EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Where is it coming from????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015 | 09:02 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pothole914
I suppose that is possible but, I don't understand how it is JUST the rear cylinder. If that was the case I would think the front cylinder would do the same thing only worse? I'm befuddled.
I had for a year and many miles, oil pop up around the head gasket on the pushrod side of the engine, with no possible place for it to come from. Keep in mind that oil only passes through the heads on the left side, not the pushrod side. Turns out the wind would push oil from my leaky fork seals in just the right position. You never know man... you never know.

Have you tried a new set of plug wires? I have 10mm screamin eagles on my bike. How long does it take the soot to pop up?

EDIT: I'm wondering if you have a tiny rocker box leak on the front cylinder and wind is just pushing it in that direction and it's catching road grime.

Last edited by tmanbuckhunter; 06-15-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2015 | 05:35 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

I think it's time to try mind over matter. If you don't mind, it won't matter. Ride it.

Old 06-15-2015 | 05:41 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Default Carbon track ?

I suppose that is possible but, I don't understand how it is JUST the rear cylinder. If that was the case I would think the front cylinder would do the same thing only worse? I'm befuddled.
I dont think what you are seeing is a carbon track .
I think its a track of something leaking from the upper area above the cylinder ! I asked if you have recently force lubed your cables and you responded as yes .
I suggest that what you are seeing is possibly cable lube and fine metal powder from the wearing of the cables dripping from the cables mounted above the cylinder ? If there are no cables mounted above the cylinder then i am wrong here., if there are then thats where i would look .

Old 06-16-2015 | 12:06 PM
Pothole914
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Ok, now I'm wondering is this could somehow be clutch dust? My clutch went out on me yesterday and when I took it apart, the basket was full of the same looking dust that is getting on my plug wire. Don't know how it would get up there but, I guess it is possible????? Hell, I don't know... LOL

Old 06-16-2015 | 05:06 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Now it sounds like static from plug and wires is collecting that clutch dust you speak of, does it smell or taste the same?

Old 06-16-2015 | 07:49 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, now I'm wondering is this could somehow be clutch dust? My clutch went out on me yesterday and when I took it apart, the basket was full of the same looking dust that is getting on my plug wire. Don't know how it would get up there but, I guess it is possible????? Hell, I don't know... LOL
Wind man... it's nuts...

Old 06-17-2015 | 11:18 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Obviously you have a belt primary then....dry clutch. Very possible. When ever voltage passes through wiring, it will create a field around the wire and the higher the voltage the higher the field. Maybe your wires aren't insulated all that well...

Old 06-17-2015 | 11:28 AM
Pothole914
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Obviously you have a belt primary then....dry clutch. Very possible. When ever voltage passes through wiring, it will create a field around the wire and the higher the voltage the higher the field. Maybe your wires aren't insulated all that well...

Wires are new 10mm. I would think they are well insulated. I can hold them with wet hands and not get shocked. LOL

Old 06-17-2015 | 04:33 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Wires are new 10mm. I would think they are well insulated. I can hold them with wet hands and not get shocked. LOL
I was talking about the magnetic field created... I run belt drive with a dry clutch and have no probs...

Old 06-19-2015 | 09:25 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Just watching because this one has me ??????

Quick Reply: Where is it coming from????