleaning after lapping the race due to the 360 degree oil journal. I prefer the 4 or 5 piece flywheels, but the 3 piece ones have trued well and I've yet to have to replace the pinion shaft race on any of them. The one piece left case eliminates the problem of oil migration to the primary side since there is no steel insert. And I don't know what you were asking about case repair. (?) Engine mounts are all the same, just depends on the year/frame as to whether it has a case mounted, or remote oil filter.

Old 12-15-2009 | 06:03 AM
Nightking
Banned

Originally Posted by Hackd
Quick Q...Doesn't the dealership have to remove, send in, then reinstall the motor in order to qualify for the remanufacturing process? Or did The MoCo change it's policy?

I looked into the 'option', but since they return the motor to 'original' specificatins (they will remove any aftermarket cams, lifters, etc...I think it's a better choice to rebuild it yourself, or find a motor guy who has the equipment to do it for you. Unless you want a stock motor.

In 04 my 98 model Ultra locked up due to changing to synthetic oil at 30k miles. It was $1976.00 delivered to the dealership. But, that was with my motor as an exchange. The rods were welded to the crank, and I didn't want it anyway. I installed the motor myself, with a warranty on it and everything.

Old 12-15-2009 | 06:22 AM
pococj
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by t150vej
It's all good actually. The later cases lend themselves to being bored for 3 5/8" whereas (especially) the 92 - 95 cases were so thin in that area, doing a big bore will destroy them often as not. (I'd never go big bore on any of them, but just my opinion) I use the newer pinion race/bearing in everything. But they require thorough and meticulous cleaning after lapping the race due to the 360 degree oil journal. I prefer the 4 or 5 piece flywheels, but the 3 piece ones have trued well and I've yet to have to replace the pinion shaft race on any of them. The one piece left case eliminates the problem of oil migration to the primary side since there is no steel insert. And I don't know what you were asking about case repair. (?) Engine mounts are all the same, just depends on the year/frame as to whether it has a case mounted, or remote oil filter.
I was wondering about having to repair the bearing area on the left case.

Old 12-15-2009 | 07:16 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Great first hand info, Nightking!

Pococj, For the left case main bearing, there is basically no repair other than replacing the bearing set. If the bore, whether solid machined aluminum or cast-in steel insert is damaged, you're done... A few guys claim to have succesfully used epoxy to stop oil migration due to porosity and I've thought about it a lot. And anything is possible, but welding and machining that area isn't time/cost effective when you can get new cases with original numbers new from HD.

Old 12-15-2009 | 04:47 PM
beardo
Tourer

'Yea, a Softtail has a post in the center of the frame and "long" primary housing. The engine and transmission bolt to the frame seperately. The "rubber mount" (touring) frame has the short primary and the engine rear end bolts directly to the front of the transmission housing.

I've never ordered a crate engine so I don't know whether you can get both styles...'

Thanks for the response. Has anyone out there put one of these crate motors in a Touring, FXR, or Dyna?

Old 12-15-2009 | 06:54 PM
pococj
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Just looked in the 2009 HD Accessories & Parts catalog. Softail Evos crate motors are in there, and Twin Cams for Softails and rubber-mounts, but no Evos listed for rubber mounts.

Old 12-16-2009 | 11:40 AM
perpulreaper
Cruiser

my buddy sent his motor for a re do and the dealer lost it he ended up with a new motor at no charg his bikes a dresser so they must do them too

Old 12-16-2009 | 12:59 PM
paco
Tourer

Hey fellows,

all evo motors are the same whether they are on a touring bike, a dyna or a softail.

the softail bolts to the frame front and rear. the touring and others use a rubber motor mount in the front and the rear of the motor bolts to the transmission. if i am not in error, the touring, fxr and dyna trans is mounted to the swingarm in the rear.

now the twin cam motors on the touring and softail are different.

later................

Old 12-16-2009 | 09:01 PM
beardo
Tourer

Originally Posted by paco
Hey fellows,

all evo motors are the same whether they are on a touring bike, a dyna or a softail.

the softail bolts to the frame front and rear. the touring and others use a rubber motor mount in the front and the rear of the motor bolts to the transmission. if i am not in error, the touring, fxr and dyna trans is mounted to the swingarm in the rear.

now the twin cam motors on the touring and softail are different.

later................
Thats the answer I was looking for. Thanks very much!!!

Quick Reply: Evo Crate Motor