EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Clutch just Shit the Bed???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015 | 06:31 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pothole914
Drained the transmission, Pulled the cover to have a look see while waiting on parts. Throw out bearing looks perfect, spins with ease, no pieces or parts in the cover. I may be missing something but, looks like I didn't need this after all.
not seeing it first hand its all a guess - do the TOBs go bad yep - do you sit at a light with the clutch in ?? i dont know - your explain about what happened was vague and sounded like out of no place the clutch stopped working - the first place to look is adjustments then a TOB - then the clutch its self

you shotgun blasted the problem by buying everything - that should fix it if it was in fact what you bought making it not work

Old 06-18-2015 | 07:16 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Clutch just **** the Bed???

If your dogs get worn then the plates could not seperate properly If you clutch plates get really low on that bdl it will kind of not allow the clutch to disengage sometimes and slip. I like the alto replacement plates

Old 06-18-2015 | 08:12 AM
Pothole914
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by misfitJason
If your dogs get worn then the plates could not seperate properly If you clutch plates get really low on that bdl it will kind of not allow the clutch to disengage sometimes and slip. I like the alto replacement plates
The Alto plates and steels are exactly what I ordered.

Old 06-20-2015 | 11:18 AM
Pothole914
|
Grand HDF Member

And here we are. Put in the new throw out bearing kit from Baker, installed the new clutch plates and steels, adjusted everything and still nothing. When I put it in gear, it tries to pull off then nothing. I can let the clutch out completely with it in gear and I'm able to hold it back. I loosened the adjustment at the hub some and still the same. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions???

Old 06-20-2015 | 11:56 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

If the clutch is good, next thing up the line is the transmission. I'd suggest contacting Mark Baker at Baker Transmissions, has been pretty good about advice and help with their products. Your descriptions make me wonder if a spline has stripped somewhere, still has some friction, but no direct drive left.

Mark@ Baker Drivetrain

Old 06-20-2015 | 01:35 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Clutch just **** the Bed???

Just a guess. But you are letting all the slack out of the clutch cable before you adjust the actual clutch adjuster. Also plate stack should start off with a steel and end with a steel. My other guess is that the clutch plate dropped out of position when you put the pressure plate on

Old 06-20-2015 | 02:03 PM
Pothole914
|
Grand HDF Member

Figured it out, inner cutch hub splines are completely gone. Now to find an inner hub.....

Old 06-20-2015 | 04:19 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Y did you not say the inner primary was full of iron bits - you need to replace the bearing in the hub as well - cleaning the stator rotor is also a must its a magnet

Old 06-20-2015 | 04:47 PM
Pothole914
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
Y did you not say the inner primary was full of iron bits - you need to replace the bearing in the hub as well - cleaning the stator rotor is also a must its a magnet

I don't understand your question. It is an open primary, no Iron bits. The inner hub is aluminum not iron. And, the clutch hub is mounted to the transmission not the crank shaft. No worries about the stator rotor......

Old 06-20-2015 | 04:56 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pothole914
I don't understand your question. It is an open primary, no Iron bits. The inner hub is aluminum not iron. And, the clutch hub is mounted to the transmission not the crank shaft. No worries about the stator rotor......
As long as the tranny shaft is good (steel wins over aluminum,) you'll have it knocked with just the hub replacement (and the throw out bearing and the clutch plates....whew!)

Quick Reply: Clutch just Shit the Bed???