EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Four Speed Trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Houstons4
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Speed Trans

Just pick up a '85 softail heritage with a four speed kicker transmission. Started puking trany fluid, looking to drain the fluid and begin digging in. Several questions. First can't locate a drain plug? SM states drain plug bottom right side between the struts. I see nothing. Motorcycle on a stand, I've used mirrors, cameras everything I can think of? I'm must be blind, can it be possible there is no drain plug. Second question, the previous owner had little info on this bike, Evo was allegedly rebuilt 10k ago, but I'm looking for information on the trans to order new seals and gaskets. Found a stamp BX9135, any ideas on what that indicates?

Last edited by Houstons4; 06-10-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,841 Likes on 1,403 Posts

4 speed transmissions are the same from like the 30's until they stopped making them.

First off, you need a factory shop manual, is that what you have? It will have everything you need including a complete rebuild on the transmission. Drain plug is under there, you just need to find it. Next find out where it is leaking from. A common problem with the 4 speed is the main seal on the output shaft, and the little inner seal between the input and output shafts. Clean everything really well, put fluid in, see if you can find the leak.

Cool bike.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:17 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The picture appears to be the top left side of the transmission. Wrong side.

Look on the right/back side, the drain plug is at the bottom of the transmission; not under.
You will need a 5/8(?) socket with all the extensions you got plus an universal joint to get to it.

Tape the universal joint so it is slightly immobilized to be able to go from the right side of the rear wheel and below level with the transmission.
To get the correct amount of fluid in remove the allen screw on the right side of the transmission and fill until fluid seeps out, bike level. This may be the reason you have a "leak' also because the box was overfilled.

An easy way to but the plug back in is to tear off a small corner of paper towel, lay it across the socket and push the plug into the socket jamming it with the paper towel. Start the plug in the trans. and remove the socket to remove the paper towel then continue to snug up the plug.

After you find the plug this may all make sense to you :-) good luck.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:38 PM
EvoSpringer
Cruiser

That is a rotary top tranny and the drain plug is located on the kicker cover. Its a little allen plug.
When you refill it, it holds like 20-22 oz.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:52 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,180 Likes on 5,614 Posts

Originally Posted by EvoSpringer
That is a rotary top tranny and the drain plug is located on the kicker cover. Its a little allen plug.

Never seen a drain plug in the kicker cover...it is on the bottom pretty much under the shock...and they never made a heritage in 85

Old 06-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Houstons4
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Kabear
Look on the right/back side, the drain plug is at the bottom of the transmission; not under.
You will need a 5/8(?) socket with all the extensions you got plus an universal joint to get to it.
I've been searching high and low on the bottom. You are referring to the side of the box. Per the image that does not look like a drain plug to me? But that is the right/back side.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:55 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Yep that is it!

Old 06-11-2015, 09:41 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 437 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Never seen a drain plug in the kicker cover...it is on the bottom pretty much under the shock...and they never made a heritage in 85

I was going to make the same point - the first year for the Heritage was 1986, and it had a 5 speed, like all 86 and up softails. Somebody could have changed the fenders and stuff to make it look like a Heritage, but none were factory built in 1985.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:54 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 437 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by EvoSpringer
the plug is for the fill level. you fill it until it begins to weep out of the hole.
the drain plug is the one pictured above.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Houstons4
6th Gear

VIN shows it is an '85 Softail, I was not aware the Softail never came with a four speed though?

Although someone made a heritage in 1985

Quick Reply: Four Speed Trans