EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Four Speed Trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:48 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

The softail was introduced in 1984. In 1984 and 1985 the only softail was the base FXST model, and all were 4 speed kickstart/electric start.
In 1986 the softail line was expanded to include the softail custom FXSTC, and the Heritage FLST. All 1986 and newer were 5 speed, no kickstart.

There was no Heritage in 1985. The above bike looks like something somebody later converted, and is not a factory original.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Houstons4
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
The softail was introduced in 1984. In 1984 and 1985 the only softail was the base FXST model, and all were 4 speed kickstart/electric start.
In 1986 the softail line was expanded to include the softail custom FXSTC, and the Heritage FLST. All 1986 and newer were 5 speed, no kickstart.

There was no Heritage in 1985. The above bike looks like something somebody later converted, and is not a factory original.
I appreciate that info. Yes now that I look into it, the VIN shows this as a '85 FXST with a four speed. I have pulled some numbers off the Evo, any way I can find out if this is the original to this bike? Same with the trans any resources for me to look up the number I posted in my initial posting/question?

Much appreciated for everyone help.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

The motor's numbers should match most of the VIN's numbers. The VIN might have an extra few at the beginning. I'm not sure about the transmission. I know HD started stamping or stickering about everything with the VIN at one point, but I'm not sure when that was. People who ride bikes with aftermarket frames, aftermarket cases and OEM everything else to Sturgis had better expect some type of trouble with the PoPo who are trained to spot that and know where every VIN stamp or sticker is located.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 1,206 Posts

In 1985 some if not all came in any combinations of:

80cu in Evo engine or Shovel head.
4 speed tran. or 5 speed tran.
chain drive or belt drive.
butter fly carb, CV came out later, but the CV was part of the Screaming Eagle kit.
and last but not least kick or electric start or both.

My Wife's 1985 FXEF is a Evo with 4 speed and chain drive and electric start. Now with electric start and kick start(added by PO)

Just depends when your bike came down the assembly line and what was left over from previous inventory.

This is not unusual; my VIN shows my FXDXT to be a 2001 bike, but the 2001 Twincam engine had the ignition pick-up on the cam shaft but mine has the pick-up on the left flywheel. The 'real' 01 twin cam is a one of a kind, and mine isn't.

HD uses parts until they run out, not actually by year. So there is some cross over.

So add this to religion, politics, and climate change an argument can be made for either side to rage on continuously for and against, it is what it is. I don't think HD actually knows either.(MHO)

I believe that it is the EVO engine that defines '85 and up, everything else is a toss-up.
Engine VIN should match frame VIN. (This became a requirement in either '76 or '77 just like left side shift)

Old 06-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

The Screaming Eagle carb in that era was a Keihin butterfly that actually worked pretty well. I have two of them on the shelf if anyone wants a period correct carb. One bought in 86, one in 87.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:22 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by Houstons4
I've been searching high and low on the bottom. You are referring to the side of the box. Per the image that does not look like a drain plug to me? But that is the right/back side.

Houston4...that is your drian plug in the pic you posted...My 84 FLH

On early models Softail EVOs the only other place it will be is here... you see 3 across the top and 3 across the bottom. The center-bottom is the drain plug for my '88 FLSTC. Located below the cover and between the exhaust on a stock bike.

Last edited by panz4ever; 06-12-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:03 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kabear
In 1985 some if not all came in any combinations of:

80cu in Evo engine or Shovel head.
4 speed tran. or 5 speed tran.
chain drive or belt drive.
butter fly carb, CV came out later, but the CV was part of the Screaming Eagle kit.
and last but not least kick or electric start or both.

My Wife's 1985 FXEF is a Evo with 4 speed and chain drive and electric start. Now with electric start and kick start(added by PO)

Just depends when your bike came down the assembly line and what was left over from previous inventory.

This is not unusual; my VIN shows my FXDXT to be a 2001 bike, but the 2001 Twincam engine had the ignition pick-up on the cam shaft but mine has the pick-up on the left flywheel. The 'real' 01 twin cam is a one of a kind, and mine isn't.

HD uses parts until they run out, not actually by year. So there is some cross over.

So add this to religion, politics, and climate change an argument can be made for either side to rage on continuously for and against, it is what it is. I don't think HD actually knows either.(MHO)

I believe that it is the EVO engine that defines '85 and up, everything else is a toss-up.
Engine VIN should match frame VIN. (This became a requirement in either '76 or '77 just like left side shift)
I've never heard of a 1985 shovelhead.
Some of the above is correct, when talking about all the different models available in 1985.
We were talking specifically about 1985 softails. All of them were the basic FXST with Evo, 4 speed, kick and electric start, chain final drive.
I purposely bought my 1985 FXWG because it has a belt final drive. It too is an evo, 4 speed, kick and electric start.
Other models did not have kick start, and some had belts while other models had chains. Some were 4 speeds and other models were 5 speeds.
All models had a specific configuration.
I think the mix and match of leftover parts on the assembly line is a myth.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 1,206 Posts

"I think the mix and match of leftover parts on the assembly line is a myth."

Not according to the people I talked to at the factory.

This is the best thread ever, in a way it truly represents all the many differences of owning an HD.

However we did seem to go off topic, hope Houston got his oil changed.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:53 AM
Houstons4
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well sort of... I can drain the trany now that I confirmed that is the drain plug-Thank you!. My issue is a it's puking fluid out while on the jiffy stand, but only drips when upright on the lift. I'm going to replace the main shaft seal(s). Are all four speeds created equal? Meaning what gasket kit (and where do I purchase it) do I need for this specific four speed trany so when I button things back up I'm replacing all gaskets/seals with new. I believe I can do this without removing the trany from the motocycle.

Also upon further VIN decoding I can add some infor to this conversation:
--1HD1BH tells me it a Heavyweight basic Softail manufactured in the US.
--L tells me it's a 1340 EVO
--19 is confusing but the 1 seems to indicate it's a normal introduction year domestic (what's the 9?).
F indicates she's is a 1985
Y = York, PA
Should also note the VIN decoder on this site could not find anything (what's that 9 after the introduction year number?

Evo numbers match the frame. Still can't find the meaning of the BX9135 trany though.

Thanks a ton, I've learned a lot about this bike, as mentioned the PO had very little info on it's history. Definitely mot manufactured as a Heritage though. However as mentioned somebody built a 1985 heritage.

Last edited by Houstons4; 06-12-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:02 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

Are you sure the fluid leaking is from the transmission, and not motor oil?
It could be puking oil from the breather, a common but relatively harmless problem.
Where is your breather hose routed to?

Quick Reply: Four Speed Trans