mp
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Evo Crate Motor

HD does their own remanufacturing.

Old 06-27-2007 | 12:16 AM
Campingout
Cruiser

What does it take to install the 99 spec Evo crate motor in an earlier than 99 bike? Mine's an 89 Softail Custom, and I would like to put that same crate motor in it, but don't know how much customization it takes, or if it will even fit/match up?

Help?

Old 06-27-2007 | 12:59 AM
pococj
|
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Campingout

What does it take to install the 99 spec Evo crate motor in an earlier than 99 bike? Mine's an 89 Softail Custom, and I would like to put that same crate motor in it, but don't know how much customization it takes, or if it will even fit/match up?

Help?
What I know right now is the engine itself will be a bolt-in swap. But it will need the correct voltage regulator for the 32 amp alternator. I am wondering about the intake as my '87 has a Keihin butterfly carb, while the '99 had a Keihin CV carb. Ignition module is the same on both models. Your '89 inner primary looks to be the same as the '99, too. Mine is different, but I don't know what, if anything, I'll have to do to make it work.

I keep putting off doing the swap so I can ride a bit whenever the deluges we've been having let up for a day every couple weeks.

Old 06-27-2007 | 01:11 AM
Campingout
Cruiser

Thanks for the response.
The shop (non-Harley) said the place they would get the engine from said differences are; head breather instead of crankcase breather, air cleaner (mine's S&S), oil pump, and oil filter mount.

I fried my engine, and can't decide whether to fix it for $2K or have the new engine put in. Worst part of new crate evo engine is the 30 day wait they quoted me to get one. This shop recommends fixing the engine. They've already torn the engine down, so I'm already in to them for however much $ that is.

Old 06-27-2007 | 02:03 AM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

...I fried my engine, and can't decide whether to fix it for $2K or have the new engine put in....
What happened to it? What are they recommending for repair? How many miles are on it?

Old 06-27-2007 | 07:31 AM
pococj
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for the response.
The shop (non-Harley) said the place they would get the engine from said differences are; head breather instead of crankcase breather, air cleaner (mine's S&S), oil pump, and oil filter mount.

I fried my engine, and can't decide whether to fix it for $2K or have the new engine put in. Worst part of new crate evo engine is the 30 day wait they quoted me to get one. This shop recommends fixing the engine. They've already torn the engine down, so I'm already in to them for however much $ that is.
If you're already into them for the tear-down, it'll be cheaper to do the rebuild.

I forgot about the head breather part of the deal. Had to buy the fittings to do that end of it. I won't be hooking the breather up to the air cleaner; it'll dump on the ground as a good breather should.

New engine doesn't come with intake manifold, carb, air cleaner, so you could use the old carb & air cleaner. I'm not sure about the manifold, as I said earlier.

Old 06-27-2007 | 09:13 AM
Campingout
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mtnlvr

...I fried my engine, and can't decide whether to fix it for $2K or have the new engine put in....
What happened to it? What are they recommending for repair? How many miles are on it?
Riding at hiway speed and the engine started rattling. I should have pulled it over and I knew it, but I didn't. Another 10 miles to the house.

Tappet, tappet roller(s), tappet block, cam, pinion shaft, oil pump (parts) (maybe, hadn't got into it yet), bore the cylinders, and new pistons. They showed it all to me.

I have around 100,000 miles on it. I've always kept it well maintained, but it is a rat.

They will have to split the cases anyway to look for pieces of metal. So for another $800-$1000 they can stroke it, and they are good at that.

I'm having a real hard time putting any more money than I have to into a bike with that many miles. I can't help but think of that same money going towards a new Electra-Glide Standard.

Thanks

Old 06-27-2007 | 08:53 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

Ouch! Tough call. I'd definitely rebuild stronger than get a new stock engine. But the thought of a new bike is tempting too.

Old 06-27-2007 | 08:54 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

In my opinion you can rebuild an old Evo into a better bike than a new Twin Cam for a lot less than the cost of a new Twin Cam. If they're good mechanics, they'll know all the things to do to take care of any weak points in your motor, like tappets. DON'T USE HD TAPPETS!!! I've had two fail; luckily without the disastrous consequences you had. I used Crane the second time, but I'm sure any name brand tappets are better than the OEM.
My '92 has over 125K on it, and I have no desire for a new one. I generally replace failed HD parts with aftermarket; even back then Harley used a lot of cheap parts. It's worse now. I have a lot of replacement parts that have lasted thousands of miles longer than the OEM part did.

Old 06-28-2007 | 12:03 AM
Campingout
Cruiser

I called them today and told them to rebuild it.

pococj: I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

mp and mntlvr: Rebuilding Evo engine stronger instead of buying all new is a very good point. I just wish I would have kept up with what parts are good and what ain't. Be cool if someone had a book on it. And those HD tappets, he told me he just had completed another rebuild that had the same problem, tappet and roller fried (then cam), then little needle bearings and pieces of metal going all through the engine. [:@][:'(][sm=boohoo.gif][sm=crossbonesgif.gif][sm=smiley18.gif][sm=smiley21.gif] I'm going to call him tomorrow and tell him, no more HD tappets or tappet parts. And yes, I need a new oil pump, too.

And you know, I've thought about this before for the whole bike. By the time I end up replacing everything on the bike with stuff I want or for stuff that's cheap and has broken (pipes, carb, ignition, coil, handlebars, on and on), I might as well have just started from scratch and built the thing stronger, better, and the way I wanted in the first place, for similar money. If I had the time...

I mispoke earlier, the shop is a Harley only shop, just not a Harley dealership, and not affiliated with Harley. I've been dealing with them for 20 some years. They've always dealt straight, but can make mistakes like anyone else.

Thanks, this is a very interesting discussion for me.

Quick Reply: Evo Crate Motor