EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo Crate Motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009 | 12:50 PM
drjones
Cruiser

You are best off sending in your old motor to the mo co, because you will be getting a pretty much brand new engine. If the engine case is messed up, or the left bearing insert loose, you will need new cases any way. HD don't charge extra for anything they replace. I sent a couple in for re-man already. Well worth the price of $1,995???

Old 12-13-2009 | 06:58 PM
pococj
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by t150vej
Yeah, I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of Evo engines accidently left the factory with self-tapping sheet metal screws holding the stator clamp?

LMAO...
What was in my old engine was not the factory screws, but larger regular ol' sheet metal screws that had been jammed in as best the not-mech could do.

Old 12-13-2009 | 07:52 PM
beardo
Tourer

Well, I got a question. Im new to the Evo motor. I have an 87 EG. I thought those HD crate motors were for softails. Dont they mount up differently? Some one please straighten me out on this.

Old 12-13-2009 | 08:31 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member

We did the reman on wifes 85 FXEF. It was the best money we could have spent. I remember the deal was $2500, Two weeks or less, and the HD one year unlimited mileage warranty. They came through on all the above. Didn't need to use the warranty. And best of all it was a drop off/pick-up deal. Or I should say ride in/ ride out. Then the usual break-in of 500 miles.

My 01 FXDXT has 96,000 on it now and at 125,000 I'm going to do the reman again.

Old 12-14-2009 | 04:33 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by pococj
What was in my old engine was not the factory screws, but larger regular ol' sheet metal screws that had been jammed in as best the not-mech could do.
pococj, I was being silly and having too much fun that evening just messing with whomever may not know the difference. Certainly no offense intended

And I can only imagine the sick feeling you exerienced when you saw what had been done...

Old 12-14-2009 | 08:11 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

Somebody educate me here. A new EVO crate motor built to 99 (twin cam) specs? What exactly is the difference between the new crate motor and the old original EVO motor?

Old 12-14-2009 | 08:38 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Somebody educate me here. A new EVO crate motor built to 99 (twin cam) specs? What exactly is the difference between the new crate motor and the old original EVO motor?
Uh, no... 1999 Evo specs meaning

They are the latest design of Evo casting and do not have the steel boss/spigot for the sprocket side main bearing (did away with that in '92 I think) They have the later style pinion bearing race with 360 degree oiling (one feed hole and a journal machined around the outside with 4 delivery holes) slightly different drillings for the tappet feeds, 3-piece flywhel rather than 5 or 4 piece, no provision for bottom breather (top breather only) and the cylinder studs are different - Basically, every improvement made to the cases and top end since 1984.

You can still get bottom breather cases as replacements with the original serial numbers stamped at the factory, but I think they still come with all the later upgrades. Only downside to any of that is you have to buy a special tool to remove the main bearing spacer in order to use a Timken "pre-loaded" bearing set or else clearance and fit that bearing the old fashioned way.

Old 12-14-2009 | 04:28 PM
beardo
Tourer

LOL so does anyone know?

Old 12-14-2009 | 04:56 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by beardo
Well, I got a question. Im new to the Evo motor. I have an 87 EG. I thought those HD crate motors were for softails. Dont they mount up differently? Some one please straighten me out on this.
Yea, a Softtail has a post in the center of the frame and "long" primary housing. The engine and transmission bolt to the frame seperately. The "rubber mount" (touring) frame has the short primary and the engine rear end bolts directly to the front of the transmission housing.

I've never ordered a crate engine so I don't know whether you can get both styles...

Old 12-14-2009 | 08:59 PM
pococj
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by t150vej
(Snip a bit)

They are the latest design of Evo casting and do not have the steel boss/spigot for the sprocket side main bearing... (Snip some more)
What are your thoughts/experience with that change? What are good options for case repair in this latest design?

Quick Reply: Evo Crate Motor